• 2h 47m 24s
  • 21.10 kms
  • 07m 56s /KM
Swim
  • 58m 35s
  • 2010.00 meters
  • 02m 55s /100 meters

Saturday - August 9

Travel day..... oh.. and the weather... SUCKS!!!!

Today... expecting 20-25mm of rain during the day... up to 5mm in the evening... and maybe 1mm overnight. Tomorrow... possibility of thunderstorms in the afternoon... and a high 17*C... OH BOY!!! The one and ONLY saving grace... winds of 5 km/h expected tomorrow (Easterly... so cold but not very strong).

Friday - August 8

Bike
  • 19m 30s
  • 10.00 kms
  • 30.77 KM/hr

A check out ride on the bike... making sure all systems are a go. Gears... check. Bike... check. Tires... check. Body... check. :)

Sorry everyone for the lack of responses. Today was spent shopping for food... getting everything ready for the weekend of camping and racing. I've been at it since this morning. I took the bike out for a quick 10km to make sure all is well... checked out fine. However, when I went to switch the tires (put good front tire on back and new tire on front)... I found a cut in the good tire. I had to make a quick 10:15 pm run to the LBS in Kitchener... fortunately for me they were open tonight until 11 (moonlight madness sale). Bought two new tires and I hope I don't get a pinch flat because they don't have 700-25's... only 700-23's. :(

Oh well... I'll survive... if I don't have a nervous breakdown first. Have a great weekend everyone... I'll be incommunicado for a few days. I won't be back until late Monday. If you're racing, race smart, race hard, race fast. :) If you're training... keep the rubber on the road and the neoprene in the water. :)

I'm off (my rocker and the net). Be well and be safe. :)

Thursday - August 7

LORDY.... I feel like I just went through the whole washing machine cycle yesterday. I'm aching all over like I did an extra hard workout... almost like I ran 15 km. My ankles are stiff, my knees are sore, my shoulders, my back... everything aches.... I guess it's much more of a workout then I realized in that kind of surf. LOL

I made it out to the second sandbar a couple times... this was where the REALLY big waves were. I'd say they were a good 5'... standing in 4' of water and having this monster wave coming down on you is a lot of fun... when you're prepared. I took one wave right in the face with my eyes open, pushed my contacts back up on my eyeballs... THAT was painful. Was blind and hurting for a couple minutes. Went back in and got my goggles after that.

Fun day though.... I think I spent at least 2 hours playing in the surf. Paying for it today though. But, I had to keep up with my boys. :)

EVENING UPDATE:

Spent the afternoon shopping with my #2 son. Shoes ... purchased. Bathing suit... purchased. Bike rack... purchased. Pick up repaired wheel... done. Have son's wart frozen... done. Go to video game store to return movies and buy new one... done.

Get in car to head home... oh... what's this... someone is asking for help. My son says, "Dad, this lady wants you to help this man on the street." I look out the window... lady on cell phone... man standing on sidewalk, holding his arm and bleeding profusely. WTF... I get out of car... find some kleenix and serviettes in the car. Give them to him to staunch the flow of blood. The woman is calling 911. I try to find something more substantial to stop the bleeding. I end up taking a HUGE wad of Kleenix and holding it over the wound while we wait for the EMT's.

He's very apologetic for being a bother. He said he got in an arguement with his wife, that he got upset and punched out a window. The gash on his arm, from what I could tell was a good 6" long... and cut to the bone. I'm sure I saw muscle and bone. The wound was WIDE open... he kept trying to look at it before I slapped on the kleenix and held it. When the EMT's arrived, they started asking him questions... and he got belligerent... and started yelling. I'm not sure what was up... but I left (after cleaning my hands). The woman was VERY appreciative that I stayed around.... she said she would have freaked out if she had been alone with him.

Let this be a lesson to ALL. Keep your heads about you... even when you're upset.

What a fun day. :) :( :O

Description of Bracebridge 1/2 Ironman

Transition

Grass covered in Beautiful Annie Williams Park also known as Bracebridge Kinsmen Park

Swim Course– 2000m

There has been a change to the swim course. The course was originally a single loop swim of 2,000m. In order to help athlete visibility of buoys we have changed the course to a two (2) loop swim. Each loop will be 1,000m with athletes exiting the water after the first loop to cross a timing mat.

Bike Course - 90KM

It is important before any race that you know the course. It helps to get an understanding of landmarks, road conditions, corner positioning and the length of specific sections. The Bracebridge Hal Iron bike course is a technical one that will be fun for many and a challenge for some. We strongly recommend that you drive the bike course prior to the race.

0-10km - The course heads west out of Bracebridge on Santa’s Village Road before reaching Muskoka Rd 118. This section of the course features gently rolling terrain on winding roads. There are several residences on this section of the course so ride with care.

10-23.5km - The course then heads northwest on Rd 118 towards Port Carling. This section of the course features long steady climbs, scenic rock-cuts and classic Muskoka landscapes. Rd 118 is a major road, but with great paved shoulders on all uphills. You must use the shoulders when available, either going up or coming down.

23.5-26.5km - The course then heads north on Muskoka Rd 47 (Hewitt Rd) for approximately 3km.

26.5-30.5km - The bike heads west on Falkenburg Rd towards Muskoka Rd. 25. This section of the course is very, very technical and features short rises/drops with sweeping turns; you will do a great deal of shifting and braking in this section of the course. You must be aware of your surroundings at all times and stay to the right at all times, especially around the many turns/bends.

There are also a few rough road sections on Falkenburg and these will be marked with signs and spray paint on the road. This section is tree covered which this also creates shadows on the road. As with any race it is important that you ride with conditions determining your speed.

30.5-38km
- The course heads north on Muskoka Rd 25 (Brackenrig Rd) to Muskoka Rd 4. This section of the course features fast downhills with sweeping turns and steep winding uphills. Your downhill momentum will carry you up a portion of the next uphill, but the remainder will be hard work. You will need to be aware of your surroundings on this section of the course as there are many bends/turns both going up, and coming down, hill.

38-45km - The course heads 6km east on Muskoka Rd 4 (Windemere Rd). This section of the course features steady grades on wide roads with good sightlines. Please use the shoulders when present. The turn-around is just south of Three Mile Lake.

BOTTLE DROP: There will be a bottle drop at approximately 30km and 60km on the bike with:
Water in 28oz Bottles
Hammer H.E.E.D. in 24oz Bottles
Hammer Gel
Bananas

Run Courses

Triathlon Run and Duathlon 2nd Run 21.1km

The run course travels over the Muskoka River on Wellington St before turning West on Beaumont Dr. The course is relatively flat as it hugs the Muskoka River as is descends towards Lake Muskoka. The course does two circuits of 10km on Beaumont Dr before returning over the bridge and back to the park for the finish.

Run Aid Stations

There will be aid stations on the run course approximately every 2km with:
Water & ICE
Hammer H.E.E.D.
Hammer Gel
Assorted Fruit & Pretzels

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 8

Wednesday - August 6

Swim
  • 10m
  • -----
  • -----

I "TRIED" to swim today... but the water was SO rough. There were 3'-5' swells. I couldn't swim in that if I tried.

Sport
  • Body Surfing
  • 1h 30m

We were had so much fun playing in the surf. I got flipped, and tossed, and half drowned. But, we had a GREAT time. Was a good work out. :)

Beach day with the family. I'll probably do a swim (sans wet suit) of about 15-20 min.... the rest of the day will be for soaking up the sun and chillaxin'. :)

Have a superb day everyone.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6

Tuesday - August 5

Bike
  • 22m 50s
  • 10.00 kms
  • 26.28 KM/hr

Mountain bike training ride. Went out for a quick spin with the Schwinny... he's not fast but he gets the job done. 5 min w/u & c/d... 5x1min FAST (or as fast as it would go) with 1 min rest intervals.

Run
  • 10m 33s
  • 2.00 kms
  • 05m 17s /KM

Quick brick after the bike.
5min w/u, 3x:30 strides, 1:00 rest intervals.

1 min transition time.

I could get used to this sleeping in thing. ;)

Yes everyone... cheesecake... first come first serve. LOL :O

• Health data: Hours slept: 8

Monday - August 4

Sport
  • Commuter Cycling
  • 10m

Biked to the corner store and back... realized I didn't have any graham cracker crumbs to make my White Chocolate Lime Cheesecake. I'll count that as a commute... because I didn't take the car. ;) LOL

Bopper's Training Log

August 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races