Sunny
High 97F
Low 81F

Sunday - September 22

Run
  • 1h 20m
  • 7.05 miles
  • 11m 20s /Mi

260 ft elevation. Gradual run up toward the mountains. Scenery gorgeous.

Light head wind going out made it pleasant. After the turn around it was downhill but with the tiny wind at my back pretty hot. 80 degrees and no air moving while running. Easy run, but hard at the end. Still tired from long ride on Friday? - not much difference in the splits.

Swim
  • 58m
  • 3132.00 yards
  • 01m 51s /100 yards

OWS at Balmorhea springs. Awesome magical place. Small 'reef looking' fish hanging around. the bottom is up to 25 feet deep where the springs come into the 'pool' Rocky bottom there, but brilliant green sea grass along the main channel. Fish feeding on it. sometimes little bubbles come up from the grass. There were a few black catfish along the bottom in the outgoing channel. Crystal clear water. Kids playing in the water. Girls in bikinis. At one point I swam into a whole school of the little 2 to 3 inch fish. So pretty and just hanging around, I had to stop and look.

72 - 76 degree water, just right for the wetsuit.

Not sure how good the Garmin distance is. The map shows me swimming out of the pool and all over the place. It seems about right while in the pool, but the map is sure goofy.

I was totally ready to be finished so I swam another couple laps easy. ~ 240 yards across.

Saturday - September 21

Did the welcome speech and started the riders on the tour.  Drove SAG until 4:30.  Quick bite of lunch in town.  Again poor nutrition planning on my part.  I was starving by noon, no lunch till 5:00.

Then back for the group dinner and 'awards' and door prizes presentation.  It all went pretty smoothly.  We had a great group of volunteers.  Shut it down at about 9:00 and went over to Doug's trailer for a beer. 

Awesome Day!  Weather was absolutely perfect, clear air and cool for the riders.  Everyone came back with all their skin on their bodies!  That's the most important thing.

Friday - September 20

Bike
  • 8h 47m
  • 135.50 miles
  • 15.43 Mi/hr

one of those epic type of rides.
Started off cool and cloudy with the clouds rolling and flowing over the hills. Rode without rain for the first hour or so. Then it started raining lightly. In the half light, through rain covered glasses I didn't see a big rock and hit it hard. Pinchflatted. by the time I had it fixed it was raining hard and the cold wind was picking up. Put on my wind/rain jacket that I bought after this ride last year. Awesome!

Stopped for a little bit in Marathon for food and drink. The rain pretty much let up for about a 1/2 hour. Then solid rain for the long, long uphill out of Marathon back to Alpine, the group pretty much stuck together.

After a break at Alpine the sun came out a bit while we fixed Doug's flat. Then we had a great tail wind leg for more than an hour. For some reason I dropped, but I was riding 22 - 24 mph over to Marfa. Big tail wind.

The wind shifted to the north and we headed out directly into it leaving Marfa. Only 22 miles but into that head wind then driving rain for almost two hours was brutal. At the end Doug was pulling at 14 and it was all I could do to hang on to the back. Tough, tough ride.

10:12 elapsed time for the ride.

I had to hurry over to registration, already an hour late. Could not find my recovery drink. Only Pizza at registration. Poor menu choices for me.

Thursday - September 19

Rest day - drive to Fort Davis, too late to catch a swim.

Wednesday - September 18

Run
  • 3h 08m
  • 15.64 miles
  • 12m 01s /Mi

Ok that was supposed to be an 18 to 20 mile run. I turned around at 9.5 miles how did it end up only 15.6? It's ok. That was about what I had in me. The trouble with running slow is that it takes you forever to get anywhere.

Lots of 10 min pace. Ran a 4:1 run/walk. There were some places in the middle when it got steep that I was pretty slow. A girl passed me at about mile 10 and I made some comment about her just running on by, and she said, well catch up. So I paced her for a little while and it looked like it might work, so I caught up to her and ran with her for about 5 minutes at an 8 min pace. Really fun, but a little too fast for me to maintain.

Saw doves, a bunny rabbit, and a blue jay this morning. Another morning with clouds rolling over the mountains which produced a fabulous sunrise. It was dark for a long time though. Enjoyed running up the arroyo and looking at what the recent heavy rains have done to the depositional system there. Sands deposited, banks eroded, and cut banks cut and collapsed. Really only stuff a geologist would be interested in.

When it comes to Chocolate, resistance is futile.

I'm a hopeless geek and really enjoyed years of Star Trek.  The Borg were an interesting look at a different sort of society.  And of course 7 of 9 was a treat to look at. Cool   So today's quote just tickled my funny bone.

Driving to Midland today.  The plan is to finish some work, pack, load the car, and stop about four hours into the trip at Bottomless lakes and do a long OWS.  I love that lake.

bottomless

Tuesday - September 17

Bike
  • 1h 19m
  • 19.65 miles
  • 14.92 Mi/hr

After three blocks, went back for a little jacket. Brrr. Lovely morning for riding, and the sunrise through the clouds over the mountain - spectacular.

Almost got run over. Thought the guy was not going to stop. The it looked like he really was, then he rolled right into the cross walk. Good thing I gave him a little room. Lesson: give someone like that a LOT more room, like 1/2 a lane at least. I goofed, but didn't get hit. Thank God for that. I really think the driver didn't look left until I was in front of him.

Swim
  • 26m
  • 1421.70 yards
  • 01m 50s /100 yards

200 wu
4x50 drill
6x100 tempo pace. Splits: 1.57, 1.54, 1.51, 1.52, 1.50, 1.52
3x100 assorted stuff cool down including 50 head up swimming.

I'm really pleased with the tempo pace. 1.57/ 100 meters is pretty good for me. I felt strong and like I was really gliding through the water.

Made it short today. Planning to stop at the lake tomorrow on my way back to Midland and swim long. Long OWS on Sunday at Balmorhea springs too. :)

We all live with the object of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same. - Anne Frank

Gorgeous sun rise this morning.  Saw a bunny rabbit too. 

I wonder why people who drive little gray cars think that they can be seen in the early morning light without their lights on.

too much to do today before I leave.

Monday - September 16

Run
  • 30m
  • 2.60 miles
  • 11m 32s /Mi

Started easy, ended up tempo. pretty much continuous run

Strength
  • 50m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min