Of course its hard, its supposed to be!

The following equipment is nearing replacement:

Thursday - October 2

Wednesday - October 1

Sport
  • Pilates
  • 30m

What to do now?  I enjoyed sleeping in this morning but don't want to get used to that, but may for the rest of this week,  We are going to San Diego Saturday for a week.  May run a little out there just because it is so nice.  When I get home I am going to start the P90X3 program with some S/B/R mixed in for maintenance. Will build the run up and look for some HM's for the spring.

• Calories out: 2554 From lifestyle:2473, From activities:81

Tuesday - September 30

Made it home.  It was hard to leave yesterday with the feeling that I hadn't accomplished what I had come to do.  The thought had even occurred to me to pull over at noon and register for 2015.  But after a long talk with Connie who understood what I was going through, we laid out a plan that has next year doing HIM's and shorter, mostly local with the possible exception of the FL70.3 in her parents town (good excuse to be in FL in April).  The main goal is to go back and do some of the local races that made me fall in love with triathlons.  I haven't done a lot of these because of the IM focus so I think it will be fun to do these again. 

Next September if I still feel the need to finish this race I can register for 2016.  I hope they don't change the course much.

• Calories out: 2493 From lifestyle:2493, From activities:0

Monday - September 29

I uploaded yesterday's race data. The run is half what it should be which means that I DNF'd during the run. I thought I took in enough nutrition and hydration during the bike, but apparently not. I never really had the urge to go on the bike until about 15 miles from finish which should have been an indication. I was trying to not over do the nutrition considering the issues I had in FL last November.

Anyways, I though I was gaining on bringing it back together then the hilly second half of the lap came and the wheels fell off. I stopped at the aid station Porto potty at the stop just past halfway hoping to ease the nausea but didn't and came out with wobbly legs and wound up on the ground. It was raining and I started shaking and my day was done. Maybe without the cold rain and some more time sitting there taking in some electrolytes I could have pulled it back together, I don't know. Obviously disappointed, as I have never had this happen before.

Heading home today. Going to take some time to reflect, but I still won't put an IM on next years schedule. Maybe a year or 2 of shorter races will help me figure out the nutrition issues and I can try again. For now, after recovery and a trip to San diego next week, I will focus on strength training and some running.

Despite the tack and oil issue on the bike course, this venue was awesome and I highly recommend it. The volunteers were awesome and most I met were not there to get a slot for next year. They were locals just wanting to be a part of the event.

And just an FYI, I disnt suddenly learn to swim. It wasn't wetsuit legal, but there was a friendly current carrying us along!

• Calories out: 2493 From lifestyle:2493, From activities:0

Sunday - September 28

Swim
  • 1h 08m 20s
  • 4364.71 yards
  • 01m 34s /100 yards
Bike
  • 5h 51m 07s
  • 115.62 miles
  • 19.76 Mi/hr
Run
  • 2h 34m 13s
  • 13.54 miles
  • 11m 23s /Mi

Feeling a bit mixed about this race.  On one hand I am a bit burned out, this is my 3rd IM in 13 months.  Subsequently the training probably hasn't been as strong as past races.  Part of my struggles has also been a fairly busy work schedule this spring and summer.  On the other hand, it is a great race venue, or at least what I have seen of it so far, and IM races always have an awesome on course atmosphere. Everything about this race has embraced by the community, from the news to the worry about he weather by the weathermen to the locals coming down to check out what IM is all about  I think that is exciting and I expect it will carry over into the later part of the race tomorrow night. 

It is also quite possibly my last IM, at least for a while.  I have the best and most supportive wife on my racing endeavors.  It is time we go on vacation that isnt a race and I can leave my bike at home.  The training hours for the shorter races are much more family friendly and there are plenty of those types of races within an hours drive of home. 

So, regardless of what the day brings, I will try my best to have a great race.  I will enjoy every minute of it!  And I will finish with a huge smile on my face!! 

• Calories out: 8327 From lifestyle:2120, From activities:6206
  • RACE DAY: Ironman Chattanooga

Saturday - September 27

Swim
  • 20m
  • 1200.00 yards
  • 01m 40s /100 yards
Fun swim with the current pushing me along!

Bike and gear checked in, ready to go!

• Calories out: 2696 From lifestyle:2480, From activities:216

Friday - September 26

Bike
  • 30m
  • 8.00 miles
  • 16.00 Mi/hr

Shakedown cruise around the race sight.

• Calories out: 2863 From lifestyle:2473, From activities:389

kenj's Training Log

October 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat