Enjoying life one day at a time

Wednesday - May 15

Appointment immediately after work, so I have to drive today. Good thing too, because it's thunder & lightening out there.... not an ideal day to be riding. Later on it will be lovely, but right now... not so good. :(

Tuesday - May 14

Bike #1
  • 46m
  • 22.57 kms
  • 29.44 KM/hr

C-0-L-D.... WTF it's MAY already!! Why do we need to suffer through almost freezing weather. I had to have my cold weather jacket, and pants on this morning... couldn't find my booties and wish I had them. Upper body and legs were fine, but my feet were cold.

I'm working on my leg strength again, so on the hills I kept the gearing heavy and hard. I just pushed through and kept the pressure up. It felt good and my legs are fully recovered from the harder effort on Saturday. :)

Wasn't a super hard ride either... I really need to learn how to push past my comfort zone. I will work on that tonight... morning commutes aren't the place for that as I need to have some brain cells for 10 hours of work.

In zone: 23:24
Calories: 422

Bike #2
  • 42m 16s
  • 22.57 kms
  • 32.04 KM/hr

Hard ride home... but there was a helping cross-wind and tailwind, so wasn't too bad. My backpack was full though, from all the extra layers that I wasn't wearing from this morning. I attacked all hills, pushing big gears again and rumbling along on all the flats. About half way home, I had to slow down for a semi-truck that pulled out of a side road when I was very close to the intersection. He was leaving me the lane, but I figured, he would be passing me shortly (and it would have been on a hill) so I slowed right down and let him go. Wasn't too upset with him, because he as trying to be considerate, but still, he shouldn't have even started the turn. Oh well, no harm no foul and my legs were thankful for the break.

On the final straight-away into Baden, with a good tailwind, I was able to maintain 40+ km/h for the entire section... until the hill up to the turn... at that point I was wasted and just spun easy for the last 1 km.

Good tough ride, need more of these.

In zone: 35:00
Calories: 456

• Calories out: 4294 From lifestyle:2997, From activities:1298
  • Health data: Hours slept: 6

Monday - May 13

Swim
  • 50m
  • 1500.00 meters
  • 03m 20s /100 meters

No real plan, just swam... did a warm up from one workout, build up from another and then decided to swim a TT of 750m (16:34)... I think that's my best time for 750m, I'm pretty happy with that, my swim strength hasn't suffered too much from lack of swimming. I was starting to fade at the end, but pushed through. My Aerobic capacity was fine, was just breathing hard and not gasping at the end... so my limitation in the pool is upper body strength and that's to be expected with the amount of time I spend in the pool (next to nothing). ;)

• Calories out: 3493 From lifestyle:3027, From activities:466

Sunday - May 12

Happy mother's day to all the BT Mom's out there... I hope the family treated you royally! :)

• Calories out: 3067 From lifestyle:3067, From activities:0

Saturday - May 11

Bike
  • 3h 20m
  • 100.70 kms
  • 30.21 KM/hr

Centurion Ontario Pre-ride.

My cycling buddy and I went out for a pre-ride at the Centurion Ontario route at Horseshoe Valley resort. It was exactly what I needed, to see the course first hand and know what to expect, but also to get a good hard LONG training ride in with plenty of hills. This was exactly what it was... the hills seemed to never stop at some points... and if we weren't climbing we were descending in cross-winds. Great ride with a nice group of guys. I have a lot of work to do on the hills, my power to weight ratio is lacking, but I make up for it on the flats/downhills. I was coasting down hills over 60 km/h, and cruising on the flats at 40 km/h numerous times. I showed them what a big man can do if he's got an engine. ;)

Sadly, I failed on my nutrition and almost bonked in the last 20 km... but kept going and just worked to stay with the pack. It helped that Graham took charge of the pack and slowed them down to make sure we all finished together. It wasn't to be a hammerfest, just a nice training ride, which is exactly what it ended up being.

My friend and I were very pleased to have done it...even with the 2 hour drive. :)

In zone: 2:11:20
Calories: 2101

• Calories out: 6103 From lifestyle:2908, From activities:3195

Friday - May 10

Not riding today... and I have excuses to why...

1. weather - rain all day (although it wasn't raining this morning, and is supposed to be finished by 5... I'm a wimp Wink ).
  2. 100 km pre-ride tomorrow @ Horseshoe Valley for Centurion Ontario
  3. need to The Beast's rear wheel in to have spoke changed. I don't have the tools to do it. I tried getting tire off this morning and couldn't even get it started. I'll leave it for the pro's with the tools to do it.
  4. my legs are tired.

Hope every one else has a great weekend... and to all the Mother's... HAPPY MOTHER"S DAY. Hope you're spoiled by your kids & hubby's.

• Calories out: 3067 From lifestyle:3067, From activities:0

Thursday - May 9

Bike #1
  • 39m 30s
  • 21.19 kms
  • 32.19 KM/hr

Was having a good ride... and then the skies opened up. I got a little wet, but it wasn't uncomfortable as it was warm.

Decided that I needed to maintain the effort through out this morning, too often after a tough day I will take a couple days easy. That hasn't worked, so now it's going to be a couple hard days followed by easy days. Kept the cadence up over 90 for the majority of the ride, on the hills I tried to keep the speed up as well as the cadence... really worked the legs. :)

In zone: 23:25
Calories: 369

Bike #2
  • 44m 30s
  • 21.19 kms
  • 28.57 KM/hr

Just another ride home. Nothing special to report... except I developed some kind of cramp in my left knee... it was most excruciating. Every couple minutes it was there for a couple seconds, then gone. This started around 4 pm and I had to ride home with it. The cramp was worse when I was exerting a lot of pressure on the pedals, but if I rode steady and spun easy, it rarely happened. While at work, it occured when I was doing nothing at all... just sitting normally in my chair. VERY bizarre.

Made some good time even though I was riding through a headwind. I rode in a TT position (arms on top bar) and just tried to take it easy to prevent cramping from getting worse. Good ride. :)

in zone: 22:25
Calories: 416

• Calories out: 4553 From lifestyle:3000, From activities:1552

Bopper's Training Log

May 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31