Bike #1
  • 48m 30s
  • 22.57 kms
  • 27.92 KM/hr

Morning commute... headwind!! WTF??!!
Oh well, I was riding Xena today so sliced through pretty easily. I'm hoping to ride with the Novice road group tonight as a ride leader. Time to put in some time as a Club Team member... I think I can keep up with these people with out too much difficulty.

Nice morning, except for the wind, temperature was cool, but not uncomfortable. Only needed the light wind breaker and arm/leg warmers today. Kept things pretty easy and spun as easy as I could. Forgot to start watch... the bike computer was acting up... and Strava isn't great as it says the distance is 23.5 km. Sheesh, can't this technology work together?? LOL

Below is a guess for the metrics.

In zone: 18:00
Calories: 500

Bike #2
  • 2h 29m 06s
  • 74.70 kms
  • 30.06 KM/hr

Commute from work to the ride start... easy tonight as it was a tailwind. Along the one road, there is a Strava segment, and I knew about it. However, I tried to take it easy so as not to burn out the legs before even getting to the group ride. The wind was SO helpful though, i couldn't resist pushing it a little. On the little rollers at the start of the segment, I spun over them, but after that I just rode... medium hard. After finishing that segment, I just kept on pumping and got to the start in good time.

Novice group ride... as a club team member, I feel an obligation to help out on these rides. I am going to try and show up regularly to help the newer members. Nothing like a big freight train pulling the group along. I started out with Group 2, but after 10 minutes and the first climb, I flatted. WTF?? Oh well, quick change and I'm off again... I was passed by the last 3 groups and caught up with them in Bamberg. I then joined Group 3 and rode with them. It was a lot slower then I would have liked, but it was still a good ride. Had to really work at communicating and teaching a lot of the newbies, but by the end they were working pretty well together.

At the turn off point, were they headed home, I took off my way home... over the NASTY hills again. Through Bamberg then up to St Agatha and Petersburg, heading into the wind (but also scoping out the TT route for Sunday). Every hill I climbed as I closed in on St. Agatha, my legs would get more tired. It got to the point where I couldn't put out the wattage necessary to climb the hills in a decent gear. Some of the steeper hills I had to shift way down... but I didn't stop. Heading home up the hill from Petersburg, I kept the pressure on and almost made the top of the hill at 30 km/h, but not quite. Coming into town, I was rocketing along at 40-50 km/h and in the last .5 km I just spun easy and stretched the calves. My legs are tired now though... GOOD!

Strava says 74.7 km... I guess we'll go with that because my cyclo-computer kept cutting out. :(

in zone: 1:32:50
Calories: 1550

• Calories out: 6066 From lifestyle:2910, From activities:3157
  • Health data: Hours slept: 6
Bike #1
  • 46m 40s
  • 22.57 kms
  • 29.02 KM/hr

Foggy morning commute. FINALLY a warm morning. I only had to wear one extra layer (thin jacket and knee/arm warmers). It's sooooo much easier to get ready when you don't have to spend 15 minutes getting dressed.

Stayed in SCR and spun easy. It IS harder riding with the CX rubber on the bike, but I just have to suck it up and strengthen these legs. :)

HRM didn't link with chest strap, so I don't have any HR info.

Bike #2
  • 44m 30s
  • 22.57 kms
  • 30.43 KM/hr

GREAT ride home... had a favourable wind and that makes a huge difference for me. The majority of the ride was a helping crosswind, the last 6 km was downwind and FAST. Even on The Beast!... I was maintaining over 40 km/h on the flat section before town. It was awesome!

Give a good hard push today, although I only rode in SCR for the first 10 minutes to warm up. Lovely evening!

In zone: 35:18
Calories: 475

• Calories out: 4451 From lifestyle:2995, From activities:1456
Swim
  • 50m
  • 2000.00 meters
  • 02m 30s /100 meters

First swim in months... not too shabby! ;)
W/U: @ :10 RI
2x25 FS easy
2x25 BK easy
2x25 FS easy
2x25 BS easy
Build: @ :15 RI
4x50 FS
4x50 BS
Main: @ :20 RI
6x100 BK/BS (3 of each as my back wasn't liking back stroke that much)
6x100 FS
C/D: @ :10 RI
1x50 FS Push and glide
1x50 FS easy

I changed up the workout a little with the first 6x100 set. Was supposed to be all back stroke, but my back just wasn't feeling up to that, so I put in Breast stroke. The freestyle 6x100's were all done at 2:10/100... steady effort, but not to hard. I was still tired from yesterday's race, so an easy swim was what I choose on Swimplan.com. Good choice, specially since I haven't swam in a very long time. Glad to know I still have some stamina in the water though. :)

• Calories out: 3560 From lifestyle:3027, From activities:533
Bike
  • 1h 54m 16s
  • 66.60 kms
  • 34.97 KM/hr

------ Official time/results --------
45 racers, 5 DNF's, 6 finishers lapped and finishing down one or more laps.

Overall - 28th.
Clock time: 2:00:16
Real time: 1:54:16 (started 6 minutes after first wave).

Passed by the lead group once, finished only about 2 minutes behind my team mate. Not bad considering I rode half the course basically alone.

I was able to stay with my pack for 3.5 laps of the 7 laps... they lost me on the hills. These were steep little rollers, immediately after a turn. The first one wasn't terrible, but the next 2 were as you had no speed carried into them and the downhills were too short to gain momentum. I tried, unsuccessfully to get back on to the group, but I was alone, and into the wind, up a gentle grade and I wasn't able to catch them. I was gaining ground, but as soon as they turned downwind there was no way I was catching them. The next lap the fast group caught up to me at that downwind section and I tried to latch onto their train, but just had nothing left to maintain that effort and still make it up the hills. So I eased up and conserved energy so I could complete the course.
In that lap, I caught another rider, and we tried sharing pulls for a little bit, but as we climbed the one road, into the wind, he yelled out "My HR is at threshold, I can't pull." So I kept pulling. When we turned downwind, he pulled again, but then my legs were getting cooked. On the next series of hills though, I lost him and continued on alone. On the second to last lap, I caught another rider from my original group and we rode together for a while, but instead of continuing on for the final lap, he dropped out and went to the finish line. I kept going, but was torn... did I miss count? was I doing an extra lap? I slowed, turned around, then just made up my mind to keep going, damn the consequences. I was sure I was in the right and just kept pumping.
The last set of rollers was... onerous. I made it up them, but I wasn't going very fast (only 11 km/h) and it hurt. Then I got to the last headwind section... I went down into my TT position and just pushed through. I caught up with another rider as he was climbing the last hill to the finish line... I just put my head down, stood and sprinted by him to finish up my ride.
I think my time/distance is correct, but I could be off a little bit as I started the watch before starting and didn't reset the odometer on the computer after my warm-up.

All in all... I am happy with the result. I didn't cramp up at all and stayed on top of my nutrition. Maybe I could have started sooner to have the energy to keep with the pack... but I won't know that until the next race.

In zone: 1:56:07
Calories: 1495

Ontario Master's Cycling Association first race of the year... I have no expectations for this race. I'm in it to stay in the pack for as long as possible. I'm taking SHORT pulls... and working my ass off on the hills (not that there are a lot today... thank goodness). Working on my nutrition and keeping it simple. Race for fun and camaraderie. If I get dropped... so be it... I'll finish, I'm not quitting today... 66 km or bust!!!

This is an Age Group Pursuit.... modified slightly. The oldest members (70+) will be joined by the slowest members (38 km/h TT). The idea is to have the fastest riders catch the slowest guys near the end... making for an exciting finish.

Last year at my first AGP, I started in the last group as I'm in the youngest age group... I got dropped in the first half lap and rode the next 3 laps alone. I was passed by the winner within his last half lap. I was under the impression that I was to stop after being lapped... so never finished the race. That happened twice... and it's disheartening, to come out to these races to race with other's and end up being alone for 1.5 hours. If I wanted to do that, I could go out and do my own training ride. Will be interesting to see how this works out this year.

• Calories out: 5410 From lifestyle:2976, From activities:2434
Run
  • 15m 35s
  • 2.71 kms
  • 05m 45s /KM

Just a little run to see how my body feels. I didn't try to push it, just feeling out the body parts. These are my observations:
Achilles - started feeling a little tightness around 6 minutes, but that eased off with better form.
Knees - started feeling a little tender after 10 minutes, but nothing unusual.
Lungs - barely working
Heart - barely working
Brain - LOVIN' IT... the beautiful sunshine, the warm(er) weather... just couldn't resist.

All-in-all... pretty decent run for first one in almost 6 months. Felt like going longer, but knew that would be a bad idea. I'm going to try this again... next one with an ankle brace to see if that helps to support the Achilles.

IN zone: 13:29
Calories: 149

Bike #1
  • 48m 40s
  • 22.57 kms
  • 27.83 KM/hr

Another cold morning commute... but maybe? the last one??? Took the longer route into work, used minimalist gearing... only shifting a couple times the entire time. The big hill basically down to SCR, the rest of the time it was 52-21 gear, spinning down hills and grinding up hills, once my legs slowed down. Tough riding but it's a good work out. :)

In zone: 29:08
Calories: 470

Bike #2
  • 47m 30s
  • 22.57 kms
  • 28.51 KM/hr

Looks like there is a trend here... no matter how hard I try on The Beast, with the new tires, I'm not going as fast as I used to. I'm not sure I like that... sure they are going to last longer, less prone to punctures or pinch flats, can be ridden on trails, off road, etc.... but if the trade off is speed and ease of riding, then I'm not sure I like that. I work my butt off to get home, but the speed isn't there. Is it the bike/tires? Or is it me? Have I lost so much climbing strength? Points to ponder... will see what my results are like at the first Master's Road race on Sunday, riding Xena.

In zone: 39:05
Calories: 535

• Calories out: 4527 From lifestyle:2991, From activities:1536
Bike #1
  • 45m 20s
  • 21.19 kms
  • 28.05 KM/hr

Morning commute... nothing special. Lovely sunrise, cool temps, quiet roads, lots of hills... yup, nothing special. ;)

Took the hilly route this morning, just to work on leg strength. The legs are still a little tired from Tuesday, but this is when you need to keep working on those muscles. Tonight I'll push even harder going home. I'm going to be fighting a headwind (and possibly rain) so will be doubly hard with the hills. WEEEEEEEEE!! :O

In zone: 34:05
Calories: 491

Bike #2
  • 53m 30s
  • 21.19 kms
  • 23.76 KM/hr

SUCKED... 'nuff said.
Terrible headwind... delayed start due to working late and t'storm, wet roads, etc. etc. etc.

It was a struggle to make it home.

In zone: 39:36
Calories: 546

• Calories out: 4425 From lifestyle:2988, From activities:1436

Bopper's Training Log

May 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25