08:47 - 437 - 02:00
11:57 - 656 - 01:49
08:54 - 437 - 02:02

20m pool, 2nd set P+PB

Sport
  • Volleyball
  • 1h 45m

8:00am - Plan for the day:

• 7:00am - Lap swimming at Boston Sports Club (done)
  • 7:00pm - Volleyball (last week of Friday night pick-up until the fall)

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7 Overall Workout: 3

Thursday - May 15

Bike
  • 45m
  • -----
  • -----

8:00am - Plan for the day:

• TBD - I had to get into work early and I need to leave early, so I have no idea what the day will bring.

9:00am - I just decided that I'm going to do the Lions Spring Sprint this weekend, so I think I may just take today as an unplanned rest day, instead of Sunday being my recovery day.

2:30pm - I was supposed to be having lunch today with Kate, Coach Vic and his wife who works in my office, but that fell through and I decided to go the gym for spinning class.  In the end, I'm glad I did because an instructor I know who races with Wheelworks Multisport was substituting today.

6:00pm - I was supposed to play volleyball tonight, but on the way home I got a call from my wife to meet them (her and the kids) at the Emergency Room.  One of my daughters fell on the playground after school and broke her arm.  :(  So, I had to go the ER and pick up my other daughter, take her home, feed her dinner and get her ready for bed.  By the time we got home and got dinner ready, my wife and daughter were home.  They wrapped her arm in some sort of splint, and she gets a cast in the morning.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7

Wednesday - May 14

Swim
  • 45m 39s
  • 2300.00 yards
  • 01m 59s /100 yards
Bike
  • 59m 28s
  • 18.04 miles
  • 18.20 Mi/hr

Total climbing 1947 ft
Max speed 36.1 mph

Sport
  • Walking
  • 1h 00m

6:30am - Plan for the day:

• 7:30am - Lap swimming at the YMCA
  • 9:00am - School field trip with my kids
  • 2:00pm - Cycling
  • 7:30pm - Teach swim classes at the YMCA

8:30am - I really didn't feel like swimming today, but once I got to the "Y" and got in the water I was fine.  There were four lanes open (one slow, two medium, one fast) and all of them had two swimmers except for one of the medium lanes.  I was able to split the lane with a guy who appeared to be a freediver, as he was practicing swimming an entire lap along the bottom of the pool on one breath!  He had these enormous fins on, and it was pretty fun to watch.

1:00pm - The school field trip was pretty fun.  We went into Boston to Beacon Hill, the Esplanade and the Public Gardens, to follow the path of the ducklings from "Make Way for Ducklings".  Along the way we stopped and the teacher read the story to everyone.  As it turned out there were not enough seats on the bus for everyone, so I drove in with three of the other parents.  As we were talking, I learned that one is training for the Run to Remember (her first half marathon) and another is looking to get back into running.

3:30pm - After getting back home from the field trip I had some lunch, then went out for a bike ride.  Along the way I stopped several times because I heard a creaking noise, but I could not figure out where it was coming from.  I'll have to bring the bike to the LBS this weekend to have them take a look.

10:00pm - Swim class was a bit hectic tonight.  The first session went well because I only had 5 students, so I was able to do a lot of 1:1 work.  However, the second session had 12 students, which made for a pretty crowded pool.  We swim across the shallow end using three lanes, so the folks were pretty much shoulder to shoulder.  Afterwards a few folks wanted to stick around for some individual help, but by that time I had spent 2.5 hours in the water today and I was pretty cold.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7 Overall Workout: 4

Tuesday - May 13

Run
  • 34m 50s
  • 3.00 miles
  • 11m 37s /Mi
Sport
  • Walking
  • 30m

7:30am - Sudbury pictures are up.  I have an album of pictures of me (of course) but my teammate also has his own album of pictures from the rest of the team.

Plan for the day:

• 5:00pm - Running - 40 min

I have tomorrow off from work (kids' school field trip in the morning), so I'm going to rearrange my schedule a bit to swim in the early morning, then do a bike/run brick tomorrow afternoon.

2:30pm - The sun is out and I was getting a little antsy, so I went out for a short walk to get some fresh air and stretch my legs.

6:00pm - Got my run in, but my legs felt like crap.  Specifically, my left calf/shin was sore and never seemed to loosen up.  So, I took it as slow as possible but it did not seem to help much.  My right achilles also seemed tight, not sure why.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 9

Monday - May 12

Sport
  • Yard Work
  • 45m

9:30am - Today is a rest day after racing at Sudbury yesterday.  This morning I met with my health coach at work, and my weight is down 4 pounds from last week.  My primary goal is my training (not weight loss) but if I can trim down a bit I'd be much happier.

My plan for the rest of the day:

• 5:00pm - Yard work (weather permitting).  I did not get the grass cut this weekend due to schedule conflicts.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 9

Sunday - May 11

Bike
  • 21m 49s
  • 7.00 miles
  • 19.25 Mi/hr
Run
  • 21m 14s
  • 2.30 miles
  • 09m 14s /Mi
Swim
  • 07m 01s
  • 400.00 yards
  • 01m 45s /100 yards

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 3

Saturday - May 10

Bike
  • 49m 38s
  • 14.43 miles
  • 17.44 Mi/hr
Run
  • 22m 56s
  • 2.10 miles
  • 10m 55s /Mi
Sport
  • Hiking
  • 45m

11:00am - Last night I could not sleep, and ended up only getting about 3.5 hours of sleep.  Today our team did a preview bike/run of the Sudbury course.  We started out doing four laps of the bike course (double the race distance), then did an Indian run on the run course.  By the end of the Indian run my calves were killing me, so I sat out while the rest of the team did another loop of the run course on their own.  Afterwards we had a team breakfast at a local eatery.

4:00pm - After lunch we drove out to South Deerfield to meet up with some friends for the afternoon.  One of the activities (which I did not know ahead of time) was a 45-minute hike up and down Mt. Sugarloaf.  Thankfully my wife drove there and back, so I could catch a couple of quick naps in the car.

I forgot to bring my Garmin to work today (Monday) so I don't have the HR or accurate time data.  Will update later.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Hours slept: 3.5 Overall Workout: 3

scott's Training Log

May 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races