WEDNESDAY
Sunny
High 60F
Low 41F
Bike
  • 6h 09m
  • 102.00 miles
  • 16.59 Mi/hr

6600 ft of climbing - Pedal Los Pueblos, first day of MS 150.

Beautiful day. Chased the fast guys out and held on till myself and a few guys behind me missed the sharp turn onto the dirt crossover to frontage road. I ended up pulling down the hill to the turn off back to the frontage road. I thought I was riding too fast, but when we turned back to the frontage road the other pack had just passed ,and I could not bridge the gap. The guys behind me were two triathletes who were not into forming a new peleton and another weaker rider or two.

Rode by myself till my New Mexico buddies Gary and Perry and a couple others caught me. We rode as a five man peleoton through the 100 mile out and back. Gary went on then and I rode with Perry had a great visit. He is a dance host on cruse line boats in the winter..

Caught Gary at lunch and joined up with four other WRW team members who were riding the 88 mile loop. Their pace was a bit easier which I appreciated, and we rode together almost all the way to the finish. Gary had two flats and we were sad to have to stop and rest while he fixed them. :)

Great ride, and I'll take a 16.5 mile pace over a course with 6600 feet of climbing. I was very please to be able to pretty much hang with the faster guys, at least in the rollers. Most of my uphill speed was in the 11-12 mph, with only one short stretch dropping down to 5.

did not take perpeteum for the ride, and that was a mistake. I was famished and spent by lunch. Recovered with some food, but would have been stronger if I had my magic sauce. And it would have been easier to keep up with nutrition on the earlier part of the ride.

Swim
  • 10m
  • 300.00 yards
  • -----

The hotel pool is shaped sort of like a figure 8. I thought it was bigger, but the straight part is maybe 15 yards? there's an island in the top part of the 8. So I ended up doing some laps around it. It was fun and interesting and the very cool water felt good, but as far as actual swimming it was not really a workout.

Got cold and got out. It took me a good 15 minutes of sitting with my feet in the chilly water to convince myself that I actually wanted to swim a little.

I think I was too worn out from the bike. Three problems: Went out very hard, and rode very hard. Nutrition was not what it should have been. It got hot in the last one to two hours, and I probably didn't drink enough either.

All in all a great ride, not such a good swim.

Strength
  • 15m

e-cises

Swim
  • 53m
  • 2788.71 yards
  • 01m 53s /100 yards

Got to get in a lane with the fastest swimmer in the water when I got there. A young woman to boot. I get a kick out of watching people's stroke. She swam straight through. I did get to visit with her briefly when she stopped. Said she swam 2 miles, but not training for anything. I did not offer swim tips. :)

Did not feel so great to start with, but I got through my 3x500 and eased up on the last one. Learning to pace myself a bit. Just felt hot at the end of each one.

200 wu
5x50 drill - added single arm and arm pause drills
3x500. 9.48, 9.58 and 10.20
3x100 ebeh
300 cd with strokes and stuff.

Run
  • 45m
  • 3.39 miles
  • 13m 16s /Mi

Walk, with some run. Warmed up very thoroughly and started real slow. did not push the run at all. Good news - no adverse reaction from the calves or achilles. The other interesting thing, I ran real easy and real slow and yet my run pace was 9:30 to 10:00. That's a good pace for me these days.

I'm excited that I could run and not hurt. Used the five fingers. Took it real easy, walked a bunch.

This week was supposed to be an 18 mile run, but I think I know better than that. I need to rehab the calves and achilles so that I can run long. How do I go about doing that, and still get the training I need to run 26.2 on November 2?

Right knee hurt to walk. I almost turned around at .25 miles. decided that since it didn't hurt to run, I'd run a bit. Everything got a bit better after that.

For we walk by faith, not by sight. - 2Corinthians 5:7

Prayer is the set of windshield wipers for clear vision in the moment as well as progress from here.  Despite how fit and strong we are, how wise and clever, and despite the wealth or honors that we have accumulated, we encounter time when all we know is that we don't know.  ..Then nothing avails us but to hand our confusion over to Something greater than we are,  ..This we do through prayer.  Although the sky may not immediately clear, we can see the road ahead and take things mile by mile until it does. - Jesse G Jennings

Or as Yanti reminded me, sometimes we take that step even when we cannot see the footing ahead - it's a leap of faith.

Suppose I'll ask for guidance in planning my recovery.  And for help with patience and wisdom to know how much to do.

So glad to be able to run a bit this morning.  Timer is set for 30 minutes to stretch throughout the day.

I've got to finish this project in spite of the hitch in the plan.  The data is telling me something that I didn't / we didn't expect.  I've got to finish the work and get back to my client.

Spent an hour last night packing boxes and moving my sister's to the car to be dropped off at UPS.

Noticed this morning that my back tire is flat.  That patch of goatheads must have been rich.  Time for a trip to the bike store for tubes and CO2.  MS 150 is this weekend.  Need to have enough supply.  I think I'm down to my last CO2. 

Next week I head for home on Wednesday - dr's appts on Thursday and Friday.  Do I take the time to go through Ruidoso to drop stuff off, and get it out of here?  There's going to have to be a truck at some point anyway.  I'll take boxes to Midland though.  Do I take my bike all that way just to ride on Saturday?  Or should I drive back on Saturday?

So yesterday afternoon I was really sleepy and decided to lay down for a 1/2 hour.  Woke up with the alarm then got up two hours later.  Guess I needed some sleep.  I'm finding that on Wednesday or Thursday each week I have a bit of a crash.  I need to get to bed earlier!  Perhaps I would not be hurt If I was getting enough sleep.

Bike
  • 1h 16m
  • 17.88 miles
  • 14.12 Mi/hr

Easy spin today. Up to Tramway and across. Had a flat having run through some goat heads. Found the one pretty easy and pulled it. Put everything back together then decided to inspect the tire one more time from the outside. Found another that hadn't made it's way through to the inside. The thorns are shaped like an arrowhead, once they're in the tire they continue to work their way in unless you see it and pull it. I was glad I thought to check the outside. 15 min to change the tire. Not very speedy. took a little effort and time to get the tire back on. And I checked the tire four times to make sure there were no more stickers. I'll not ride that bike path any more. they just mowed and it threw stickers all over. Best stick to the streets for another month or so.

Run
  • 40m
  • 2.43 miles
  • 16m 27s /Mi

No running for me till the achilles heals. So this was a brick walk. Felt pretty good. Legs felt pretty much fine. There were a couple of tweeks, but nothing hurt, and they were pretty relaxed afterward.

Lets call it active recovery from injury.

No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society.  If we're looking for the sources of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power. - P.J. O'Rourke

Massage today.

Project work.  Ran into a snag - now I've got to think, solve this problem.

Packed boxes for an hour last night, one for each kid and a couple with my stuff.  Time to get serious about cleaning out this house.

Run
  • 53m
  • 3.40 miles
  • 15m 35s /Mi

Walk to the pool. Begin rehab of calves and Achilles. Good news is that my calves, although tight, do not hurt. Sometimes it's really hard to not run. Still, I've got to be serious about this and get them healed as quickly as possible, and without delay due to re-injury.

Nice morning for a walk though with the clouds turning pink over the mountains with the sunrise.

Swim
  • 49m
  • 2296.59 yards
  • 02m 07s /100 yards

Someday perhaps I'll actually swim a 3000 yard work out. I just run out of energy. My friend Stephanie says that the pool is too warm. Perhpas I should find a cooler pool. Hope to finish up here in a month then I'll be back in my usual pool.

200 wu
10x50 drills including the single arm. need to figure out what's up with stroke on my left side.
2x50 strokes and cd
not sure about the end of the workout. my watch ran out of laps. There might have been another 100 or two in there.

Strength
  • 15m

Pull ups / push ups, a few lunges and e-cises

Throw your dreams into space like a kite, and you do not know what it will bring back, a new life, a new friend, a new love, a new country. - Anais Nin.

I suppose that after one takes a few days off from running to heal one's achilles and assorted calf issues, one should not make the next run the longest of the season.  Perhaps one should start off again with some short runs.  Lesson learned. [I hope]

Took today off.  Achiles are both sore.  The right which felt ripped yesterday feels ok but tight today.  The left which felt ok yesterday is bused and sore today.   Someday I'll learn how to train for running.  Or maybe just remember lessons I've learned in the past.  Two weeks ago I hit the speed workout way too hard.  That's what started this whole mess.  Now to heal, rehab and try to recover fitness.

Got my condo and air fair booked for IMFL.  Cool

Run
  • 1h 40m
  • 8.37 miles
  • 11m 56s /Mi

Okay - that's not what I had in mind. Achilles felt pretty good yesterday, no pain and no tenderness.

Got moving late, and needed to be back to take my sister to the airport, and somewhere out there my achilles started hurting. The right, not left, like last week. Stopped to massage it. Still pretty sore. Came back early to be sure I'd be here in time for the airport trip. We had to cancel that because she's in too much pain to travel.

Probably a good thing I cut it short given the achilles situation. I'm beginning to think I know from where the problem is originating. I'll work on it with the thera-cane later.

We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle

Working on project today.  Need to finish it for my client today.  No distractions. 

Well, except that we told the neighbors that we'd have dessert here Sunday night and they could take a look at the renovated bathrooms.

Why do I constantly overbook myself?

jashac's Training Log

August 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Time
Distance
Time