• CORE - Superman
  • CORE - Superman (FB)

Myrtl, core and e-cises

Sunday - September 15

Bike
  • 1h 12m
  • 19.00 miles
  • 15.83 Mi/hr

Easy spin after yesterday's long uphill ride.

Beautiful morning. Took my time, chatted with cyclists I passed and waved to runners. being out later is fun because there are a lot more people on the trail. Coming back in, a fast cyclist passed me, but I caught him at a light. Decided to just use him as inspiration so I chased him, at appropriate 4 cycle lengths, and we rode ~ 30 - 35 mph on the semi downhill for about four miles. I think he was surprised to see me behind him through light after light. I finally dropped, but it was fun while it lasted and gave me just a bit of intensity for a short portion of the ride.

Set my Gramin up to do mulit-sport today. It's a darn good thing. I goofed it up twice. I had forgotten how to start the thing. So my bike leg is all messed up on the Garmin. But I know when I left and when I got back. Kept track of cycle, T1, run, T2, swim, T3, run. worked well and I remembered to hit the button going into and out of each transition. Time to start practicing race specific stuff, including working the Garmin.

Run
  • 41m
  • 3.36 miles
  • 12m 12s /Mi

Run to pool and back. Decided not to worry about pace but just take it easy and do what I wanted. Set up to run on a 3:1, and mostly held to that on the way to the pool. On the way back I kept forgetting to start running again.

In the last few blocks I felt like running faster and ran it at a 9 min pace. Felt SO good. I wish I could run like that for longer distances. More track work in order, but I need to be careful not to overdo it. I think I've got to get comfortable with the idea that I might not be able to do the pace at IMFL that I would like to. Running out of training time.

I did not do my 20 mile run today. It's obvious to me that I 'm still not recovered from the 1/2 marathon last weekend.

Myrtl exercises after running. right leg strength is mostly back. left is not.

Swim
  • 44m
  • 2296.59 yards
  • 01m 55s /100 yards

Knowing that I'm recovering, decided to just keep it easy, and not do too much. Just got in and did what I wanted and felt like. There was, however, this swim sprite two lanes over, and fast. Usually I'm the fastest in the pool. (that's not saying much). But that girl could swim. She was taking it easy and I had to work to pace her. Fun for a couple of 100's. Her breast stroke was as fast as my medium crawl.

Stayed in the water as long as I enjoyed it, then got out and ran home.

200 wu
4x50 drill - finger tip drag, catchup, kick, pause stroke.
2x50 cd and strokes and stuff. two lengths of head up swimming.

Strength
  • 30m

Stretching and myrtl and a bit of core after the final run.

Logic will get you from A to Z.  Imagination will get you everywhere.  Albert Einstein 

While riding yesterday, it occurred to me that this week I've been doing this thing on 6 hours of sleep every night.  That is just not enough for me.  No wonder I've been crashing, and not recovering very well.  Since I've not been blogging it (cause it takes six clicks) I guess I've not been paying very good attention to what I'm actually doing. 

When the alarm went off this morning, my body just said no.  So I slept in till almost 8:00.  It was awesome.  And I feel so much better after sleeping in yesterday and today.  I did make it to bed by just after 9:00 last night.  If I'm going to get up at 4:30 in the morning to work out, I've got to hit the sack by 8:30 to get 8 hours of sleep.  Pretty simple math, but easier said than done.  That means I've got to quit work, get off the workstation no later than 6:00.

I feel good about today's workouts.  The bike felt especially good, but the swim was rewarding too, especially after about 1000 meters.

Saturday - September 14

Bike
  • 4h 27m
  • 67.00 miles
  • 15.06 Mi/hr

5700 feet of climbing. Rode over to Placitas and to the end of the road. Tried to take it easy, but going up the long hills it's hard to not push it at least a little. I kind of bonked at about mile 50 just before the long hill coming back. My stomach just didn't want any of my nutrition anywhere along the ride. I took some but obviously not enough. I didn't watch my time as well as I do on flat rides. The long uphills take an hour and a half hour respectively. Need to pay more attention to nutrition on the climbs.

When the alarm went off at 4:30 it was accompanied by thunder. A check of the radar (I love my smart phone) showed a large storm rolling through. When the alarm went off at 6:30 there was more thunder and lightening and it was raining Radar showed more storm had developed and it looked like a couple more hours. Slept in till past 8:00, and it felt awesome. Rode across standing water four times, running water once and mud across the road several times. I'm glad I didn't head out into the lightening and rain. Think it would have been dangerous as well as pretty uncomfortable as well. I'm so lucky. Even though I was very unhappy with myself for not getting out sooner, conditions were pretty good when I went, but it was obvious that they were not good earlier.

Saw pretty horses, lots of wild flowers, and rode into the mountains. The clouds playing with the mountain were gorgeous.

I had planned to go 6 hours, and try for a century, but I just didn't have it in me. Think a lack of sleep is a problem, and nutrition today was not on.

Run
  • 45m
  • 3.64 miles
  • 12m 21s /Mi

Brick. Took it out with lots of walking. Legs felt like bricks. After a while it was ok, but never good. Supposed to be a 40 min brick so that's what happened. Not pretty, but I got it done. Felt hot when I finished at 4:15, but actually was in the low 70's. Not too bad.

Friday - September 13

Thursday - September 12

Run
  • 2h 01m
  • 8.85 miles
  • 13m 40s /Mi

This was a bit longer than I meant to go. Started out walking, then went to a 1:3, 1 run 3 walk. the run distance crept up just a bit, but I was fairly faithful to it. Quads are better but still very sore. I was able to do 1/2 squats today. Running hurt at first but not too bad. I was tempted to run longer, but mostly held to the plan. Legs were pretty trashed by the end. Walked almost all the way home from the pool.

Swim
  • 23m
  • 1202.97 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards

As I got into the last 1/2 hour of the run to the pool I wondered if maybe I was going too far after the tough 1/2 mary last Sunday.

After 1/2 an hour in the pool, I was just done. So I suppose I did maybe push it too far too soon. Oh well.
200 wu
5x50 drill
quit.
disgusted with myself, but I just didn't want to do it any more.

On my way out onto the last bit of run/walk home I inhaled a bit of my gel. Coughed almost all the way home. That stuff is not to be inhaled. got that? don't inhale. :)

Strength
  • 15m

myrtl and e-cises after run.

Limits, like fears, are often an illusion. - Michael Jordan

Pushing a bit on my limits today.

Working on the probate Dad's will stuff.  I am glad I'm not a lawyer.  The debate parts of law are interesting to me, but wading through legal mumbo jumbo, even when it's pretty clear is boring.  Spent two hours last night and mostly understand the filing part, and the process.  It just takes time I'd rather spend doing something else.  Almost anything else.

Forecast is for rain today.  This morning we were not clouded over yet, and the clouds were playing with the mountain, and the ones across the valley were gorgeous when the sun first hit them.  Cloudy today.  good day to spend in front of the workstation.

Achilles/calves a bit sore after today's 'run.'  Will stretch every 1/2 hour through the day.

Wednesday - September 11

Bike
  • 1h 15m
  • 18.00 miles
  • 14.40 Mi/hr

It rained all day yesterday so this morning there were clouds hanging against the mountains and wisps of clouds hanging in the valley. Gorgeous cool morning. I actually wore my wind vest to start out. ave speed 14.4, max speed 29.5. It's just not flat here. Must not be in Kansas.

Almost all the way back I passed a cyclist who it turns out rode with our MS team. Slowed down and rode with him for 10 minutes and visited before I had to turn toward home.

Strange thing happened early in the ride. My front light just popped off and went skittering along the pavement in front of me. It was barely light enough to find it. Fortunately I was on a bike path. Broken at that point of course. I have two spares at home, and usually when I ride real early I ride with two, but I never brought the spares up here. Now that the days are short, I wish I had my back up lights. But, because of the delay I got to ride a bit with Matt. It's interesting to me how things work out. Somebody is looking after me.

Legs were really tired starting out. Felt better after a while. Strong on the way back.

Strength
  • 20m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • CHEST - pushups single leg
  • CORE - Elbow Bridge (FB)
  • CORE - Reverse HyperExtension (FB)
  • CORE - Side Planks
  • CORE - Superman
  • CORE - Superman (FB)

little core work and some push ups. When I went outside to do my pull ups from the tree branch the neighbor's mom was out and talkative. We visited for 10 minutes instead of doing pull ups. Just funny.

no lunges today. quads will not hear of it.

You have to live spherically - in many directions.

Unbelievably good things can happen, even late in the game. - Under The Tuscan Sun

I watched Under The Tuscan Sun last night.  It's very encouraging.  But of course when I look at the heroine, she looks like a kid to me.  Maybe 30ish.  But still the moral of the story is heartening.  Fun movie.  Speaking of movies we went to see The Flight of the Butterflies at the local Imax type of theater.  Wow great story and it's the first 3D movie I've seen.  I had to sit on my hands to keep from reaching out for the butterflies.  Great story about the Monarch Butterfly migration and the scientist who figured it out.

Today I can actually do a 1/4 squat.  That's way better than yesterday.  Smile

Lots of work today and I need to look into probating my dad's will.  I'm less than excited about that, but I suppose it's got to be done.  I just don't want to take the time to learn all the stuff  I need to get it done.  Oh well, time to pull on my big girl panties I suppose.

Need to work on my bike a bit.  See if I can make the new computer work, tighten a spoke, fix the 'broken' light.

Tuesday - September 10

Run
  • 58m
  • 3.54 miles
  • 16m 23s /Mi

Walk to pool and back. Wow sore. Super sore. The slightest up hill or downhill hurt. After 3/4 of a mile I thought I'd try a little jog. Not to be. just hurt, then I felt incredible fatigue.

You know your quads are sore when it hurts to shave them.

Beautiful morning. Really dark going over, and coming back the clouds were rolling over the mountains under a higher overcast. Lovely, brooding, quite dark gray morning.

Swim
  • 52m
  • 2734.03 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards

Lovely lane mates today. AND a couple of them paced me a bit, which reminded me to swim with some purpose. fun. And the guy two lanes over started an IM discussion. I was wearing an IM swim cap to keep the water off my forehead.

Really nice swim. Mostly I felt pretty strong today. My turn over is slow, but I'm getting a great pull. I've been working on that. I suppose if I was serious I'd find some swim cords.

200 wu
4x50 drill
2x400
100cd
Focused on long body position and the push part of the pull today.

Do more of what you love.

Yes.

Really productive yesterday, errand wise.  I got my stitches out and wow, it started feeling better almost right away.  I hardly notice it now.  Swim went fine with the swim cap and forehead stayed dry.  And bonus - got an 8 minute conversation out of it.  I don't usually time my conversations, but everything in a swim workout gets timed.  Actually I felt even stronger after the break.

Today: work,  review 2012 taxes and sign, get new bike computer installed.

jashac's Training Log

September 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned