Enjoying life one day at a time

Sunday - May 3

Run
  • 53m 38s
  • 10.38 kms
  • 05m 10s /KM

RR is up... this was a PB for me... by about 2.5 minutes. It could have been better though... my knee was giving me trouble during the last 2 km of the run. Not sure if it was running almost 75% of the race downhill... or if my trainers are past time to be replaced. I think it's a combination of both. I listened to my body and pulled over immediately. Rubbed out the "stitch" then continued on at an easier pace. Was able to push a little at the end, but  still not like I wanted. Good race tho'... kinda fun running with 10000 other people. Laughing

Go here for finish line video... my finish time was 55:50.... I found myself, but I'm just one head amongst 100's of others crossing the line at that point. At 56:15 I walk across the screen to get to the side of the finish chute to wait for my friend. Guy in white hat , sunglasses and a yellow shirt.
http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/sportinglife10k/index.html

For clearer pics... check my album on FB... too tired to downsize and put them on here.Surprised

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2311404&id=629602679&comments=#/album.php?aid=93157&id=629602679

• Health data: Hours slept: 5

Saturday - May 2

Swim
  • 51m 40s
  • 2500.00 meters
  • 02m 04s /100 meters

Straight EZ swim... tried to maintain my speed through out the 50 minutes... was pretty close to 1:00/50m. I'm happy with that for an easy swim.

This was a straight swim... only stopped for 2x, :20 total to check the number of laps I'd done.

Strength
  • 08m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • SHOULDERS - Flys
  • SHOULDERS - Rotator Cuff - Front
  • SHOULDERS - Rotator Cuff - REAR
  • TRICEPS - Skull crushers

After swim shoulder exercises that I keep forgetting to log, because it's now second nature to do them.

We're off to the Big Smoke tonight to spend time with the friend I'm running with tomorrow. We will be staying at her place over night because it's less then a 1 km from the start of tomorrow's race. Also saves me from getting up at 4:00 a.m. to drive to the race start.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.5

Friday - May 1

Run
  • 18m
  • 3.12 kms
  • 05m 46s /KM

A quick little run after playing Taxi dad... and before playing Taxi Hubby.

I did this run at what I hope is race pace for Sunday, we'll see what I can accomplish then. A pretty fast run for this old man.

I should have brought running gear and gone for a run at lunch. It's an absolutely superb day out (right now). The wind is a little strong, but it keeps it from being unbearable. Sunny, poofy clouds, 16*C... the perfect conditions for running. I'm going to have to do this from now on... even tho' I only have a 1/2 hr for lunch... 20 min of running is better then nothing at all. :)

Tonight could be difficult to get a run in. We are going to be having company coming over tonight.... if the ladies decide to go out for drinks, I will have to stay home and entertain her daughter. No worries... I can always do 20 min on the tready. Sunny sky's make me feel all sunny inside... go figure. :) :o

I was able to get the run in... but I didn't have a lot of time to cool down... or stretch... fortunately it wasn't a very long run or very warm outside. So I didn't get too hot.

Thursday - April 30

Swim
  • 52m
  • 2000.00 meters
  • 02m 36s /100 meters

Speed
WU: 400 free warm up. (100 BR, 100 fist pull, 100 free EZ, 100 free moderate)
The following to be done at Tpace minus 3" per 100.
MS: 50/100/50/100/200, repeat. 10" rest between. (50's @ :55, 100's @ 1:58, 200's @ 4:03... hit those marks pretty consistently. Rests were :10-:20)
CD: 600 mix non-free cooldown. (100 br, 50 bs, 100 kick zoomers, 100 Back kick zoomers, 100 br, 50 bs, 100 br)

Time is for all the rests as well. The main set was 1000m in 22:30 (2:15/100) including rests.
Good hard swim to end the month.

Strength
  • 10m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • SHOULDERS - Flys

My typical post swim shoulder exercises.

Weather is going to be horrible next couple days (rain, cats, dogs, thunder, lightning, etc)... so I'm not riding for a couple days. I'll swim tonight, run Friday (EZ run), swim Saturday (probably bike to pool), then race on Sunday.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5

Wednesday - April 29

Bike #1
  • 43m 45s
  • 21.23 kms
  • 29.12 KM/hr

"EZ" spin this morning. I pretended I was riding a single speed. Left it in 42-15 for almost the entire ride. That's a little too hard for the steeper pitches, but not nearly enough for the downhills. Good work out.

Bike #2
  • 34m 30s
  • 21.20 kms
  • 36.87 KM/hr

WEEEEEEEEEEEE.... I love steady tail winds. This was an AWESOME fun ride home. Every hill seemed smaller and less steep, every flat seemed like a downhill. I was hammering the gears, and even ran out of gears on the flats a couple times. Spinning at 100 rpm, 50+ km/h... fun, fun, FUN!!!

As you can tell from the HR info, I wasn't working that hard either. :)

The max HR was probably when the moron decided to cut in front of me in the left turn lane, just before reaching the lights... then braking hard to stop while he waited for the traffic to clear so he could turn. If it weren't the busiest intersection I go thru, I would have ridden up beside him and given him a piece of my mind. PISSSSSSED OFF .... to say the least. YellFrownYell

Tuesday - April 28

Work day today... I'm going to try to get to the pool again tonight... or maybe I'll do an easy run... we'll see how I feel tonight. 

Since inquiring minds want to know... here she is in all her glory.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=5630&photoid=99918

(I'm computer challenged... not sure how to post into my blog... you'll have to go to the album to see this pic. Embarassed)

Monday - April 27

Run
  • 27m 37s
  • 5.02 kms
  • 05m 30s /KM

Did a quick morning run. It's so beautiful out I couldn't resist. Tried to keep HR down, but I was moving comfortably and just kept going. Tried to maintain a pace I thought I could hold until the end... and maybe I could hold for another 5k... we'll see on Sunday. :)

Bike #1
  • 17m 30s
  • 7.50 kms
  • 25.71 KM/hr

Bike to the pool 5km - 12:00... then bike to a local diner for lunch with Sweetums after swimming 2km - 5:30 min (construction & town roads)

Swim #1
  • 20m
  • 900.00 meters
  • 02m 13s /100 meters

This is 10 min warm up, and 10 min cool down.
w/u
100m Breast stroke, 100 kick with fins, 100 pull with buoy, 100m ez swim.
c/d
100 m EZ swim, 100m BR, 100 Kick fins, 100 pull fist drill, 100m BR & Back.

Swim #2
  • 21m 20s
  • 1100.00 meters
  • 01m 56s /100 meters

This was the main set of my swim. Non-stop, no aids... just me playing in the water. Comfortable swim, since it's been almost 3 weeks, didn't want to get fancy. I kept it steady and I hope smooth.

Bike #2
  • 33m 20s
  • 18.00 kms
  • 32.40 KM/hr

After lunch, headed out for a quick ride. I was going to do an hour, but there was NO FREAKIN' WAY. The wind was blowing amazingly hard. SW 30km/h gusting to 55 km/h. I almost got blown across the road or off the road a few times (depending on which side the crosswind was). The first 5km had a large hill climb going out of the river valley... DIRECTLY into the wind. I was workin' my a$$atar off and still was only going 17km/h... or less. I didn't go into the triple, but damn was that tough.

The tail wind section was lovely tho... was maintaining 40km/h without working at all. Then climbing the 2.5 km hill, I kept up over 30km/h over the entire length... usually 35km/h. Gotta LOVE tailwinds. I decided I didn't want to extend the ride any longer, glad I didn't, because doing so would have been horrible headwind coming home.

Strength
  • 10m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • SHOULDERS - Flys

OH... I don't think that high Heart Rate is correct. I went under some high voltage power lines (a couple times) and I think that played havoc with my monitor. I was working hard a couple times on that ride, but nothing near death. Surprised

Lunch was delicious with Sweetums... we both had a Swiss Chard, Broccoli, & Havarti Strudel, she had the soup, I had the salad. It was very yummy... to top it off I had the Chocolate & Ginger Biscotti... yummmmmy. Nice little restaurant in the neighbouring town.... high school friend of Sweetums owns. Helping the local economy is a good thing. Money mouth

I forgot to mention... Sweetums got her new bike last week and she's VERY happy. She is NOT a girly girl and didn't want a woman's coloured bike... but also women's bikes tended not to fit her very well. We ended up with a Giant FCR3 Hybrid bike... bottom of the line component wise, but adequate for her needs. I may eventually talk her into using clipless pedals (or traps maybe), but for now she's happy with regular pedals. The colour is not something I would have picked,... but she loves it. So her new bike is called..........

CLEMENTINE.... (guess what colour Wink)

She doesn't want to me to ride with her quite yet... she needs to build up some endurance, but eventually we will ride together. SurprisedCoolSmile

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.5

Bopper's Training Log

May 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance