The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Sunny High 66FLow 48F
  • Temp: 43F
  • Hum: 86%
  • W: 0mph N
MONDAY
Sunny
High 72F
Low 49F
TUESDAY
Partly Cloudy
High 54F
Low 40F
WEDNESDAY
Sunny
High 58F
Low 47F
THURSDAY
Sunny
High 57F
Low 38F

Saturday - October 20

Looking good, Billy Ray!...Feeling good, Lewis! I went downtown to get my "packet" for the half for tomorrow. Registration was at the Convention Center, same as for the Hy-Vee Tri. There was a sports & fitness expo going on, which I think mostly consisted of local shops with stands selling shoes, gear, food, etc. Registration was very easy - no lines, no pre-race meetings like for Hy-Vee. Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind the pre-race stuff back in June, considering it was the first time any of us had done a tri. But this time it was very smooth. I could have been in and out in literally two minutes if I wanted. One of the booths was for Hy-Vee, so I stopped by. If you fill out a survey, you get your choice of a hat or t-shirt. The hat was the same one we got for competing. So I got the shirt. It's the black shirt with the "swim bike run" Hy-Vee logo. I also asked about the USAT membership, to see if there was a discount. The guys didn't know, but they said they'd call me when they find out. I think I'll get up around 6:15 or 6:30 tomorrow, have a powerbar and some gatorade and head out. I'm parking at the hospital ramp, so I won't have to worry about finding a spot. It's about 3/4 of a mile to the start (8AM), so I'll just use that as my warmup.

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Sick: 1

Friday - October 19

Rest day. I don't plan to run again until Sunday morning. I want my legs to be as fresh as possible. I don't have much concern from a cardio standpoint, it's more of the leg strength and endurance that worries me. Ideally, I would have done more long runs in the 10-15 mile range to truly prepare to race 13 miles. But seeing as how I only decided about 2 months ago to increase my endurance to train for this, I didn't get that done. The first time I ran a half, I ran 1:51. At that time I was only worried about being able to finish. That is not something I'm worried about anymore. The glory of completing the distance is for first-timers, IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's an accomplishment. It's just that I have loftier expectations after the training I've done over the past 10 months. Hopefully everything comes together the way I'm hoping on Sunday.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Sick: 1

Thursday - October 18

Run
  • 28m 48s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 07m 12s /Mi
Nice and smooth this morning. I barely looked at my watch, trying to gauge my speed mostly on feel. I tend to go a little too slowly when I do that, as my first mile was at 7:39. Rather than try to make up for lost time and finish with an average of 7:00, I just increased the intensity slightly to get the last 3 miles at 7:00 average. This just kind of felt like a systems check, making sure everything feels good 3 days before the race. Everything is a go as of now.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 5 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 3

Wednesday - October 17

Swimming didn't happen. I woke up with a headache and a sore back again. I'm pretty sure the headache is from too much caffeine. The back has me puzzled. It did improve after some ibuprofen and just moving around. I think I'll just take today off again and try to do a short run tomorrow morning.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Sick: 2

Tuesday - October 16

Another day off today. Legs are just a little sore, but it's just the usual post-run stiffness. Plan to swim tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Sick: 1

Monday - October 15

Run
  • 26m 58s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 06m 44s /Mi
Wet and dreary day outside today. Typical October Monday. A long day at work, followed by Voters Assembly at church, meant I was forced to the treadmill. It was actually OK, as I got to watch the MNF game. DVR is great - I can watch an entire game in about an hour and a half if I skip all the commercials and halftime. If I skip all the down time between plays, it actually cuts it down to about an hour, or even less. Anyway, I did 8.6 MPH, which is rihgt about 7-minute pace, with 1/4 mile accelerations at 10 MPH. Knees felt fine. Back feels fine. This was a comfortably intense workout, if that makes any sense. I'll still probably take tomorrow off, plan to get to the pool on Wed., then do a 3-4 mile steady pace run on Thursday. So far, so good.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 3

Sunday - October 14

Well I don't know what happened, but my back was KILLING me when I woke up this morning. Sometimes that happens if I'm crowded in bed (sometimes Kaylee gets in our bed when we're staying at Anisa's parents' house), but this was different. It felt like someone had whacked me across the back with a baseball bat. It hurt just to breath. After some ibuprofen and a soak in the hot tub, I was feeling better. Fortunately, I wasn't planning to run today. Plus it was raining all day long, so I wouldn't have been too excited to get outside anyway. Hopefully I can do 4-5 miles tomorrow and all will be good again.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 1 Sick: 3

robfornoff's Training Log

October 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Volume

Time
Distance