THURSDAY
Partly Cloudy
High 39F
Low 28F
FRIDAY
Cloudy
High 28F
Low 16F
Swimming didn't happen. I woke up with a headache and a sore back again. I'm pretty sure the headache is from too much caffeine. The back has me puzzled. It did improve after some ibuprofen and just moving around. I think I'll just take today off again and try to do a short run tomorrow morning.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Sick: 2
Another day off today. Legs are just a little sore, but it's just the usual post-run stiffness. Plan to swim tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Sick: 1
Run
  • 26m 58s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 06m 44s /Mi
Wet and dreary day outside today. Typical October Monday. A long day at work, followed by Voters Assembly at church, meant I was forced to the treadmill. It was actually OK, as I got to watch the MNF game. DVR is great - I can watch an entire game in about an hour and a half if I skip all the commercials and halftime. If I skip all the down time between plays, it actually cuts it down to about an hour, or even less. Anyway, I did 8.6 MPH, which is rihgt about 7-minute pace, with 1/4 mile accelerations at 10 MPH. Knees felt fine. Back feels fine. This was a comfortably intense workout, if that makes any sense. I'll still probably take tomorrow off, plan to get to the pool on Wed., then do a 3-4 mile steady pace run on Thursday. So far, so good.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 3
Well I don't know what happened, but my back was KILLING me when I woke up this morning. Sometimes that happens if I'm crowded in bed (sometimes Kaylee gets in our bed when we're staying at Anisa's parents' house), but this was different. It felt like someone had whacked me across the back with a baseball bat. It hurt just to breath. After some ibuprofen and a soak in the hot tub, I was feeling better. Fortunately, I wasn't planning to run today. Plus it was raining all day long, so I wouldn't have been too excited to get outside anyway. Hopefully I can do 4-5 miles tomorrow and all will be good again.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 1 Sick: 3
Run
  • 55m 57s
  • 8.00 miles
  • 06m 59s /Mi
Good run today, based on pace. I did have to stop twice for about 15 seconds each (once for traffic, once for 2 crazy neighborhood dogs), so that probably improved my time a little. I always pause the timer if I have to stop. This time was almost 2 minutes fast than last Friday's, probably because of fresher legs. I think I can probably do this pace for the half, or at least close to it. Splits: First 3.1 miles - 22:01 (7:06 pace) Second 3.1 miles - 21:44 (7:01 pace) Final 1.8 miles - 12:12 (6:47 pace) The knee felt a little sore toward the end of the run, but not too bad. I'm hoping to make it to next weekend, and then I can rest after the half.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5
Run
  • 06m 59s
  • 1.00 miles
  • 06m 59s /Mi

(Update: I did get on the treadmill for just a mile tonight. I think I just need to get practice at this pace so I don't take off and run a 6-minute mile right off the bat. It's so tempting to run faster at the gun.)

I was going to run tonight, then take tomorrow off, and run Sunday morning in Belmond. I'm changing my plan for 2 reasons: 1. my right knee has felt a little gimpy lately, and 2. Sunday morning is supposed to be raining. I don't like running in the rain too much, especially when it's 50 degrees. So instead I'm skipping today's workout (which was only going to be 4 miles on the treadmill, anyway). Here is the new updated plan. Saturday - 8 mile run Sunday - off Monday - 5-6 mile run Tuesday - 3 mile easy run, or off Wednesday - swim Thursday - 3-4 mile run Friday - off Saturday - off Sunday - race I'm going to try to run everything except Tuesday right at 7-minute pace, at least as best I can, to approximate race pace for the half. Pacing is something I need to work on if I'm going to meet my goal. What do you guys think about pacing strategy? I've heard a lot of different opinions. Most say to stay right at the same pace the whole way. However, some propose a little faster start to give yourself a cushion. On the other hand, some say to try to get a negative split, conserving your energy for the end. I kind of like doing negative splits because it's a more enjoyable run. If you start out hard, like I did in the 5K, you feel beat up the whole way through, just trying to hang on until the end. But when I do a negative split, I always wonder if I left some time on the course in the early going. Any suggestions here?

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 5 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 2
Planned day off. I needed the rest. I hope to do 4-5 miles tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Sick: 2

robfornoff's Training Log

October 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Time
Distance
  • June's totals