The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Partly Cloudy High 58FLow 32F
  • Temp: 40F
  • Hum: 86%
  • W: 6mph SSE
FRIDAY
Sunny
High 42F
Low 29F
SATURDAY
Sunny
High 45F
Low 33F
SUNDAY
Sunny
High 54F
Low 44F
MONDAY
Light rain
High 60F
Low 43F

Saturday - October 13

Run
  • 55m 57s
  • 8.00 miles
  • 06m 59s /Mi
Good run today, based on pace. I did have to stop twice for about 15 seconds each (once for traffic, once for 2 crazy neighborhood dogs), so that probably improved my time a little. I always pause the timer if I have to stop. This time was almost 2 minutes fast than last Friday's, probably because of fresher legs. I think I can probably do this pace for the half, or at least close to it. Splits: First 3.1 miles - 22:01 (7:06 pace) Second 3.1 miles - 21:44 (7:01 pace) Final 1.8 miles - 12:12 (6:47 pace) The knee felt a little sore toward the end of the run, but not too bad. I'm hoping to make it to next weekend, and then I can rest after the half.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5

Friday - October 12

Run
  • 06m 59s
  • 1.00 miles
  • 06m 59s /Mi

(Update: I did get on the treadmill for just a mile tonight. I think I just need to get practice at this pace so I don't take off and run a 6-minute mile right off the bat. It's so tempting to run faster at the gun.)

I was going to run tonight, then take tomorrow off, and run Sunday morning in Belmond. I'm changing my plan for 2 reasons: 1. my right knee has felt a little gimpy lately, and 2. Sunday morning is supposed to be raining. I don't like running in the rain too much, especially when it's 50 degrees. So instead I'm skipping today's workout (which was only going to be 4 miles on the treadmill, anyway). Here is the new updated plan. Saturday - 8 mile run Sunday - off Monday - 5-6 mile run Tuesday - 3 mile easy run, or off Wednesday - swim Thursday - 3-4 mile run Friday - off Saturday - off Sunday - race I'm going to try to run everything except Tuesday right at 7-minute pace, at least as best I can, to approximate race pace for the half. Pacing is something I need to work on if I'm going to meet my goal. What do you guys think about pacing strategy? I've heard a lot of different opinions. Most say to stay right at the same pace the whole way. However, some propose a little faster start to give yourself a cushion. On the other hand, some say to try to get a negative split, conserving your energy for the end. I kind of like doing negative splits because it's a more enjoyable run. If you start out hard, like I did in the 5K, you feel beat up the whole way through, just trying to hang on until the end. But when I do a negative split, I always wonder if I left some time on the course in the early going. Any suggestions here?

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 5 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 2

Thursday - October 11

Planned day off. I needed the rest. I hope to do 4-5 miles tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Sick: 2

Wednesday - October 10

Bike
  • 50m 47s
  • 17.56 miles
  • 20.75 Mi/hr
Cold and windy today - so I bought a long sleeve bike jersey, and some bike gloves. It's probably going to be like this for the long term, so this way I can still get out and ride for hopefully the next 2 months or so. I also brought my bike in to get it fitted today. The guy took all my measurements and checked some measurements on the bike, and do you know what he did? He lowered my seat a half an inch. He said everything else was spot on. I have very little hope that that will solve my problem. I've been above and below the current seat position before, and my discomfort remains. I'll try this for a few times, and then I'll probably try a new seat. The other suggestion the bike guy had was to raise the handlebars. I have a 6-inch drop from my seat to the elbow pads, which is very large. Raising the bars is easier said than done in my case, however. The fork's top bar on my bike was cut very short, so I would either need a new fork or a new stem. The other option is to raise the pads on the handlebars to get me out of such a deep aero position. We were thinking of getting some sort of spacers and longer screws to get the pads up higher than the bars. At least there are a few things to try. After all that, when I actually got to the ride, I wasn't feeling it. I cut it short because I just wasn't into it. Better than no ride at all, I guess.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 2

Tuesday - October 9

Run
  • 41m 17s
  • 6.20 miles
  • 06m 40s /Mi
New PR by 41 seconds. Unlike my previous PR, I was really pushing myself today. Conditions were much better for running today - 58 degrees, 8-10 MPH wind. Splits: 2.5K - 10:20 5K - 20:55 (10:35) 7.5K - 31:21 (10:27) 10K - 41:17 (9:56) The negative split looks nice, but the way back was with the wind, and with the big downhill near the end. It's amazing how much a difference taking a day off from running can make. And when your day off is cross training, you can still get a workout in. I also noticed that today's run puts me over 500 miles for the year. That's kind of cool.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 1 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 5

Monday - October 8

Swim
  • 45m
  • 1640.42 yards
  • -----
6 x 200m repeats today. All times were between 3:35 and 3:40. Total time and distance includes warmup, cooldown, and rest periods of 1-2 minutes between intervals. I figure this is roughly equivalent to the 1000m repeats I did running last weekend, as the times were almost identical. This is a really good workout. I would suggest it as an alternative to the regular 1500m swim that we've been doing, just to break up the monotony.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 4

Sunday - October 7

Run
  • 42m 06s
  • 5.63 miles
  • 07m 29s /Mi
A thoroughly miserable run today. Did I fall asleep for 9 months and wake up in July? Seriously, 75 and 90% at 7 AM. I was planning to do a 10 mile run today, but I had to cut it short because I felt so terrible. I think another problem is I might be getting into overtraining. My legs are feeling weaker with each day. I need to take a day off from running and come back strong on Tuesday. I'd also like to make it to the gym for a swim this week, so maybe that can happen tomorrow. Just thinking about the plan for the next 2 weeks leading up to the half, here is the tentative plan: Monday - swim Tuesday - medium run (6 miles) Wednesday - bike (25 miles) Thursday - off Friday - short run (3-4 miles) Saturday - off (out of town) Sunday - long run (8 miles) Monday - off Tuesday - medium run (6 miles) Wednesday - swim Thursday - short run (3-4 miles) Friday - off Saturday - off Sunday - race This is a first draft, likely to change upon further review. The goal is to keep my endurance and stamina up, but have strong, fresh legs for the 21st.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 1

robfornoff's Training Log

October 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned