High 99F
Low 76F
MONDAY
Sunny
High 99F
Low 75F

Wednesday - July 31

I love the smell of the universe in the morning. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

You are a match for this universe - a perfect fit.   ...So, as long as you are here, you might as well make the most of it.  Are you doing that? Making the most of it, that is?  Are you living fully, expressing creatively, loving, and being loved?  No? why not?  Is something the matter?  Have you developed the wrong impression?  What is going on?

...begin by giving yourself permission to live fully.  Only you can do this, you know.  No one can do it for you.  Just you.  So go ahead.  Shout, "I give myself permission to live fully because I am a perfect fit in this universe!"  Good to finally live in the truth, isn't it?  -- Jim Lockard

I'm sure busy, but I'm not sure that I'm living fully.  I ask myself, what gives me life, and I'm not sure I'm doing what I ought to.

Skipped training today.  Stayed up way too late working on this project last night.  Slept in a little so I'd get at least 7 hrs.  Thought I might go ride this evening.  Tomorrow up at 3:00 am to travel to Denver for the day.  The long run will have to reschedule for Sunday.  I had hoped to do the coffee ride to the mountains.  Ah well.  Cannot do everything, I suppose.

They finished the second bathroom yesterday!

Today still focused on project work.

Tuesday - July 30

Run
  • 44m
  • 3.61 miles
  • 12m 11s /Mi

This was supposed to be: run to the track do 12 x 880 RPE 3, then run to pool. Achilles hurting so I decided to listen to my body (unlike yesterday when I should have taken a rest day).

Walked a bunch and ran what I could to the pool. Jogged home with walking as necessary.
Massage tomorrow, and stretching every 1/2 hour today. Got to get this under control. I'm not wanting to deal with Achilles and plantar faciatiis.

Swim
  • 47m
  • 2405.95 yards
  • 01m 57s /100 yards

200 wu
4x50 drill
1x1000
7x100 some ebeh
2x50 cd
I'm becoming convinced that the water in the pool, although it feels good, is just to warm to work out hard in. At the end of the 1000 all I wanted to do was stop.

suppose this means I'll have to find another pool. I like this one though because I can easily run to it.

Monday - July 29

Run
  • 31m
  • 2.84 miles
  • 10m 55s /Mi

Just a little run. played with speed a bit. Sort of fartleg - no structure. Just some warm up, some faster some slower.

Legs pretty sore after trying to power up the hills yesterday. I suppose that's why.
It was supposed to be an easy bike ride, but I didn't get any running in this weekend, and overdid the bike, so today was an easy run.

Mistakes are the portals of discovery. - James Joyce.

How do you react when you learn that you have made a mistake?  Stay calm? Freak out?  Many of us freak out, at least a little bit, because we have been trained to have an aversion to mistakes, to being wrong.  The reaction is just that, an automatic response due to conditioning.  We don't think about  it and decide to react -- we just react.  It's like touching a hot stove' we pull back and try to make sure we never do that again.

There is a problem with this.  The problem is, that which we call a mistake is really an opportunity to develop a new awareness.  The awareness might be that a false fact was accepted as true, or that there was a misunderstanding about something, or that a technique needs to be adjusted or relearned.  The automatic negative reaction greatly decreases the likelihood that any productive change will occur.  We feel shame and embarrassment, and we shut down for a time.

...Every decision leads to a set of consequences that flow from that decision. If the consequences are that which we desire, we keep going; if the consequences are not desired, we make a different decision.  If that involves making amends to someone, we do that as part of the process.  That's all.  Simple. - Jim Lockard

Sunday - July 28

Bike
  • 5h 00m
  • 63.00 miles
  • 12.60 Mi/hr

Much, much better. Rode with Yvonne, who was the ride leader, but it was just she and I. I really wanted to wimp out after yesterday's ride, but I always feel better when I'm on the bike.

Forgot my Garmin so the numbers are approximate, but we rode basically with a very quick pit stop all the way to the turn around. Public bathrooms were locked so we stopped at a coffee shop. Coffee and a piece of banana nut bread, Yum! Sat there for just a little bit. While we were there several groups of cyclists rode up. It was pretty fun. Maybe again next week, maybe a different coffee shop. Basically just over two hours up and two hours back. Stops, except for the coffee were brief and to the point. Very much more fun than yesterday, Mostly we just rode and chatted, not too hard, but no goofing around either.

Going up the steep hill after the turn around (1000 ft in 4 miles) I was riding and thinking about what it takes to become a strong hill rider. It must have to do with pedal stroke, and I was playing with the different parts.

Swim
  • 36m
  • 1859.14 yards
  • 01m 56s /100 yards

Wow, after a week out of the water, my times have come down significantly most of my 100's were right at or below 2 min.
This is a meter pool - that's why the distance comes out goofy.

200wu
4x50 drill
3x200
2x100 cd

Saturday - July 27

Bike
  • 7h 28m
  • 99.00 miles
  • 13.26 Mi/hr

Started from the house and rode 1 hr to the ride off point. Then because we had a novice we rode fairly slow. that's ok because I wanted an easy long ride. But his wife drove SAG and I swear we stopped every 10 miles and spent way too much time standing around visiting. Riding time 7:28 actual time 9:11. That's over an hour and a half stopped. Arg - not what I had in mind - totally ate the day. Just being out that long tires me.

Garmin says 9000 ft of climbing. I think it's more like 5000 ft. Not sure what's up with the Garmin - even after "elevation corrections" it's not so good.

The last 15 mile ride down was pretty tough, in spite of the M&M's peanut I ate. I did not pack enough nutrition for a 9 hour ride.
Tomorrow I will eat a full breakfast and take full nutrition for the ride.

Friday - July 26

Rest day today.  Legs were not even sore last night.  There was a huge thunder storm from about 1:00 till 3:00 this morning and there was no sleeping.  So I got up for a while and did a thorough job foam rolling my legs.  Lots of sore spots and trigger points hidden in there.  Today left quad is real sore.  Not sure if it's from running yesterday or from foam roller.Hall bath

pic 2

Hall bathroom is finished!  - except for a little touch up.  He's got the demolition of the master bath done, wall board up in shower, and outlet installed.  Oh this time they did the primer early so it will actually be dry when they paint over it.  It should go on better.  Hall bath chips easily.  Perhaps it will be better when it drys thoroughly.

It's Friday.  I did get some work done this week, but nothing to write home about, and I've got two deadlines next week.  Good thing my workers are taking the weekend off.  Of course I'm riding long tomorrow.  Cool

Thursday - July 25

Run
  • 2h 45m
  • 13.91 miles
  • 11m 51s /Mi

It's working! The training seems to be paying off. Awesome fun run and nothing really hurt. R knee started hurting when I finally started downhill, but I thought about running with 'tone' (muscle tone) and the hurt stopped. Ran a loop that included quite a trail run all the way up into the foot hills, and through wild open space. What fun.

Had an incredible experience. Could smell the trees, and in reaching out I could sense first the cottonwood trees, then one at at time the other types. Really spiritual. Very, very cool.

Big reverse split - probably due more to running down hill than anything else, but going out at about 10-11 min / mi, coming back at 8 to 9.30/mi. Started real easy. One mile loop - stopped back at house for potty, then out a mile before 3x20sec strides, the rest pretty easy. Pace determined by feel. Slowed quite a bit when it got steep and running in the sand. Awesome beautiful morning to be out. Reaching out and feeling the trees is really cool. The wild land bushes don't respond as well.

Strength
  • 30m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • CHEST - pushups single leg
  • CORE - Elbow Bridge (FB)
  • CORE - Reverse HyperExtension (FB)
  • CORE - Side Planks
  • CORE - Superman
  • CORE - Superman (FB)

Myrtl + core

Long run today

Well that came in really big.  Hmm, Well it turns out that you can just drag it to shape in the Blog it window.  That's fantastic!

Regarding the run.  you can see the slow part and the steep part of the run correlate, as does the fast part and all the down hill. 

It's 1:30 in the afternoon, and "all" I've done is run, shower, go to the hardware store twice, once for paint, and then for a new smaller toilet.  The vanity is a bit big.  Cheaper to buy new toilet than new vanity.  Assorted parts for hooking things up.  Still need shower faucet etc, but got the sink for bathroom #2.  Will need tile for there too.  He's finishing bath #1, and plans to start ripping out bath #2 soon.  Wow.  Progress.

Decided not to swim today.  forehead thing still oozing a bit.  Maybe tonight?  Tomorrow is rest day.  Saturday long ride.  No swimming this week, but I'm glad I've got the skin thing taken care of .

jashac's Training Log

July 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned