FRIDAY
Overcast
High 41F
Low 21F
Run
  • 1h 35m 57s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 07m 19s /Mi
What a day. I don't know how to feel about this run just yet. On the one hand, I missed my target time by about 4 minutes. To me that seems like a lot, but now that I type it, 4 minutes isn't that much. On the other hand, I set a new PR (under race conditions) by 16 minutes. That seems like a lot. I'll have to keep thinking about it. The weather was a bit warmer than I'd like (60-65), and it was a little breezy, but that is not an excuse. That may cost me, what, like 1-2 minutes. The first mile was too fast as it always is, but not by much. 6:52. I was hoping for 7 minute pace, so I backed off, and the second mile was 7:10. Perfect. Third mile was 7:16, which was a little too slow, but we did go up a hill. Mile 4 was 7:06. Cumulative at this point was 28:24. I could tell that 7-minute pace wasn't going to be realistic, so I changed to have a goal of 7:08-7:10 or so, which would put me at about 1:33, which is what I predicted in registration. I don't remember all my splits exactly, but they went something like this: Mile 5 - 7:16 (35:40) 6 - 7:20 (43:00) 7 - 7:15 (50:15) 8 - 7:22 (57:37) 9 - 7:23 (1:05:00) 10 - 7:30 (1:12:30) 11 - 7:19 (1:19:49) 12 - 7:49 (1:27:38) (big hill) 13 - 7:37 (1:35:15) final time 1:35:57 I could tell I was slowing badly at about mile 8. I was just hanging on as best as I could from there. I really hit the wall at about mile 11. Obviously, I am a little disappointed that I couldn't keep up 7-minute pace, but I'm OK. Overall, it was a good run, and I don't think I could have done much better (didn't leave anything on the table). Besides, if I hit all my goals now, I'd have nothing to shoot for next time! 16/118 AG 78/878 men 92/2461 overall

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 1 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 5
Looking good, Billy Ray!...Feeling good, Lewis! I went downtown to get my "packet" for the half for tomorrow. Registration was at the Convention Center, same as for the Hy-Vee Tri. There was a sports & fitness expo going on, which I think mostly consisted of local shops with stands selling shoes, gear, food, etc. Registration was very easy - no lines, no pre-race meetings like for Hy-Vee. Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind the pre-race stuff back in June, considering it was the first time any of us had done a tri. But this time it was very smooth. I could have been in and out in literally two minutes if I wanted. One of the booths was for Hy-Vee, so I stopped by. If you fill out a survey, you get your choice of a hat or t-shirt. The hat was the same one we got for competing. So I got the shirt. It's the black shirt with the "swim bike run" Hy-Vee logo. I also asked about the USAT membership, to see if there was a discount. The guys didn't know, but they said they'd call me when they find out. I think I'll get up around 6:15 or 6:30 tomorrow, have a powerbar and some gatorade and head out. I'm parking at the hospital ramp, so I won't have to worry about finding a spot. It's about 3/4 of a mile to the start (8AM), so I'll just use that as my warmup.

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Sick: 1
Rest day. I don't plan to run again until Sunday morning. I want my legs to be as fresh as possible. I don't have much concern from a cardio standpoint, it's more of the leg strength and endurance that worries me. Ideally, I would have done more long runs in the 10-15 mile range to truly prepare to race 13 miles. But seeing as how I only decided about 2 months ago to increase my endurance to train for this, I didn't get that done. The first time I ran a half, I ran 1:51. At that time I was only worried about being able to finish. That is not something I'm worried about anymore. The glory of completing the distance is for first-timers, IMO. Don't get me wrong, it's an accomplishment. It's just that I have loftier expectations after the training I've done over the past 10 months. Hopefully everything comes together the way I'm hoping on Sunday.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Sick: 1
Run
  • 28m 48s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 07m 12s /Mi
Nice and smooth this morning. I barely looked at my watch, trying to gauge my speed mostly on feel. I tend to go a little too slowly when I do that, as my first mile was at 7:39. Rather than try to make up for lost time and finish with an average of 7:00, I just increased the intensity slightly to get the last 3 miles at 7:00 average. This just kind of felt like a systems check, making sure everything feels good 3 days before the race. Everything is a go as of now.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 5 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 3
Swimming didn't happen. I woke up with a headache and a sore back again. I'm pretty sure the headache is from too much caffeine. The back has me puzzled. It did improve after some ibuprofen and just moving around. I think I'll just take today off again and try to do a short run tomorrow morning.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Sick: 2
Another day off today. Legs are just a little sore, but it's just the usual post-run stiffness. Plan to swim tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Sick: 1
Run
  • 26m 58s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 06m 44s /Mi
Wet and dreary day outside today. Typical October Monday. A long day at work, followed by Voters Assembly at church, meant I was forced to the treadmill. It was actually OK, as I got to watch the MNF game. DVR is great - I can watch an entire game in about an hour and a half if I skip all the commercials and halftime. If I skip all the down time between plays, it actually cuts it down to about an hour, or even less. Anyway, I did 8.6 MPH, which is rihgt about 7-minute pace, with 1/4 mile accelerations at 10 MPH. Knees felt fine. Back feels fine. This was a comfortably intense workout, if that makes any sense. I'll still probably take tomorrow off, plan to get to the pool on Wed., then do a 3-4 mile steady pace run on Thursday. So far, so good.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 3

robfornoff's Training Log

October 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Time
Distance
  • June's totals
  • May's totals