Partly Cloudy
High 73F
Low 58F
TUESDAY
Sunny
High 64F
Low 49F

Anything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso

Winners, I am convinced, imagine their dreams first.  They want it with all their heart and expect it to come true.  There is, I believe, no other way to live. - Joe Montana

Perhaps Pablo is a bit out there, but I think that a thing must first exist in the mind before it becomes reality.  And Joe Montana may just have hit the nail on the head, although I'm not so sure that extended effort is necessary for things to happen.  Have you ever pictured it raining then it does, or thought of someone, then they call?  The mind is a powerful thing.

I'm sad today thinking about leaving my childhood home and never coming back.  Of course you can never go back.  And I did let go after a fashion a long time ago, but now I'm not sure I'm ready to let go of this part of me.  Perhaps it's because I'm in such an in between place right now.

Work and chores to do today.  Have a date for a move about the Monarch butterflies and dinner for Saturday.  trail run 1/2 marathon on Sunday.  Trying to figure out how to get a ride in on Sunday as well, assuming that my head heals shut. 

surgery site is still oozing a little blood after 7 days.  That seems like a long time.  Perhaps I should call the Dr.

Run
  • 1h 34m
  • 8.40 miles
  • 11m 11s /Mi

Good warm up. One mile loop back to house for rest room. Then 1:15 run on 3:1 run walk. Pretty easy. After a while I decided that plodding was probably not in my best interest, so I upped the tempo to very easy z3 for the runs. It was pretty easy, although required mental effort to keep the tempo. I needed that. This will be the last long run before the Dirty 1/2 on Sunday.

Saw some happy dogs out with owners and visited briefly with a girl with a very nice black lab puppy who was able to hold his excitement till the last minute. :) Ran past a lovely stream/waterfall in someone's yard that is just beautiful. Gorgeous morning, cool, but since I was late the sun was up and warm. Finished the run strong, but it is downhill.

Would have loved ti gave gone farther, but I've got a 1/2 to be ready for on Sunday. Think I'll run my one mile loop here at the house before heading to the race site, then run a one mile warm up before the race. That will give me my 15 mile run for the day/week.

Strength
  • 30m

myrtl, and stretching after run.

Your true nature is not lost in moments of delusion, nor is it gained at the moment of enlightenment.  It was never born and can never die. - Huang Po.

True self.  I think/believe/feel that I am coming to understand better who I am, and that I am a child of the Universe.  No, more than a child, I am part of the universe, and I'm feeling that connection better and better.  It's a pretty awesome thing.

I had dinner at Carol's house again the other night.  Lovely time.  I'm such a doofus though.  I'm like a dog chasing a car.  Wouldn't know what to do with it if he caught it.  I see the signs, but haven't a clue what to do with that information.  So much for understanding the Universe.  Undecided

Looking at my mileage totals for the year.  Usually go into IMFL with 4000 miles on the bike and ~600 miles running.  If I'm lucky I'll be at 1/2 of that this year.  Will I be under trained?  How bad will it be?

I suppose at this point that all I can do is continue to follow my plan as best I can.

Run
  • 1h 00m
  • 5.20 miles
  • 11m 32s /Mi

Run up the hill, then back down, a bit of strides on the way back down hill. 300 ft elevation gained and lost. Still pretty slow. Warmed up well. focus on relaxing calves and paying attention to them. Stopped to stretch just a little several times. Mostly a continuous run.

Ran past the farmer's market where they were roasting chilli, YUM! Smelled so good.

Strength
  • 30m

push ups/ pull ups / lunges. Myrtle after run. Tiny bit of core work.

There is a place that you are to fill that no one else can fill, something you are to do, which no one else can do.  - Florence Scovel Shinn

I hope it wasn't this morning's run.  The planned run didn't happen this morning.  I wanted to do it last night when I went to sleep, but this morning sleep won out.  It's funny what you can justify when you're still in bed. Cool  Still, when I hit 8.5 hours I'm usually finished sleeping and very satisfied with it.  Now if I could just get to bed on time.

Pretty tired after yesterday's drive back to Albuquerque - over 7 hours, and got to drive through an awesome thunderstorm.  Lightening everywhere and driving torrents of rain in the dark.  That probably only lasted a 1/2 hour or so, but it was very dramatic, and I could see it coming for over an hour.  Pretty cool

Today my eyes are swollen almost 1/2 shut.  Not really painful. Feel tired, and eyes a little itchy. An internet search reveals that this is pretty normal for Mohs procedure on the forehead.  I can expect the swelling to continue it's progress down my face.  It's affecting my sinuses as well.  Doesn't really hurt, just a little annoying and it's making me feel tired.  So maybe I'll take a nap.  Now THERE's a good idea. 

Dinner tonight with a friend.

Run
  • 34m
  • 2.30 miles
  • 14m 46s /Mi

A walk. on block run at the end, with two pick ups at the end of that. Ave walking pace still slow at ~ 17 min/mi. Really having trouble getting it up.

The doc told me he put about a teaspoon of pain med in the area he was working.  Well yesterday that all migrated down my forehead.  Interesting.  Today the bridge of my nose is all swollen and my eyes are part was shut with it.  Kind of funny.  Annoying but funny.  Less pain today.  Only ibuprofen this morning.

I should drive back to Albuquerque today.  Office for a while first, more clean up and try to find those missing papers.  perhaps an early nap.  Each day I've felt much better after nap, so that makes sense.  I'm not really looking forward to the 8 hour drive, with no work out on the way.  Perhaps I should look for a place to stop and run.   Cannot swim for a week, so the lake is out.

Hot here today.  75 degrees at 5:00 am.  Beautiful sunrise through the clouds though.

I got my desk at home totallly cleared off.  Organized all my run numbers for the last two years.  I should put them up.  Totally cleared off the kitchen table and the computer table.  Missing papers still missing.  At least I'm getting things cleaned up a bit. Tongue out

Run
  • 1h 06m
  • 5.82 miles
  • 11m 20s /Mi

warm up, then 4/1 run/walk. mostly in the fist three miles ~ 9.30 pace. After that it crept up to 10 -10:30 / mile. The first part felt pretty good, running easy concentrating on relaxing calves and running easy. It got pretty hot, about 90 degrees when I finished at noon.

It felt good to run one of my old routes. The lower altitude and lack of any hills sure makes a difference.

Strength
  • 30m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • BACK - Bent-Arm Lat Pulldowns
  • BACK - Incline Row
  • BICEPS - DB Split Curls
  • CHEST - Flat Bench Press
  • CORE - Knee-To-Chest (FB)
  • CORE - Superman
  • LEGS - Hamstring Curls (Cable)
  • LEGS - Single Leg DB Squats
  • LEGS - Standing calf raises
  • SHOULDERS - 1-Legged DB Side Raises
  • TRICEPS - Narrow Grip Bench

This and myrtl after run

Stayed at the office till midnight last night filing and looking for some missing paperwork.  Arg.  Way too late.

Head felt pretty good after my nap, but I stayed up too late and it started hurting again later.  Pretty painful this morning, although it appears that the swelling is starting to go down a little.  Pain pill this morning.  Not feeling very energized today.  I would like to just take the day and piddle around, cleaning, fixing things, and putting stuff away. 

Think I will go for a short run after a while.  Laundry is going, but I haven't even done my stretching and it's already 9:00

Last month was a bit short on the bike.  Today would have made up for that but no bike for me until I can put a helmet on my head.  The incision is exactly where my helmet sits.  No swim for a week.  That leaves running, which I'll be building slowly with lots of care for the calves and achilles.

It looks like another recovery week followed by a 1/2 marathon on the trails in the foothills.  that day, according to my plan, should be a 18 mile run.  So should I run an extra 5 after the 1/2? or maybe before?

August

Swim: 7h 16m - 23406.22 Yd

Bike: 30h 14m - 452.17 Mi

Run: 15h 08m 57s - 76.26 Mi

Strength: 3h 20m

July

Swim: 3h 56m - 11911.46 Yd

Bike: 35h 36m - 518.9 Mi

Run: 18h 02m 32s - 93.15 Mi

Strength: 1h 33m

Head really hurts.  Pain pills help.  no workout today.

Was supposed to have a massage at 2:00 with my favorite therapist but she canceled.   :(  probably just as well, probably couldn't lie down on table.  Slept for two hours instead.  Head feels better after the nap.

Working at the office.  e-mail, filing, cleaning up, and trying to get the new workstation up and running.  Windows 7 is a POS.  At least that's my current opinion. 

jashac's Training Log

September 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Time
Distance
Time
  • October's totals