Sunny
High 95F
Low 75F

Wednesday - April 2

Bike
  • 1h 40m
  • 24.00 miles
  • 14.40 Mi/hr

Through the neighborhoods. Fred finally jumped out in front and I tried to chase him after pulling the whole peleton against the wind out of town. Could only hang for a little bit. Ended up on the highway with Tim, my IM buddy, and we rode till I thought I should take it easier. Riding into stiff head wind at 11 to14 mph. Tim waited at the turn around and we rode easy 20mph back into town and then explored different routes in the new neighborhoods to get back to the bike shop. Easy fun.

Strength
  • 15m

e-cises

Tuesday - April 1

Strength
  • 15m

e-cises for knees and ankles

Knee is better but still hurts after stretching. More ibuprofen and rest.

Monday - March 31

Knee quite sore.  Rest day today.  K-Taped the knee and Ibuprofen every four hours.  Drove home, Ice at bed time.

Sunday - March 30

Sport
  • Skiing
  • 3h 30m

Last day of the ski season for our resort. Lots of mud at the bottom, and it's tricky getting to the bottom. But the snow on the runs is still good.

Tough start to the day. First run pretty teeth rattling. Choosing a non groomed run was a mistake. One run with Kathy and James and they decided to bag it. Second run with Istvan, choosing a groomer this time and it was better. Still both knees are hurting and both legs have pulled muscles or something. Stopped to eat a sandwich and do some of the clean-up work. Took another run and waited for Rankin to finish teaching the only student of the day. Whining I went up with him and we had three very good runs before both admitting that we were finished. But the snow on the runs was great corn snow and was totally enjoyable.

Lunch with my friend, and that's it for the season. It's always a sad day for me, but I'm so beat up, I need a rest.

Went back to the house and slept for three hours. Too late to drive home so I'm getting the laundry, dishes and chores done here. Sometimes it feels good to wrap things up and take care of the loose ends.

Stomach hurts tonight. Looking forward to a good night's sleep.

Saturday - March 29

Sport
  • Skiing
  • 6h 30m

Ripped it up! !! Went to play with a small rat-pack. Rankin, Kathy, James and I. The groomed was awesome first thing in the morning, soft and pliable. As the mountain warmed we found soft powder like slush almost everywhere. Even trails that hadn't been skied in weeks were just awesome with soft corn snow. We skied most of the trials, and I wondered what it would be like in the trees, and it was even more awesome.

My own skiing has improved tremendously. Unbelievable! It's even more fun now than it was before! (sorry about the ! !! but this day deserves a bunch of them.)

Everyone is making such a big deal about my passing level III. It was fun. From morning meeting through the day there were comments and jokes about the level and having "the pin." I said something to Rankin about everybody is making such a big deal, and he said, It is a big deal. That from a close friend and someone who I helped train for his level III.

Dinner with friends at my house. There was wine and good conversation. A totally great day.

Right knee really sore.  hurts a bunch to walk.  Doesn't hurt to ski.  Obvious solution to that problem.  Taking ibuprofen seems to help.

Friday - March 28

Strength
  • 30m

e-cises. R knee really sore. Better than yesterday, but it hurts to walk. don't think that's a good sign.

Still want to ski this weekend.

Luck is what you have left after you give 100%. - unknown

I'm heading off to the mountains this afternoon for the last weekend of our season.  It's always bittersweet.  It's been hot and what's left of the snow is showing that.   Oh well.  Cruddy snow makes it easier to accept the end of the season.  I did sign up for an Extreme Mountain clinic at 'A' Basin in May.  Looking forward to that.

Thursday - March 27

Run
  • 47m
  • 4.00 miles
  • 11m 45s /Mi

Woke up at 4:00 this morning. Still awake at 4:30 so I got up. That's good because it's really time to start the summer workout schedule.

To pool and back. 2 miles each. Lots of walking on the return. my right knee is really sore. I stretched it this morning and I think that made it worse. Running seemed to hurt it as well.

Vitamin I and some rest I think. Should start back on Gloominess. I ran out of the ones that are easy to swallow and have not found any more.

Swim
  • 14m
  • 750.00 yards
  • 01m 52s /100 yards

EZ haven't been in the pool for a long time.

200 wu
3x50 drill
4x100 with some different strokes

Excited that my speed hasn't gone away. Unfortunately the fitness has, but with swimming it usually comes back fairly quickly.

Bike
  • 20m
  • 3.00 miles
  • 9.00 Mi/hr

To work and back on commuter bike. Perhaps I can add a loop around the college on the way home. We'll see how the knee feels and what time it is. It's short but at least it's some time in the saddle. There are parts of my body that need to get used to that again.

Perhaps if I ride many times a week my fitness will come back quickly without injury.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emmerson

I keep thinking about passing the exam.  I went into it knowing that my self worth was not dependent on passing it.  I told myself that I was worthy of love and belonging without exam results.  (Some might debate that I was ever worthy - and those are true friends).  And although passing is a big deal, the reason to do the whole process was to learn to ski better, at least up to a standard.  Why?  Because skiing well is fun, and skiing better is more fun.  I am amazed at what I've learned, especially in the last couple years.  Maybe not what I've learned, but the skills I have added and mastered.  Additionally I've learned about movements and movement patterns that makes me a better instructor, and mastering a thing carries it's own satisfaction.  Still it was a goal to pass that milepost.  And reaching the goal is pleasurable.  My helmet still fits though.  (I think).

Right knee is real sore on the inside.  Doing the exercises prescribed last time.  Started foam rolling very tight ITB on both sides.  Left knee is a bit sore on the outside.

Got to the office on time this morning and a good morning's work.  Now back to it.  My income has been quite limited by all the time off to go play - time to start correcting that.  There are bills to be paid. 

jashac's Training Log

April 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30   

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned