Sunny
High 97F
Low 78F

Wednesday - August 7

Run
  • 2h 10m
  • 11.58 miles
  • 11m 13s /Mi

According to my plan it was supposed to be 8 miles, max of 10. BT's plan called for 2:17 time.
I accidentally ran 11.5 miles. Oops.

I just love this loop. running up the open space toward the mountains pre-dawn is simply fabulous. And then there was this lovely young lady with a beautiful German Shepard running on a parallel path. She was so graceful and strong, I just had to keep running.

30 min at z-1, 20 min at z2, 20 min at z-3. speed didn't vary a lot, but the z3 was on the steepest part of the run in the last of the trail. 700 ft total climbing. Reverse split again due to slope change.

I found it interesting that after running continuous Monday that today I didn't really want to take the walk breaks. moved to a 4.30/.30 run/walk mostly. Long break on the hour for nutrition.

How you perceive life is how you handle life and, ultimately, how you experience life - Ahmard Vital

Notice the order of the verbs. - Jesse G. Jennings

Another spiritual experience running this morning.  I could feel the trees and the grass this time.  I'm getting better at this.  Once I thought I could feel the mountains.  They're very...  like low frequency.  But it was only once and fleeting.  Communing with the universe.  I am a child of the universe.

Bills all paid - invoices out.  Must focus on work.  Software license expires on Friday.

Tuesday - August 6

Bike
  • 51m
  • 12.05 miles
  • 14.18 Mi/hr

Up to tramway. Legs quite tired this morning. sore from yesterday's lunges.
mostly intermediate pace with some pickups. spin outs on the way back down hill. ~ 800 ft of climbing.
Lovely to get out before the sunrise. 65 degrees and just beautiful.

Swim
  • 40m
  • 1968.50 yards
  • 02m 02s /100 yards

10 min T1. 10 min to pool.
Nice little swim. I can feel myself getting stronger, although my lats were sore from pull ups yesterday.

200 wu
8x50 drill
2x200
100 side stroke

Still having a tough time continuing past about 200 yards. Speed is coming back though.

Monday - August 5

Run
  • 22m 57s
  • 2.25 miles
  • 10m 11s /Mi

Plan called for 20 minutes at z1 no higher than z2. Since it was such an easy pace I decided to tell my legs shut up when the started whining about walking a bit. It was wonderful. I just told my body that the pace was easy and all it needed to do was supply whatever nutrition or oxygen that was needed to keep going.

Paused once at two intersections and had to stop and wait for traffic for a minute at one intersection.

Strength
  • 30m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Advanced Obliques
  • ABS - Bicycles
  • ABS - Crunches
  • CORE - Elbow Bridge (FB)
  • CORE - Reverse HyperExtension (FB)
  • CORE - Side Planks
  • CORE - Superman
  • CORE - Superman (FB)

push ups 20 + 25
pull ups 2x10
lunges no weight & 16 lbs
SL calf raises 10, +10 at 16
Myrtle exercises

Everything starts as somebody's daydream. - Larry Niven

What's my daydream?  Where do I want to go with my life?  What do I want to do, and what do I have to do to make that happen?  These things I'm working on. (sort of)

Things on the list, in no particular order:  get laid, ski South America with my kids, ski Jackson Hole, stay healthy, maybe get a dog, IMFL again.  Kona would sure be cool. Pay off my debts, become financially secure, work a little less and play a little more.  Transition to prospecting from consulting. Continue to connect spiritually to the Universe on my morning outings.

I'm confused.  Thursday I got back from Denver with two brown socks, one on each foot.  I took them off and put them in the hamper.  Friday morning I took all the dark clothes out of the hamper and put them in the wash.  When the machine finished I took all the clothes out of the wash and put them in the dryer.  When I took them out of the dryer, there was only one sock.  How did that happen?  Did the sock fairy come during the night?  There was no quarter under my pillow.  I looked.

Good weekend of training, and after today's recovery workouts, I feel really good.  No work done over the weekend so I've got to get busy.

Sister is coming down on Friday to do more work on cleaning out Dad's stuff from the house.

Sunday - August 4

Bike
  • 5h 47m
  • 73.60 miles
  • 12.73 Mi/hr

I had just written my riding partner a text saying I hoped she was ok when she pulled into the parking lot, 10 minutes after ride off time. I had already decided to go without her. People that are that late piss me off. But I do enjoy riding with her. Next time I'll meet her farther up the road so that I can get a good ride in before joining up. And somewhere that I can be riding while she's coming late.

Good ride. I wanted an easyish ride, and with Yvonne, I've got to take it a little easy, although not too bad. I noticed this week though that I feel stronger climbing the hills. Maybe the training is paying off. Or maybe last week's attempts at climbing strong are paying dividends.

Reviewing the Garmin, we spent too much time at the coffee shop. Almost an hour. There's no need for that I think. 10 minutes at each of the other rest stops, and that's pretty good.

Total time 7 hours, and that's too long. But most of the slop is at coffee. As much my fault as anyone's. The iced coffee and cinnamon roll were real good, and the atmosphere is very nice.

Thinking I need to do this route with a stronger rider so I can work harder up the hills. Yvonne usually will not draft going down the hills so I drop her there and wait till she catches up on the uphill. We ride similar going up. She did draft the last 15 miles into a strong head wind. :) I'm glad. I was about finished riding.

It's now 6:00 pm and all I've done today is ride, eat, shower and nap.
Lovely, lovely day riding through pine forest into the scrub. Views unparalleled, and on the way back the thunderclouds were building up. We got rained on twice and the lightening was threatening, but never got too close. Stopped for about 5 minutes extra at the triangle on the way back to shelter out a brief thunderstorm.

73.6 miles, max speed 42, ave speed almost 13mph, climbing 3800 ft. Headwind going into the canyon in the morning and coming out of the canyon in the afternoon.

Now go and make interesting mistakes, make amazing mistakes, make glorious and fantastic mistakes.  Break rules.  Leave the world more interesting for your being here. - Neil Gaiman

We often miss the growth opportunities in our mistakes, because we are so afraid to deal with the situation once the mistake has occurred. - Jim Lockard

This week's workouts pretty much got derailed.  Rode too much last weekend and was worn out/ injured at the beginning of the week, then work interfered with Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  This weekend was good, workout wise, but not so much on the scheduling and combining work with the rest of what I need to be doing.

Learning and adjusting.  Probably the best thing I can do is stay on a schedule where I get up early and get things done in the early part of the day.

Best climb today was coming out of Madrid - 4 miles at an average grade 3.9 %  That's the one that made me so sore last week.  I took it easier this week.

Saturday - August 3

Run
  • 2h 59m
  • 15.39 miles
  • 11m 37s /Mi

Well, it was not the peak experience run like last week's 14 miler. But still a long run in the bank. Things hurt at the end, although after lunch and a nap it's not too bad. I sure love running up here. The scenery is wonderful and it's cool (ish).

Up Osuna through part of the open space to Tramway, then north till I got the mileage. Had a chance to run with a young fellow Aaron, for a while he was on the last two miles of his longest run ever, 17 miles, training for an October marathon. it was great to have someone to run with and visit a bit. It sure takes your mind off the various aches and pains.

Reverse split again due to elevation. :-)
Left knee hurt pretty bad at completion. Seems to be better after the nap and stretching a lot.
3/1 run/walk. 941 ft of elevation gain.

Swim
  • 30m
  • 1585.74 yards
  • 01m 53s /100 yards

250 wu
4x50 drill
3x100
200cd
Feet kept cramping. I suppose they didn't want to swim after running. Oh well, it was mostly just to get in the water some. Stroke felt real strong though. Too bad about the feet.

Strength
  • 30m

Myrtle run exercises and e-cises for feet and ankles - right after run and before swim.

Friday - August 2

Run
  • 22m
  • 1.99 miles
  • 11m 03s /Mi

Short easy run. Left calf tight and pulling.

I had to do something. ONe of the rules: don't go three days without doing something.

If there's something you want to do, sit down and start working in that direction. - Michael Naranjo

There was an article on NPR this morning about Michael.  He's a Viet Nam veteran. Blind since then.  Incredible artist specializing in bronzes.    Great advice.

Wednesday was Unplanned Rest Day, Thursday travel, which brought me to my Friday rest day.  Slept in till almost 7:30 this morning.  Really needed some sleep.  Had to do something so I opted for a short run.

Date tonight to go to Concert at the Zoo.  Ruthie Foster - Should be good.  I've never heard of her, but her YouTube videos sound wonderful.

It looks like I've got the Coffee Shop Ride lined up for Sunday.  Yvonne said she'd like to do it again.  I may skip the Novice ride on Saturday, even though they're riding somewhere I'd like to go but have never been.  I should run long on Saturday because I missed that key workout this week.  15 miles.  Next week 8 miles.

Thursday - August 1

Wow, what a day.  Up at 3:00 to catch a flight to Denver.  Meeting in the morning, then lunch.  Prospect review after lunch. 

Run to airport to catch the 3:00 flight.  I might make it back in time to get a nice ride in.  Nope, plane delayed three and a half hours.  Oh well, it was raining pretty hard when we got back to town at 8:00 - not such great riding weather.  Long day.

I did get to sit in the airport and visit with my client for a few hours.  I haven't really ever gotten to know him much.  What a guy.  I would guess he's 60 by looking at him, his activity and the way he moves.  80 years old.  Inspiring.  Plays tennis and golf.

jashac's Training Log

August 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned