Enjoying life one day at a time

Sunday - May 5

Bike #1
  • 36m
  • 12.00 kms
  • 16.36 KM/hr

Easy ride to the race, and short warm up.

Followed by a ride home with my friend. He wanted to go out for an hour and half ride, but I had promised to be home to help make lunch (BBQ steak... yum).

Bike #2
  • 28m 13s
  • 18.04 kms
  • 38.36 KM/hr

OMCA Time Trial #1, non-Aero bike.
Temp - 16-18*C
Wind - SE >10 km/h
Sunny and beautiful

I wasn't sure why, but I was nervous about this "race". I have done a number of TT's and Triathlons, so I know how to pace and race my race against the clock. I was up early, so drove out to the course and checked the roads and corners. I cleaned some gravel on one corner that had been done (yesterday, I found out) but had a few loose bits on it still. Cleaned up some wood on the road from a downed tree that has yet to be cleaned up from an ice storm over a month ago. Made sure all was ready for the race.

After getting home and prepping bike, I was ready to go... when my front tire blew AGAIN!! WTF??? This was the one that blew up on me on Wednseday, and it was a brand new tube. As I didn't have time to replace the tube (which I have none to replace), I put on my OEM wheels. The Roval's are a semi-aero wheel and are very fast, so I'm not upset. I then make the slow ride up to the race site, making sure to warm up the legs a little, but not waste them. Took me 15 minutes to get there... normally less than 10. Then another 7 or so minutes of warm up riding from registration (finish line) to the start line... which I had rode past. Waited in line for my start and then I was off. Once I got on the bike, all nerves were gone, but getting prepped, I was just a little weirded out. No biggy.

So, the first leg of the course was a NW direction, with a good downhill to start. I got up to speed quickly and started hammering... the light tailwind helped too. I must have reached over 60 km/h on that downhill section, but once it started climbing (long slow climb of about 4 km and a gain of 100 feet, so nothing serious), I kept the pace up. I was doing over 40 km/h along that section and wondering if I wasn't over doing it, considering the hills to come. I decided that I was ok and just kept motoring. I caught the guy who started ahead of me in about 7 minutes... just after the turn. I then had my sites set on two other riders ahead.
The turn had us heading east... into a cross wind (light breeze) and was the beginning of the hills. I caught my second rider on that section... just before the three way stop (which I was able to fly through as there was no traffic). After that downhill into the stop sign, there is a long flat section, that opens up and the wind was an issue. I tried to keep up the pace, but I backed it off just a little (under 40) and saved the legs for the hills. On the first hill, I almost caught the next rider, but it wasn't until the next uphill that I passed him. The first hill is a steep pitch, but short. I made it over that around 25 km/h, and geared up on the downhill. The next hill is a long climb, that steadily increases in pitch... I just kept the pressure on and passed two guys on that hill. Cresting the top, I geared up and just kept pumping the legs... cadence over 90 I think... and made sure to use the downhills.
We came into the last turn which gave us a little hill to climb, but with a helping wind... if there was any as it was well protected by trees... followed by a long steady downhill. I just put my head down and gave it all I had left. I saw a guy in my mirror , and I thought it was my friend from the WCC/Flying Dogs. He started one minute behind me and my goal was to NOT be passed by him. So I just gave it my all... trying to bring the pace up over 50 km/h. I wasn't able to do that, but he never gained any time. I finished strong, right through the line.

I took another 2-3 minutes of riding to bring the heart rate down and cool off a little. VERY happy with my time/results. I passed 4 guys and was never passed, so I did very well (but then again, I could have been seeded in the wrong slot... that will change next time :o ).

Had a superb race and local knowledge helped on pacing for this race. :)

In zone: 27:59
Calories: 387

A couple things forgot to mention in the race report, it was a standing start. I also, rode for a good portion of the ride with forearms on the top of the handlebars. I can ride in that position for only so long as it's hard on the arms, but it does give me an aero advantage.

• Calories out: 3905 From lifestyle:3016, From activities:889
  • Health data: Hours slept: 6

Saturday - May 4

I am going to rest today... I want fresh legs for tomorrow's TT... will probably do some outside yard work, along with the other Saturday chores. Sweetums and I are going to take a relaxing day together. No rushing around to get kids here or there... or anywhere. Although #2 had to go to work this morning and #1 has work this aft/eve... WE don't have to drive them! :)

Friday - May 3

Bike #1
  • 49m 50s
  • 22.57 kms
  • 27.17 KM/hr

Another lovely morning... just a little cooler than the last couple morning... and the wind was a headwind. I just hope it stays that direction for tonight.

Just tried to keep the pressure off the legs, spinning them out and loosening them up. I want to have fresh strong legs for Sunday and the OMCA TT.

In zone: 18:26
Calories: 427

Bike #2
  • 41m 18s
  • 22.57 kms
  • 32.79 KM/hr

Gotta love those tailwinds...left work late and pushed pretty hard. Not all out though, just hard and steady.
Strava segment I placed 4th overall and this on my old slow bike...felt pretty good working on my climbing.
Last flat bit into town I kept it at or over 40 km/h for the entire 1.5 km...very good. Last 1 km easy spin.

In zone: 33:15
Calories: 456

• Calories out: 4670 From lifestyle:2995, From activities:1676

Thursday - May 2

No riding today... even though it's absolutely effin' beautiful out there... today is #3's birthday (16!!! ARGGGHH). He's requested a dinner at a local burger joint. I have to leave work immediately and drive to Waterloo as the restaurant doesn't take reservations and we don't want to be waiting at the door for 20 minutes. I've been TOLD, no riding today. ;)

Wednesday - May 1

Bike #1
  • 48m 30s
  • 22.57 kms
  • 27.92 KM/hr

Morning commute... headwind!! WTF??!!
Oh well, I was riding Xena today so sliced through pretty easily. I'm hoping to ride with the Novice road group tonight as a ride leader. Time to put in some time as a Club Team member... I think I can keep up with these people with out too much difficulty.

Nice morning, except for the wind, temperature was cool, but not uncomfortable. Only needed the light wind breaker and arm/leg warmers today. Kept things pretty easy and spun as easy as I could. Forgot to start watch... the bike computer was acting up... and Strava isn't great as it says the distance is 23.5 km. Sheesh, can't this technology work together?? LOL

Below is a guess for the metrics.

In zone: 18:00
Calories: 500

Bike #2
  • 2h 29m 06s
  • 74.70 kms
  • 30.06 KM/hr

Commute from work to the ride start... easy tonight as it was a tailwind. Along the one road, there is a Strava segment, and I knew about it. However, I tried to take it easy so as not to burn out the legs before even getting to the group ride. The wind was SO helpful though, i couldn't resist pushing it a little. On the little rollers at the start of the segment, I spun over them, but after that I just rode... medium hard. After finishing that segment, I just kept on pumping and got to the start in good time.

Novice group ride... as a club team member, I feel an obligation to help out on these rides. I am going to try and show up regularly to help the newer members. Nothing like a big freight train pulling the group along. I started out with Group 2, but after 10 minutes and the first climb, I flatted. WTF?? Oh well, quick change and I'm off again... I was passed by the last 3 groups and caught up with them in Bamberg. I then joined Group 3 and rode with them. It was a lot slower then I would have liked, but it was still a good ride. Had to really work at communicating and teaching a lot of the newbies, but by the end they were working pretty well together.

At the turn off point, were they headed home, I took off my way home... over the NASTY hills again. Through Bamberg then up to St Agatha and Petersburg, heading into the wind (but also scoping out the TT route for Sunday). Every hill I climbed as I closed in on St. Agatha, my legs would get more tired. It got to the point where I couldn't put out the wattage necessary to climb the hills in a decent gear. Some of the steeper hills I had to shift way down... but I didn't stop. Heading home up the hill from Petersburg, I kept the pressure on and almost made the top of the hill at 30 km/h, but not quite. Coming into town, I was rocketing along at 40-50 km/h and in the last .5 km I just spun easy and stretched the calves. My legs are tired now though... GOOD!

Strava says 74.7 km... I guess we'll go with that because my cyclo-computer kept cutting out. :(

in zone: 1:32:50
Calories: 1550

• Calories out: 6066 From lifestyle:2910, From activities:3157

Tuesday - April 30

Bike #1
  • 46m 40s
  • 22.57 kms
  • 29.02 KM/hr

Foggy morning commute. FINALLY a warm morning. I only had to wear one extra layer (thin jacket and knee/arm warmers). It's sooooo much easier to get ready when you don't have to spend 15 minutes getting dressed.

Stayed in SCR and spun easy. It IS harder riding with the CX rubber on the bike, but I just have to suck it up and strengthen these legs. :)

HRM didn't link with chest strap, so I don't have any HR info.

Bike #2
  • 44m 30s
  • 22.57 kms
  • 30.43 KM/hr

GREAT ride home... had a favourable wind and that makes a huge difference for me. The majority of the ride was a helping crosswind, the last 6 km was downwind and FAST. Even on The Beast!... I was maintaining over 40 km/h on the flat section before town. It was awesome!

Give a good hard push today, although I only rode in SCR for the first 10 minutes to warm up. Lovely evening!

In zone: 35:18
Calories: 475

• Calories out: 4451 From lifestyle:2995, From activities:1456

Monday - April 29

Swim
  • 50m
  • 2000.00 meters
  • 02m 30s /100 meters

First swim in months... not too shabby! ;)
W/U: @ :10 RI
2x25 FS easy
2x25 BK easy
2x25 FS easy
2x25 BS easy
Build: @ :15 RI
4x50 FS
4x50 BS
Main: @ :20 RI
6x100 BK/BS (3 of each as my back wasn't liking back stroke that much)
6x100 FS
C/D: @ :10 RI
1x50 FS Push and glide
1x50 FS easy

I changed up the workout a little with the first 6x100 set. Was supposed to be all back stroke, but my back just wasn't feeling up to that, so I put in Breast stroke. The freestyle 6x100's were all done at 2:10/100... steady effort, but not to hard. I was still tired from yesterday's race, so an easy swim was what I choose on Swimplan.com. Good choice, specially since I haven't swam in a very long time. Glad to know I still have some stamina in the water though. :)

• Calories out: 3560 From lifestyle:3027, From activities:533

Bopper's Training Log

May 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Volume

Time