The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Partly Cloudy High 77FLow 55F
  • Temp: 69F
  • Hum: 70%
  • W: 4mph NE
TUESDAY
Sunny
High 80F
Low 55F
WEDNESDAY
Sunny
High 84F
Low 55F
THURSDAY
Sunny
High 80F
Low 59F
FRIDAY
Sunny
High 80F
Low 58F

Monday - October 1

Run
  • 39m 13s
  • 4.50 miles
  • 08m 43s /Mi
I really don't like doing these easy/recovery runs. I have a hard time hitting the target pace. I was aiming for 8:00-8:20 pace, but I was too slow. It's weird, I don't see the point of going so slow. If I'm running this slow, I might as well not be running at all. What am I training? I barely even broke a sweat. I was never breathing hard. I think it's easier to run 7:30 pace than 8:30 pace anyway.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 2

Sunday - September 30

Unwanted day off today. I really wanted to get up early to ride my bike, but it doesn't get light enough to ride until about 6:45 or so. With parents in town, plus needing to get ready for church, it just didn't work out for me to get a 25 mile bike ride in. I suppose I could have done a shorter one, but I didn't. In addition, the Bears officially suck, and my TGFFL team is just as bad. I knew it was a mistake to put faith in McNabb. Now I feel really stupid having him on all 3 of my teams. It's going to be a long season. At least the Cubs are in the playoffs. Game 1 on Wednesday...

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Sick: 1

Saturday - September 29

Run
  • 57m
  • 6.00 miles
  • -----

6 X 1000m repeats

3:23
3:35
3:40
3:31
3:38
3:33

I rested for about 2 minutes between repetitions. The overall time includes a proper warmup, cooldown, and stretching.

The first interval was too fast, and I knew it. I was aiming to be in the 3:30-3:40 range. It's hard to slow yourself down on the first one, when you're fresh.

This has been a good week of running, but I only managed 1 swim workout, and no biking. I should try to ride the bike tomorrow, because I should really take a day off from the running.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 1h 05m

Mowed the lawn this morning after running.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 1 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 4

Friday - September 28

Run
  • 41m 58s
  • 6.20 miles
  • 06m 46s /Mi

New PR by 40 seconds. I really wasn't running too hard until the last mile, when I was trying to get home in under 42. It's starting to get a little chilly for the morning runs - 45 degrees (and dark) at 6:30 AM.

Splits were 21:09 and 20:49.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 30m

Went for a walk with the family in the evening.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 5

Thursday - September 27

Recovery day. I was going to do a light run tonight, but Anisa isn't getting home until late, so I'll just take the day off. I'm planning on 5-6 miles in the morning, and then maybe 8 on Saturday. Speedwork Sunday? Or possibly I'll do a bike ride one of these days. I don't want to get too far out on that discipline.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Sick: 1

Wednesday - September 26

Run
  • 1h 38m 12s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 07m 30s /Mi
This is the first time I've covered this distance since Grandma's in '01. I basically ran my 10K route twice, plus added 0.7 at the end. I did stop for about a minute after the first out and back to grab some gatorade and a gel pack. Splits: 5K - 23:37 10K - 47:28 (23:51) 15K - 1:10:52 (23:24) 20K - 1:33:36 (22:44) 21K - 1:38:12 (4:36) This is one of the best runs I've ever had. Temp was 55-60 while running, very light breeze. It was good to take the last 2 days off from running, as my legs felt energized for today's run. I felt strong for the first 11 miles or so, but then the last 2 were tough. I'm still building my endurance for this distance though. I think I should be able to break 1:35 for the 1/2 marathon, which is now less than a month away. I need to do some more endurance and LT training these last few weeks.

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Stress: 5 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 1 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 5

Tuesday - September 25

Swim
  • 25m
  • 1312.34 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards
So there are 6 lanes in the Bell Center pool, right? Three of the lanes were roped off for lap swimming, the other 3 are usually just for general swimming, or sometimes people doing rehab. How were the lanes being used today? Lane 1 - some woman holding the diving platform doing some kick drill Lane 2 - a guy swimming laps Lane 3 - two women walking the shallow end Lanes 4-6 - two women's basketball players doing some water training or rehab Some obvious solutions here: Option 1 - have the two walkers move to lane 1, since they didn't need the deep end Option 2 - move the two walkers to the non-roped lanes, since they didn't need the deep end Option 3 - have the two rehabbers move over to lanes 5-6 (or really just lane 6) to do their (stationary) drills Did any of this happen? Of course not. So I decided to swim lane 4 and try to get past the flounders. They saw what I was doing, and made no attempt to get out of my way. A few times I stopped short and just turned around without getting to the wall. A few times I weaved between them to get to the wall in lane 5. Eventually I got fed up and quit. All I really needed was about 4 feet right next to the rope. I'm sure they would have moved over if it was just them, but their idiot coach, complete with whistle, was not of a mind to really give a crap about anyone else. College coaches can really be idiots ("Come after me! I'm 40!" or "It's Division 1 football!"). The real solution is that if sports teams want to do pool work, they should do it at a time separate from the few hours out of the day that the rest of us can use the pool. But we all know that will never happen. I guess this is the price you pay when you get a membership at a gym at a university. I try to console myself with the fact that I didn't have to pay very much for my membership, but even if Anisa didn't work there and I paid full price, I'd still get the same treatment. OK, that's the end of the rant. Hopefully I'll make up for this with a good workout tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 2

robfornoff's Training Log

October 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned