Exercising my demons

Tuesday - August 14

Unplanned rest day.  I did not get up in time to squeeze in a run before work, and since I had to work late I was exhausted by the time my wife got back from her run and went to bed early.

On a positive note, I took another look at my goals for next year, and so far they're shaping up as:

• Jan-Dec - Year-Rounder Challenge (a century ride every month for a year) 
  • February - Hyannis Half Marathon
  • June - Mooseman Olympic
  • August - Timberman 70.3

Monday - August 13

Today we packed up and drove back home from NY.  With several stops (breakfast, lunch, gas, etc.) and hitting construction along the way it took us nearly 7 hours.  After dinner I started unpacking some of my gear, then went to bed early.

Sunday - August 12

Sport
  • Walking
  • 20m
Today we spent the entire day at the track.  We headed over in the morning to stake out good seats to watch the race, then after the race we stayed behind and had dinner there so we would not have to deal with the heavy traffic right after the race.  When we got back to the campground, it was raining steadily, so we sat under the canopy for a while, then I went to bed.

Saturday - August 11

Bike
  • 2h 09m 59s
  • 34.92 miles
  • 16.12 Mi/hr
9:00am - This morning I did an out-and-back route along Seneca Lake before we headed over to the track.  I forgot my sunglasses, but that did not prove to be an issue until just before I got back to the campground.  I was coming down a long, downhill section at about 35 mph when my eyes started watering.  Just ahead, I noticed what I thought was a small rock in the road.  I tried to veer away from it, but I clipped the edge of it instead.  It shot up and hit me in the foot, at which point I realized that it was a lug nut from a car wheel.  Wow, did that hurt!  :(

Friday - August 10

Sport
  • Walking
  • 20m

7:00am - I had planned on getting up and riding this morning, but it poured all night and I did not get much sleep from the noise of the rain on the roof of the tent.  There was still a light drizzle this morning, so I decided to skip the ride altogether.

9:00pm - Today we spent the afternoon doing wine tastings at a number of local wineries, then went to the track for tonight's Rolex Grand Am race.  Once we got there, I had to walk up to the part of the track where all the merchandise trailers are to pick up a scanner and pair of headphones that I had rented for the weekend.

Thursday - August 9

Run
  • 48m 23s
  • 3.37 miles
  • 14m 22s /Mi
7:00pm - Today I spent 6+ hours driving out to Watkins Glen, NY with a friend for the Rolex/NASCAR race weekend.  Once we got to campground, got set up and had dinner, I went out for a run.  The area is outrageously hilly, which was reflected in my pace.  At the start of the run, I discovered that the battery in my HRM belt had died, so there's no HR data.

Wednesday - August 8

Sport
  • Yard Work
  • 1h 00m

7:30am - Tomorrow morning I'm leaving for a 5-day camping trip to Watkins Glen, NY.  So, my time after work tonight is going to be spent finishing my laundry and then getting everything packed.  Weather permitting, I may take the girls over to the kids track meet, since tonight is the last meet of the summer.

5:00pm - When I got home from work it was steaming hot, so I decided that it would be unwise to take the girls up to the track meet.  They were a bit disappointed, but I did not want them overdoing it in the heat.  Also, it allowed me to get my lawn mowed before packing for my trip.

scott's Training Log

August 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races