FRIDAY
Sunny
High 48F
Low 33F
Run
  • 2h 01m
  • 8.85 miles
  • 13m 40s /Mi

This was a bit longer than I meant to go. Started out walking, then went to a 1:3, 1 run 3 walk. the run distance crept up just a bit, but I was fairly faithful to it. Quads are better but still very sore. I was able to do 1/2 squats today. Running hurt at first but not too bad. I was tempted to run longer, but mostly held to the plan. Legs were pretty trashed by the end. Walked almost all the way home from the pool.

Swim
  • 23m
  • 1202.97 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards

As I got into the last 1/2 hour of the run to the pool I wondered if maybe I was going too far after the tough 1/2 mary last Sunday.

After 1/2 an hour in the pool, I was just done. So I suppose I did maybe push it too far too soon. Oh well.
200 wu
5x50 drill
quit.
disgusted with myself, but I just didn't want to do it any more.

On my way out onto the last bit of run/walk home I inhaled a bit of my gel. Coughed almost all the way home. That stuff is not to be inhaled. got that? don't inhale. :)

Strength
  • 15m

myrtl and e-cises after run.

Limits, like fears, are often an illusion. - Michael Jordan

Pushing a bit on my limits today.

Working on the probate Dad's will stuff.  I am glad I'm not a lawyer.  The debate parts of law are interesting to me, but wading through legal mumbo jumbo, even when it's pretty clear is boring.  Spent two hours last night and mostly understand the filing part, and the process.  It just takes time I'd rather spend doing something else.  Almost anything else.

Forecast is for rain today.  This morning we were not clouded over yet, and the clouds were playing with the mountain, and the ones across the valley were gorgeous when the sun first hit them.  Cloudy today.  good day to spend in front of the workstation.

Achilles/calves a bit sore after today's 'run.'  Will stretch every 1/2 hour through the day.

Bike
  • 1h 15m
  • 18.00 miles
  • 14.40 Mi/hr

It rained all day yesterday so this morning there were clouds hanging against the mountains and wisps of clouds hanging in the valley. Gorgeous cool morning. I actually wore my wind vest to start out. ave speed 14.4, max speed 29.5. It's just not flat here. Must not be in Kansas.

Almost all the way back I passed a cyclist who it turns out rode with our MS team. Slowed down and rode with him for 10 minutes and visited before I had to turn toward home.

Strange thing happened early in the ride. My front light just popped off and went skittering along the pavement in front of me. It was barely light enough to find it. Fortunately I was on a bike path. Broken at that point of course. I have two spares at home, and usually when I ride real early I ride with two, but I never brought the spares up here. Now that the days are short, I wish I had my back up lights. But, because of the delay I got to ride a bit with Matt. It's interesting to me how things work out. Somebody is looking after me.

Legs were really tired starting out. Felt better after a while. Strong on the way back.

Strength
  • 20m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • CHEST - pushups single leg
  • CORE - Elbow Bridge (FB)
  • CORE - Reverse HyperExtension (FB)
  • CORE - Side Planks
  • CORE - Superman
  • CORE - Superman (FB)

little core work and some push ups. When I went outside to do my pull ups from the tree branch the neighbor's mom was out and talkative. We visited for 10 minutes instead of doing pull ups. Just funny.

no lunges today. quads will not hear of it.

You have to live spherically - in many directions.

Unbelievably good things can happen, even late in the game. - Under The Tuscan Sun

I watched Under The Tuscan Sun last night.  It's very encouraging.  But of course when I look at the heroine, she looks like a kid to me.  Maybe 30ish.  But still the moral of the story is heartening.  Fun movie.  Speaking of movies we went to see The Flight of the Butterflies at the local Imax type of theater.  Wow great story and it's the first 3D movie I've seen.  I had to sit on my hands to keep from reaching out for the butterflies.  Great story about the Monarch Butterfly migration and the scientist who figured it out.

Today I can actually do a 1/4 squat.  That's way better than yesterday.  Smile

Lots of work today and I need to look into probating my dad's will.  I'm less than excited about that, but I suppose it's got to be done.  I just don't want to take the time to learn all the stuff  I need to get it done.  Oh well, time to pull on my big girl panties I suppose.

Need to work on my bike a bit.  See if I can make the new computer work, tighten a spoke, fix the 'broken' light.

Run
  • 58m
  • 3.54 miles
  • 16m 23s /Mi

Walk to pool and back. Wow sore. Super sore. The slightest up hill or downhill hurt. After 3/4 of a mile I thought I'd try a little jog. Not to be. just hurt, then I felt incredible fatigue.

You know your quads are sore when it hurts to shave them.

Beautiful morning. Really dark going over, and coming back the clouds were rolling over the mountains under a higher overcast. Lovely, brooding, quite dark gray morning.

Swim
  • 52m
  • 2734.03 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards

Lovely lane mates today. AND a couple of them paced me a bit, which reminded me to swim with some purpose. fun. And the guy two lanes over started an IM discussion. I was wearing an IM swim cap to keep the water off my forehead.

Really nice swim. Mostly I felt pretty strong today. My turn over is slow, but I'm getting a great pull. I've been working on that. I suppose if I was serious I'd find some swim cords.

200 wu
4x50 drill
2x400
100cd
Focused on long body position and the push part of the pull today.

Do more of what you love.

Yes.

Really productive yesterday, errand wise.  I got my stitches out and wow, it started feeling better almost right away.  I hardly notice it now.  Swim went fine with the swim cap and forehead stayed dry.  And bonus - got an 8 minute conversation out of it.  I don't usually time my conversations, but everything in a swim workout gets timed.  Actually I felt even stronger after the break.

Today: work,  review 2012 taxes and sign, get new bike computer installed.

Bike
  • 1h 10m
  • 18.00 miles
  • 15.43 Mi/hr

Forgot to start my garmin, but I know this route and the time it took.
Easy, easy spin. I did try to pick it up a little on the slightly downhill return. Whew, not much in my sore legs today.

Quads didn't hurt on the bike.

My inner child looks at the world with eyes of wonder.  We know how to have fun and together we do something special and wonderful each day. - anon.

I do have an inner child, and we do play.  I should get out and play more.  Perhaps that's part of my next 60 years plan.

That little run yesterday, 1602 feet of climbing and 2096 feet of quad busting descending.  My quads are so sore I almost cannot sit down.  I start then sort of fall into the chair.  Stretching every 1/2 hour.  On the plus side, riding my bike for the first time in a week was awesome.  Helmet modifications worked ok.  Achilles are not really hurting - that's a big plus.

Beginning of a new week.  Got my invoices done this morning.  Need to find a doc and have my stitches out, and get a prescription filled here.  Still need to get the oil changed.  And I'm so excited about being back in the pool and on the bike.  This will be a very large week volume wise.  But after essentially two weeks of rest, I'm ready and excited to continue on the path to IMFL.

Here's the elevation profile from yesterday's 1/2 marathon.  Yup those are some serious hills.  I walked a lot of the steep uphills.  But there was this kid (I visited with him) who finished in 1.32.  I can run that fast.  for one block.  Downhill. With a tail wind.  Surprised

dirty 1/2 Mary elevation profile

Run #1
  • 12m
  • 1.00 miles
  • 12m /Mi

little warm up run around the neighborhood

Run #2
  • 3h 03m
  • 13.20 miles
  • 13m 51s /Mi

Dirty 1/2 IM trail run. Wow. Rocky, steep, technical in spots, but way fun and scenic. A couple of people saw bears. They were probably long gone when I got there. I did trip three times, but managed to stay on my feet.

Almost last place, but first in AG. Age can be a great advantage. Sometimes it's just enough to show up and compete.

My quads - totally trashed. The rest of my legs mostly trashed. Luckily they had a massage therapist. Took an ice bath when I got home. Legs hurt so much I pretty much couldn't nap, but I laid down for an hour anyway. Took two aspirin after the nap. Felt pretty good after they kicked in. Hope I'll be able to get out of bed tomorrow morning. :)

Garmin won't upload. I really want to know what the vertical was. It was big, whatever it turns out to be.

Look for the good and praise it, because whatever you praise will magnify and grow. - H. Fred Vogt.

My legs are tired and sore, but I feel fantastic!   I think long exercise is good for me.  Cool

Got the car interior cleaned out, cleaned the engine and got the exterior washed.  Oil change and interior wash have to wait till tomorrow. They all closed at 5:00 on Sunday. 

I was reading an article in Men's Journal which said more probiotics, so I stopped at Sprouts and found some natural sauerkraut.  It was good!  It's fermented in brine, and very tasty and apparently has lots of probiotics.  Different ones than yogurt. Celery and organic cherry tomatoes.  minimal washing to leave the natural bugs on them.

Kitchen vacuumed very carefully again.  Hopefully got the remaining glass splinters up.  I've gotten two in my feet since the last time I vacuumed so I've been wearing shoes in the kitchen (gasp).  I am so not a shoe person.

Watching the finish line at IMMO.  Inspiring.

Yesterday I took a knife, razor blade and sandpaper to my cycle helmet.  Cut it out where it would touch the skin surgery place.  I think it will work.  Tomorrow should be an easy bike ride, we'll see how the helmet works.

One week with no cycling and no swimming - what a strange week it's been.  Concerned about my overall fitness, but nothing else to do but to get back on the plan.

don't know if I should go see the doc about getting stitches out tomorrow.  Still oozing a bit of blood.  I think it should have closed totally by now. 

8 weeks out!

Run
  • 27m
  • 2.44 miles
  • 11m 03s /Mi

Easy start - not enough warm up. pretty much steady run up the hill, then back down. 10:30 - 11 on the way up, 9-10 on the way back. Add the walking at warm up and turn around and you end up with an 11.03 average. I need to be doing my speed work much more regularly.

All who wander are not lost. - JRR Tolkien

I've used this one before.  I like it though.  Sometimes in wandering we find more than "what we were looking for."  Letting your mind wander can lead to interesting insights and can help you know where you want to go or be.

They're starting celebrations for Oktoberfest in Taos.  I'm so tempted to blow everything off for a day or two and just go up there and play.

Today I took a razor blade, knife, and sandpaper to the inside of my helmet.  Before I did that, it still hurt to put it on, and I simply don't think I can afford to take more than a week off of the bike to let my head heal.  I think I've got it fixed so it does not touch the wound or stitches.  Thinking about a ride tomorrow.

The doc said I could swim after a week, but the wound is still oozing a bit.  Maybe with a waterproof band aid under a swim cap it will be fine.  Have to decide if I want to swim tomorrow after the 1/2 Mary or bike.  I'm really missing my biking.  It's been over a week since I've ridden.  In any case I've had two nice recovery weeks.

Anything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso

Winners, I am convinced, imagine their dreams first.  They want it with all their heart and expect it to come true.  There is, I believe, no other way to live. - Joe Montana

Perhaps Pablo is a bit out there, but I think that a thing must first exist in the mind before it becomes reality.  And Joe Montana may just have hit the nail on the head, although I'm not so sure that extended effort is necessary for things to happen.  Have you ever pictured it raining then it does, or thought of someone, then they call?  The mind is a powerful thing.

I'm sad today thinking about leaving my childhood home and never coming back.  Of course you can never go back.  And I did let go after a fashion a long time ago, but now I'm not sure I'm ready to let go of this part of me.  Perhaps it's because I'm in such an in between place right now.

Work and chores to do today.  Have a date for a move about the Monarch butterflies and dinner for Saturday.  trail run 1/2 marathon on Sunday.  Trying to figure out how to get a ride in on Sunday as well, assuming that my head heals shut. 

surgery site is still oozing a little blood after 7 days.  That seems like a long time.  Perhaps I should call the Dr.

jashac's Training Log

September 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Time
Distance
Time
  • December's totals