Enjoying life one day at a time

Monday - July 15

Bike
  • 50m
  • 30.00 kms
  • 36.00 KM/hr

Just a quick little TT down to Southampton and back. Put up some serious times on this route and I wasn't really trying. Had a great tailwind down and was mostly protected on the way back. It is a PERFECT cycling road too... full bike lane for the entire 11 km, mostly flat, fully tree lined, and traffic is usually pretty considerate. It was a perfect morning for a ride.

• Calories out: 2570 From lifestyle:1901, From activities:669

Sunday - July 14

Pack up vehicles and head off to Sauble Beach for a week of fun in the sun (hopefully)... at the very least fun at the cottage with the kids and their friends.

Saturday - July 13

today consisted of:

= going to the optometrist as I think I scratched my eye yesterday putting in contacts (nothing terrible, but she said no contacts for a few days)

= go to the dentist to look at pain in the mouth (infection under the gum, and possible root canal)

= shopping for food for our cottage trip (mostly meat products, the rest we can purchase at cottage)

= packing/laundry/prepping for departure

No time today for working out.

Friday - July 12

Bike #1
  • 44m 25s
  • 20.55 kms
  • 27.76 KM/hr

Loving morning... and was planning on taking The Beast, but he had a flat and I didn't have time to change it. So, it was Xena and I this morning. Legs still feel weak, so I didn't push it this morning, just my normal ride. Took a shorter route, but it has the bigger hills and heavier traffic. It's all a trade off here... didn't have too much traffic trouble though as I was taking the lane and people had to respect my space.

I did stop once to help a motorcyclist who had lost his keys of his motorcycle. I was able to locate it for him... just as a car drove over it and smashed it to bits. Not sure how he's going to start his bike tonight with the chip key in pieces. Expensive morning ride. :(

In zone: 7:18
Calories: 319

Bike #2
  • 39m 49s
  • 22.57 kms
  • 34.01 KM/hr

Yup... that was speedy, thank to the tailwind... but I also gave it a little more effort. Nothing onerously hard, but steady. I tried to keep the cadence high and the effort manageable. Seemed to work well, my HR didn't spike at all and I maintained a decent speed throughout, even on the little rollers.

On a couple stretches, I used some power and tried to keep the speed over 40 km/h... the first one is a little hilly, but I had a good average on that section (I think, sure felt good). Then on the last segment coming into Baden... a nice 2 km flat stretch, I put the pedal down to see what I could do... I kept it easily over 40 km/h and had my second fastest time on the second, only 4 seconds off the best. I could have gone harder, but I still have weak legs, so just kept them spinning more then hammering.

After that, I just rolled home. Legs felt fine, so I think I'm recovered now. That was a tough day on Thursday... what with the TT effort in the morning, then a 77 km afternoon ride, with another TT effort near the end. I'd say it's been a productive week.

In zone: 30:13
Calories: 419

• Calories out: 2863 From lifestyle:1884, From activities:978

Thursday - July 11

Bike #1
  • 50m
  • 22.57 kms
  • 27.08 KM/hr

Nice and easy this morning, my legs were feeling the load from yesterday's riding. It was a gorgeous morning though, so I enjoyed my commute this morning. Riding steady and easy.

In zone: 3:39
Calories: 321

Bike #2
  • 53m 45s
  • 21.19 kms
  • 23.65 KM/hr

oh yeah... I can go slow... if I REALLY put my mind to it. My legs still feel tired, so I felt it was best to just roll home, nice n easy. Was in SCR for the majority of the ride. Just kept it light tonight.

IN zone: 1:30
Calories: 326

• Calories out: 2825 From lifestyle:1874, From activities:951

Wednesday - July 10

Bike #1
  • 41m 15s
  • 22.57 kms
  • 32.83 KM/hr

SW wind... means tailwind... but there was also a rain cloud coming from that direction, so I got ready quick and took off on Xena to try and beat the rain. Didn't work, made it about half way before it started to rain enough to make the roads wet... and it just got steadier and wetter as I rode. Still pushed hard to get to work without being too wet... and stay out of the lightening. Forecast is for clearing the aft/eve, so I should be "dry" going home, the humidity is going to be nasty again today... it already is this morning.

In zone: 32:44
Calories: 429

Bike #2
  • 2h 23m 35s
  • 73.30 kms
  • 30.63 KM/hr

Bike from work to the start of the Club Novice ride.... ride with the novice riders for one lap of the loop, then head home.

A cold front went through this aft, so the humidity has finally broken. It was actually comfortable riding... if you weren't working hard. Had a good ride with the group... we kept together as best we could until a guy flatted. Then half of us waited for the other half to rejoin us. The guy changed his first tire, so it took a while longer then expected.

After the group turned off, I took the hills back home. On Sandhills Road I had a great tailwind, so I pushed... and was maintaining over 40 km/h on most of that stretch... until my legs said FU and I had to take it easy the last 5 or 6 km home.

Long afternoon bike with no food. HR is not right... probably some interference with other's... or something like that. No way did I work that hard.

In zone: 1:20:45
Calories: 1753

• Calories out: 3826 From lifestyle:1834, From activities:1993

Tuesday - July 9

Bike #1
  • 44m 45s
  • 21.18 kms
  • 28.40 KM/hr

Another wet morning... this is getting ridiculous with the rain, it seems like it's constantly raining. I have given up trying to ride dry all the time, so just sucked it up and rode. The forecast was for rain all day... finished by 6 tonight, so just in time to ride home. The radar doesn't agree with that assumption, and didn't look like it was too bad this morning, and it wasn't. It was just a few sprinkles... and water from the roads. I think I got more wet from sweat this morning... it's warm and VERY humid.

Took the quietest roads this morning... taking it easy on the hills and just rolling to work. Until I get to the busy roads, I see few cars on this route (only saw 4 cars this morning). After that it's normal traffic, which isn't that heavy as it's not even 7 a.m. yet.

In zone: 14:40
Calories: 377

Bike #2
  • 44m
  • 21.19 kms
  • 28.90 KM/hr

The Beast and I rode home in the Steam Room. It was unbelievably humid... temperature was ok, but the humidity made it feel like 35*C. That's freakin' hot by any standards... and worse when it's humid.

Had a nice South wind on the way home... which is a cross-wind for the majority of the ride, but a helping wind for the north bound section. I took the hilly route home and pushed some speed on the segments heading north... and got PB on one of them and excellent times on the rest. Felt pretty strong, but the bike is sluggish compared to Xena. Good training though.

In zone: 21:45
Calories: 415

• Calories out: 2772 From lifestyle:1882, From activities:890

Bopper's Training Log

July 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Volume