Sunny
High 80F
Low 64F

Wednesday - September 18

Run
  • 3h 08m
  • 15.64 miles
  • 12m 01s /Mi

Ok that was supposed to be an 18 to 20 mile run. I turned around at 9.5 miles how did it end up only 15.6? It's ok. That was about what I had in me. The trouble with running slow is that it takes you forever to get anywhere.

Lots of 10 min pace. Ran a 4:1 run/walk. There were some places in the middle when it got steep that I was pretty slow. A girl passed me at about mile 10 and I made some comment about her just running on by, and she said, well catch up. So I paced her for a little while and it looked like it might work, so I caught up to her and ran with her for about 5 minutes at an 8 min pace. Really fun, but a little too fast for me to maintain.

Saw doves, a bunny rabbit, and a blue jay this morning. Another morning with clouds rolling over the mountains which produced a fabulous sunrise. It was dark for a long time though. Enjoyed running up the arroyo and looking at what the recent heavy rains have done to the depositional system there. Sands deposited, banks eroded, and cut banks cut and collapsed. Really only stuff a geologist would be interested in.

When it comes to Chocolate, resistance is futile.

I'm a hopeless geek and really enjoyed years of Star Trek.  The Borg were an interesting look at a different sort of society.  And of course 7 of 9 was a treat to look at. Cool   So today's quote just tickled my funny bone.

Driving to Midland today.  The plan is to finish some work, pack, load the car, and stop about four hours into the trip at Bottomless lakes and do a long OWS.  I love that lake.

bottomless

Tuesday - September 17

Bike
  • 1h 19m
  • 19.65 miles
  • 14.92 Mi/hr

After three blocks, went back for a little jacket. Brrr. Lovely morning for riding, and the sunrise through the clouds over the mountain - spectacular.

Almost got run over. Thought the guy was not going to stop. The it looked like he really was, then he rolled right into the cross walk. Good thing I gave him a little room. Lesson: give someone like that a LOT more room, like 1/2 a lane at least. I goofed, but didn't get hit. Thank God for that. I really think the driver didn't look left until I was in front of him.

Swim
  • 26m
  • 1421.70 yards
  • 01m 50s /100 yards

200 wu
4x50 drill
6x100 tempo pace. Splits: 1.57, 1.54, 1.51, 1.52, 1.50, 1.52
3x100 assorted stuff cool down including 50 head up swimming.

I'm really pleased with the tempo pace. 1.57/ 100 meters is pretty good for me. I felt strong and like I was really gliding through the water.

Made it short today. Planning to stop at the lake tomorrow on my way back to Midland and swim long. Long OWS on Sunday at Balmorhea springs too. :)

We all live with the object of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same. - Anne Frank

Gorgeous sun rise this morning.  Saw a bunny rabbit too. 

I wonder why people who drive little gray cars think that they can be seen in the early morning light without their lights on.

too much to do today before I leave.

Monday - September 16

Run
  • 30m
  • 2.60 miles
  • 11m 32s /Mi

Started easy, ended up tempo. pretty much continuous run

Strength
  • 50m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Advanced Obliques
  • ABS - Bicycles
  • ABS - Crunches
  • CHEST - pushups single leg
  • CORE - Elbow Bridge (FB)
  • CORE - Reverse HyperExtension (FB)
  • CORE - Side Planks
  • CORE - Superman
  • CORE - Superman (FB)

Myrtl, core and e-cises

Sunday - September 15

Bike
  • 1h 12m
  • 19.00 miles
  • 15.83 Mi/hr

Easy spin after yesterday's long uphill ride.

Beautiful morning. Took my time, chatted with cyclists I passed and waved to runners. being out later is fun because there are a lot more people on the trail. Coming back in, a fast cyclist passed me, but I caught him at a light. Decided to just use him as inspiration so I chased him, at appropriate 4 cycle lengths, and we rode ~ 30 - 35 mph on the semi downhill for about four miles. I think he was surprised to see me behind him through light after light. I finally dropped, but it was fun while it lasted and gave me just a bit of intensity for a short portion of the ride.

Set my Gramin up to do mulit-sport today. It's a darn good thing. I goofed it up twice. I had forgotten how to start the thing. So my bike leg is all messed up on the Garmin. But I know when I left and when I got back. Kept track of cycle, T1, run, T2, swim, T3, run. worked well and I remembered to hit the button going into and out of each transition. Time to start practicing race specific stuff, including working the Garmin.

Run
  • 41m
  • 3.36 miles
  • 12m 12s /Mi

Run to pool and back. Decided not to worry about pace but just take it easy and do what I wanted. Set up to run on a 3:1, and mostly held to that on the way to the pool. On the way back I kept forgetting to start running again.

In the last few blocks I felt like running faster and ran it at a 9 min pace. Felt SO good. I wish I could run like that for longer distances. More track work in order, but I need to be careful not to overdo it. I think I've got to get comfortable with the idea that I might not be able to do the pace at IMFL that I would like to. Running out of training time.

I did not do my 20 mile run today. It's obvious to me that I 'm still not recovered from the 1/2 marathon last weekend.

Myrtl exercises after running. right leg strength is mostly back. left is not.

Swim
  • 44m
  • 2296.59 yards
  • 01m 55s /100 yards

Knowing that I'm recovering, decided to just keep it easy, and not do too much. Just got in and did what I wanted and felt like. There was, however, this swim sprite two lanes over, and fast. Usually I'm the fastest in the pool. (that's not saying much). But that girl could swim. She was taking it easy and I had to work to pace her. Fun for a couple of 100's. Her breast stroke was as fast as my medium crawl.

Stayed in the water as long as I enjoyed it, then got out and ran home.

200 wu
4x50 drill - finger tip drag, catchup, kick, pause stroke.
2x50 cd and strokes and stuff. two lengths of head up swimming.

Strength
  • 30m

Stretching and myrtl and a bit of core after the final run.

Logic will get you from A to Z.  Imagination will get you everywhere.  Albert Einstein 

While riding yesterday, it occurred to me that this week I've been doing this thing on 6 hours of sleep every night.  That is just not enough for me.  No wonder I've been crashing, and not recovering very well.  Since I've not been blogging it (cause it takes six clicks) I guess I've not been paying very good attention to what I'm actually doing. 

When the alarm went off this morning, my body just said no.  So I slept in till almost 8:00.  It was awesome.  And I feel so much better after sleeping in yesterday and today.  I did make it to bed by just after 9:00 last night.  If I'm going to get up at 4:30 in the morning to work out, I've got to hit the sack by 8:30 to get 8 hours of sleep.  Pretty simple math, but easier said than done.  That means I've got to quit work, get off the workstation no later than 6:00.

I feel good about today's workouts.  The bike felt especially good, but the swim was rewarding too, especially after about 1000 meters.

Saturday - September 14

Bike
  • 4h 27m
  • 67.00 miles
  • 15.06 Mi/hr

5700 feet of climbing. Rode over to Placitas and to the end of the road. Tried to take it easy, but going up the long hills it's hard to not push it at least a little. I kind of bonked at about mile 50 just before the long hill coming back. My stomach just didn't want any of my nutrition anywhere along the ride. I took some but obviously not enough. I didn't watch my time as well as I do on flat rides. The long uphills take an hour and a half hour respectively. Need to pay more attention to nutrition on the climbs.

When the alarm went off at 4:30 it was accompanied by thunder. A check of the radar (I love my smart phone) showed a large storm rolling through. When the alarm went off at 6:30 there was more thunder and lightening and it was raining Radar showed more storm had developed and it looked like a couple more hours. Slept in till past 8:00, and it felt awesome. Rode across standing water four times, running water once and mud across the road several times. I'm glad I didn't head out into the lightening and rain. Think it would have been dangerous as well as pretty uncomfortable as well. I'm so lucky. Even though I was very unhappy with myself for not getting out sooner, conditions were pretty good when I went, but it was obvious that they were not good earlier.

Saw pretty horses, lots of wild flowers, and rode into the mountains. The clouds playing with the mountain were gorgeous.

I had planned to go 6 hours, and try for a century, but I just didn't have it in me. Think a lack of sleep is a problem, and nutrition today was not on.

Run
  • 45m
  • 3.64 miles
  • 12m 21s /Mi

Brick. Took it out with lots of walking. Legs felt like bricks. After a while it was ok, but never good. Supposed to be a 40 min brick so that's what happened. Not pretty, but I got it done. Felt hot when I finished at 4:15, but actually was in the low 70's. Not too bad.

Friday - September 13

Thursday - September 12

Run
  • 2h 01m
  • 8.85 miles
  • 13m 40s /Mi

This was a bit longer than I meant to go. Started out walking, then went to a 1:3, 1 run 3 walk. the run distance crept up just a bit, but I was fairly faithful to it. Quads are better but still very sore. I was able to do 1/2 squats today. Running hurt at first but not too bad. I was tempted to run longer, but mostly held to the plan. Legs were pretty trashed by the end. Walked almost all the way home from the pool.

Swim
  • 23m
  • 1202.97 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards

As I got into the last 1/2 hour of the run to the pool I wondered if maybe I was going too far after the tough 1/2 mary last Sunday.

After 1/2 an hour in the pool, I was just done. So I suppose I did maybe push it too far too soon. Oh well.
200 wu
5x50 drill
quit.
disgusted with myself, but I just didn't want to do it any more.

On my way out onto the last bit of run/walk home I inhaled a bit of my gel. Coughed almost all the way home. That stuff is not to be inhaled. got that? don't inhale. :)

Strength
  • 15m

myrtl and e-cises after run.

Limits, like fears, are often an illusion. - Michael Jordan

Pushing a bit on my limits today.

Working on the probate Dad's will stuff.  I am glad I'm not a lawyer.  The debate parts of law are interesting to me, but wading through legal mumbo jumbo, even when it's pretty clear is boring.  Spent two hours last night and mostly understand the filing part, and the process.  It just takes time I'd rather spend doing something else.  Almost anything else.

Forecast is for rain today.  This morning we were not clouded over yet, and the clouds were playing with the mountain, and the ones across the valley were gorgeous when the sun first hit them.  Cloudy today.  good day to spend in front of the workstation.

Achilles/calves a bit sore after today's 'run.'  Will stretch every 1/2 hour through the day.

jashac's Training Log

September 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned