Sunny
High 96F
Low 73F

Tuesday - July 9

Run
  • 1h 02m
  • 6.01 miles
  • 10m 19s /Mi

4.3 miles to track plus "speed" workout- to pool, swim, 1.65 miles back home easy.
1 mi wu to track
3x200 220 easy 8.35, 9.00 pace
2x440
1x1660
jog over to pool
--or something like that
jog home pace: 1.65 miles 19 min 11.36min/mil no walk/run intervals, just tried to go easy the whole way, walked coming out of the pool, then once at 1.25 mi

Swim
  • 37m
  • 1800.00 yards
  • 02m 03s /100 yards

Speed day. I thought I was at 2000 yards, Garmin agrees, but by my chronograph it's only 1800. I did max out the laps but think I was aware of that. Oh well.
300 wu
5x50 easy/hard
2x100 ebeh
2x200
200 cd and strokes -- all in meters.
my speed is beginning to come back. With an average of 2 min/100 Meters that's not too bad.

Bike
  • 20m
  • 3.50 miles
  • 10.50 Mi/hr

Forgot to start the Garmin, but I know the time. Guess at distance using my average type of speed. Rode up toward the mountains and around the neighborhood a bit.

Easy spin. Quads tired. Just a little seat time to condition the sit parts.

Sue says I should go ahead and buy new wheels. Thinking about that. I really liked the zipp 101's I rode most of last summer, but I'm too cheap to buy them I think.

Monday - July 8

Bike
  • 35m
  • 7.50 miles
  • 12.86 Mi/hr

Trouble getting up this morning. Supposed to be an easy 30min spin today so instead of heading up toward the mountains I rode North parallel to the mountains. Explored city street bike lanes then up toward mountains one mile, then back. Much more pleasant than constantly pushing up a hill.
Did one leg exercise and spin exercises. Got up to 120 rpm. Can you say bouncing in the saddle. Interesting exercise. Working on a more efficient stroke.
Elevation Gain 324 ft, max speed 26, ave 12.8. Lots of stops in the city for every major cross street.

Strength
  • 20m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • CHEST - pushups single leg
  • CORE - Elbow Bridge (FB)
  • CORE - Reverse HyperExtension (FB)
  • CORE - Side Planks
  • CORE - Superman
  • CORE - Superman (FB)

Finally some core work. No weights as I don't have mine up here. good workout none-the-less.

You must learn one thing: the world was made to be free in.    ....Anything or anyone that does not bring you alive is too small for you - David Whyte

So, while there is never a question of belonging, there is always a question of living fully. - Jim Lockard

I feel really good today.  Woke up feeling not-so-good, but after a short spin on the bike, all is well in the world.  Part of it, I think, is because I spent a couple of hours working out my training schedule for the upcoming IM.  Part of it must be the long run and ride this weekend.  Now, It's like it's real and it may be possible to get into IM shape.  The run volume is still daunting, but I think the plan will work, and hopefully produce a slightly better run that last year.  Week one of the plan is done, and Monday of week two is in the bank.

My nutrition yesterday was definitely sub-optimal.  I think it was ok on the bike, but probably a little behind, and even with the two little protein bites, which helped, I need more.  I knew that, just don't have the correct water bottle set up on the bike right now.  But after, I had my recovery drink, showered, then had a couple of eggs.  I knew I needed to eat some carbs, but my stomach just didn't want anything, so I took a nap.  Pizza and a beer for dinner.  It was good, but I'm not sure was the best recovery dinner.  It took till after today's ride before I felt ok.   Bike nutrition: ~ 1 gel every hour, four bottles 1/2 strength gator aide, two protein bites, 1/2 pkg of Cliff shot blocks, Cliff bar at 60 miles or so.  It was hot, and I think I got behind on fluid a bit, and also on energy.  Need to get the rest of my bottle holders on the bike.

Still way behind in my MS fundraising, but I'm making some progress calling people today.

I'm making some progress on project work.  Not much progress on the house.  My sister is planning to come down on Thursday so hopefully we'll get a bunch done.  I should probably organize some in anticipation of her visit.

Sunday - July 7

Bike
  • 5h 51m
  • 83.00 miles
  • 14.19 Mi/hr
Run
  • 17m
  • 1.23 miles
  • 13m 49s /Mi

Brick. supposed to be a run, more of a jog, with a walk through the park. just exhausted and hot after the bike leg.

Garmin says 9500 feet of climbing.  Not sure I believe that.  Need a new mouse, mine is not working correctly.  Will map it when I get the new mouse.

Awesome ride around the mountains, and there was some serious climbing.  I am pooped, and I've already eaten twice and had an hour and a half nap.  Knee is a little sore, that's not so good.

It's this stage of training where it seems so selfish.  All I've done today is work out and eat and sleep.  My favorite video show's the following in sequence

swim    bike   run

eat   sleep

swim bike run

the simple life

simple

Saturday - July 6

Bike
  • 22m
  • 4.90 miles
  • 13.36 Mi/hr

Easy spin warm up for run and a bit of TITS.
I think I'll make this week a bike focus week and try to ride each day a little. Time to harden up the sit upon parts.

Elev gain 374 ft Ave uphill speed 12. improving. Max speed 31.4
Practice using the Garmin in multisport mode

Run
  • 2h 00m
  • 10.40 miles
  • 11m 32s /Mi

Brick run. T1 4 min.
Elev gain 900 ft.

Higdon says that it doesn't matter how slow you run on your long run, it's the time on your feet that counts. I'm not sure about that but I did focus, especially going out, on keeping the pace very easy.

Ran up to Tramway then across out far enough to get five miles. Beautiful morning, some pace booty out there too. When I got to Tramway and turned to run north I noticed a lovely young woman behind me. She eventually caught me at a stop light. I was running slow, and doing a 3:1 pace. She took off, and I assumed that she would run off and leave me. Well, she got about 10 feet ahead and just did not leave me. After about two minutes I decided that was enough and didn't want to be creepy, so I caught her and chatted a bit. It was nice, because although she was quite nice looking and nice to follow, following that close and not running together is just weird. the word she used was intimidating. Told her she would leave me when I stopped to walk. And she did. Still in the distance she made for good pace booty. I got a big smile when she turned around and our paths crossed again.
splits including stopping at intersections and to remove pebbles from my shoes:
The downhill last three miles sure helps the pace. Worked on form and turn over.

Strength
  • 20m

myrtl and run strength exercises. Skipped the lunges and single leg Romanian dead lifts because I don't' want to be sore tomorrow for long ride. Post run stretching.

A man begins cutting his wisdom teeth the first time he bites off more than he can chew. - Herb Caen

Switched long run and long bike this weekend.  Tim invited me to ride tomorrow.  We're pretty well matched, although he's a bit stronger and certainly a better climber.  Riding off from a place about 10 miles from here that I can ride to.  He wanted to ride about 60, I was thinking about 80ish, and told him so.  He's picking the route, hope he finds something interesting.  I wonder if I'll end up with a 100 tomorrow.  If so, I'm afraid it will be tough.  Not sure I'm ready for that, especially after a 10 mile run today.

I'm excited about being able to run 10 miles today, and the last miles although tiring were not really tough.  Could really feel them around my hips.  I think the myrtle exercises are helping.

today's schedule - work this afternoon, and grab a nap.

A bit of not so good news about my bike.  took it to the shop to tighten up the rear wheel bearings yesterday.  It turns out that the bearings are worn out.  How does one wear out wheel bearings?  I didn't even know you could do that.  Maybe it's because the wheel is just a bit out of round.  I've only ridden it for basically 4 years at 4K/year, that's 16,000miles.  Not sure it's worth putting in new wheel bearings if I cannot get it actually round again. And my derailleur hanger is bent.  That might explain why in my biggest cog in the back the derailleur just barely sometimes touches one of the spokes.  So I don't stand in that gear.  Ordered a new one last night.  I have an extra at home, just not here.  Want a new one before trying to bend the old one back.

Oh, I found some interesting trails heading off toward the mountain from Tramway.  Perhaps as my runs get longer I can do some trail running.  That will be fun and certainly change things up a bit.  Need to figure out some way to keep the little pebbles out of my shoes.  Saw a girl head up one of the trails in her Five Fingers.

Friday - July 5

Run
  • 59m
  • 3.97 miles
  • 14m 51s /Mi

Rest day walk. somehow when walking with Emmy it's easy to maintain a steady 15 min pace. By myself not so much. I had to keep stopping to pull little pebbles out of my shoes. Lovely morning but getting warm by the time I started. 190 feet of climbing.

Training the walk today.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin

Courage is the capacity to override fear where appropriate  Courage is never present unless fear is also present. - Jim Lockard

Thursday - July 4

Run
  • 1h 43m
  • 8.80 miles
  • 11m 41s /Mi

To pool, then 7 mile route back. the morning was beautiful, and I'm not sure what happened to the time between when I got up and when I went out the door. The usual stretching but then? Easy run to the pool, swim then started off towards the mountains. Had to stop at a McDonalds to use the restroom, but then I felt free to just run. For some reason, even though today is supposed to be work day I was feeling the holiday. Ran up to Tramway and along the trail there. Lots of runners out and that was fun. One little jaunt up an arroyo just before crossing the bridge to come back.
Ran on a 3:1 and on the way up toward the mountains I tried adding in strides at the end of the 3 min run for 20 seconds or so.
500 ft of elevation gain. Pace including walking maintained 12 to 13min/mi (including stopping for stop lights etc.

Run pace quite consistent very close to 10 min/mi. Tailed off just a bit at the end. Perhaps the reason it was so consistent is because the last 3 miles is downhill. :)

Swim
  • 23m
  • 1202.97 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards

Just running late, so I got a 1/2 hour work out.
200 wu
4x50 drill
100 ebeh 1.54

my speed is definitely improving. Also swimming better with better breath control. Now I just need some endurance.

If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. - Lao Tzu

I continue to be amazed that I was able to go run a 1/2 IM with only just over one month of training.  

Massage yesterday was pretty awesome, but she didn't stay away from my lower back and today I'm paying for it.  I'm still able to move around.  Alarm is set for every 45 minutes.  I'll go lay on floor and stretch.

Today: time accounting for June, and get invoices out.  Date tonight.  Dinner at the top of the mountain with views of the fireworks throughout the city.  Should be fun.

Wednesday - July 3

Bike
  • 43m
  • 8.60 miles
  • 12.00 Mi/hr

Active recovery - easy ride up to the mountains, 'getting lost' in some side streets because the main bridge over the highway was closed due to a fire, probably last weekend. Everything around the base is burned, and because the causeway leading up to the bridge is wood, it probably has to be inspected. It looks scorched a bit. I hope it's ok. Actually there were a couple of detours through neighborhoods, mostly just for fun and because today was an easy spin.

It actually rained on me a little. Love the rain, haven't had any here in months. I noticed on the garmin readout that my uphill speed has increased from about 10 mph when I started riding here to 12 mph this morning. And today was an easy ride. Cool, progress.

Raising money to fight Multiple Sclerosis.  I'm riding two MS 150 rides this summer to raise money to support people who have MS and to help find treatments and a cure for MS.  Will you please support me with a donation?

Here are my web pages:  Cactus and Crude - West Texas ride     Pedal de Los Pueblos - NM web page  -- The donate to Jasha button is right under my goofy picture.

Found a new massage therapist today.  She was pretty close to awesome.  I really needed someone who does a Swedish massage with some triggerpoint therapy.  And she did.  She found my sorest spots, and really helped muscles relax.  She was responsive to direction, and just really helped my poor legs.  On top of that she was reasonably priced and close to my dad's house.

jashac's Training Log

July 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned