SUNDAY
Overcast
High 24F
Low 15F
Bike
  • 52m 30s
  • 16.06 miles
  • 18.35 Mi/hr

This was about the least enjoyable ride I've had since the first one where I didn't have bike shorts or a usable seat.

I really don't mind riding in the wind - it creates adversity, something to overcome. I kept telling myself that today was going to be about perseverence. Well, it was actually more about safety. The wind was gusting so hard it was difficult to keep the bike pointed straight. I was often getting blown into the car lanes, and this was at 3:00, so heavy traffic. We're talking base 25 MPH wind with gusts to 35. Really not bike-friendly.

On top of that, I had a gear problem and my knee started hurting again. So I had to turn in early.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 1h 00m

Mowed the lawn prior to the bike ride.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 5 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 1
Maybe this is turning into my "transition" time. The schedule looked conducive to getting a swim in, but for some reason, it always seems that I'm the guy who gets whatever late add-on appointments that happen throughout the day. Nevertheless, I still would have had time to get to the pool after work if it wasn't for halloween. We were set to get started at 6:00, so that didn't leave enough time for a trip to the gym. I'll never understand the reasoning behind Des Moines doing trick-or-treating the night before halloween. But the girls had a good time, and that's more important anyway.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Sick: 1
Work was too busy, so no swim today. Actually I could have gone right after work, but I lost my goggles, so I need to buy a new pair. I don't know what I did with them. I probably left them in the locker room. It's OK, I needed to get a new pair - they were getting scratched and were leaking pretty bad. I'll try to get back on the wagon tomorrow. I still want to avoid running for at least another week. Swim tomorrow, bike Wednesday. Maybe I could do 2-3 miles on the treadmill tonight durning MNF...

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Sick: 1
One more day off. I hope to begin getting back into the swing on Monday with a swim either at lunch or after work.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Sick: 1
Day off again today as I continue to recover from the half marathon. I THINK I need to take some time off, but I WANT to begin running again. It's a challenge to force myself to refrain, but I will do what I must.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Sick: 1
Bike
  • 41m 54s
  • 14.60 miles
  • 20.91 Mi/hr

I got off work a little early today, so I had enough time to get in a "test the legs out" ride. I wasn't trying to push too hard the first time back in 2-3 weeks.

Wearing cold weather gear (and of course working out in cold weather) is going to lead to slower speeds. That much is inevitable, so I just need to accept that. I don't think I'll be pushing a 22 MPH average anytime soon.

Really though, that doesn't matter. What matters is the effort. Once the weather warms up, and we can shed layers, the speed will return. Right now it's more about logging the miles and putting in a strong effort.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 3
I almost had an opportunity to get a bike ride in after work today, but it didn't quite come together. I think the day off will serve me well, again. I can tell my body is thanking me for the respite. I might have the chance to get a ride in tomorrow if things break right. Otherwise I'll try this weekend, and maybe do a little 3 mile run to test my legs out again.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 3 Sick: 1

robfornoff's Training Log

October 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Time
Distance
  • June's totals