The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Sunny High 79FLow 62F
  • Temp: 60F
  • Hum: 96%
  • W: 4mph W
WEDNESDAY
Light rain shower
High 85F
Low 71F
THURSDAY
Sunny
High 89F
Low 61F
FRIDAY
Partly Cloudy
High 69F
Low 52F
SATURDAY
Sunny
High 73F
Low 48F

Wednesday - August 22

Bike
  • 1h 09m 14s
  • 24.80 miles
  • 21.49 Mi/hr

Real good workout on the bike today. I was just a few seconds off my PR for this distance, plus I felt like it was a good workout. Decent temperature, but of course very humid.

I had a couple small equipment failures on my bike again, but nothing major. First, my seat bag is not staying velcroed under the seat very well. I'll have to figure something out there. Second, one of my aero bars was loose and actually fell off a few times! Fortunately, the shifters and cables are hooked to the bars, so it didn't fall to the ground. I was able to jam it back in for the remainder of the ride. It should be an easy fix - just loosen a screw, reset the bar, and retighten. But it was a little shocking to see my bar nearly fall off the bike.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 1h 15m

Here is how I can document the mowing. I actually was running at the end as it started raining when I was almost done. Actually, it's probably good to do this after riding this morning as a recovery exercise.

Late addendum: I just wanted to point out that I got on the scale today and it read 179. I haven't seen that 7 in YEARS - probably high school. I think 180 is right about where I want to be; now I just need to adjust the distribution of that weight into a little better muscle/fat ratio.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5

Tuesday - August 21

Run
  • 27m 37s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 06m 54s /Mi
Not a bad run for the treadmill. I'm starting to feel like Doug with the outdoor runs being easier than the indoor ones. I mean, I still had a pretty good pace today, but man, is it boring. At least I could put the Cubs game on while I was running. I had to run inside today because the heat is totally beating me down. I just can't stand the 90 degrees and 90% humidity anymore. It's supposed to cool down this weekend again, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Even if it does, it's likely to warm up again shortly afterwards. The stress meter was through the roof today. I am so tired of the crap at work lately. I won't get into details, but suffice to say I'm looking forward to the 5-day weekend. I'm hoping to ride tomorrow morning before my 1. dentist appointment, 2. oil change, 3. meeting with insurance guy, and 4. lawn mowing. Of course if it rains, the ride and #4 above are out. Then I'll run on Thursday before taking off for the Dells. I'll then run again Friday morning, take Saturday off, and run again on Sunday. At least that's the plan. I wonder if "other activities" will get in the way. Maybe I can get Chad to go run with me.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 1 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

Monday - August 20

Run
  • 33m 38s
  • 4.50 miles
  • 07m 28s /Mi
Nice easy run tonight before the rain began. I'm hoping to do 2 short runs like this per week, and 2 longer runs (6-8 miles) per week for now. Or maybe even mix in some speed work once a week in place of one of these.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 1 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

Sunday - August 19

Day off today - not because I'm recovering from yesterday, because it actually wasn't any more of a workout that most of my usual training days. Rather, it was storming again this morning up until about noon, and then I didn't really feel like running after we had already had lunch. The Cubs are playing on Sunday Night Baseball now, so I had to watch that. Basically, I'm just being lazy. Now that my first triathlon season is finished, I think I'm going to shift my training to focus more on running. I think I'm going to do a 10K on Sep. 22 here in Ankeny - it starts at 7 AM at the YMCA, which is just a mile from my house. If I'm lucky, I'll be back home in time for breakfast. I also think I'll start to train for longer distances so I can do the Des Moines half marathon on Oct. 21. I'd like to train for a marathon someday, but I'm not really interested in doing that just yet. I think I'll do a schedule that goes run-run-off-swim-run-run-bike over the course of an average week. As long as it's nice out in the fall, I'll keep biking and running outside. I think biking and swimming once a week will allow me to at least maintain my fitness in those sports, although probably not continue to build and improve. Running 4 times a week should definitely improve my running fitness to help me perform well in these fall road races. Once the road races are finished, I plan to get back in the pool at least twice a week. The Bell Center will be open in the early morning once Drake starts classes, so that will give me more of opportunity to swim. Winter biking will be back on the exercise bike. I'll think about getting a trainer at some point too, so I can do that at home. Running in the winter = treadmill = sucks. I'll still try to get on twice a week. If the schedule of the spring of '08 is anything like the spring of '07, I might end up with more of a 3-1.5-1.5 schedule like I did then. I would be able to do more swim-bike bricks on Wednesdays in the winter/spring when I won't need to worry about mowing. I also want to do more strength training. I started in on it in July, but after the bike crash, my wrists have been too sore to do any more lifting. I don't have weights at home, so other than pushups and situps, the lifting will also have to be at the Bell Center. I figure I can lift 3-4 times a week after my regular workouts. Anyway, this is my plan for the "offseason." I'm sure it'll change multiple times.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Sick: 2

Saturday - August 18

Bike
  • 29m 02s
  • 10.46 miles
  • 21.62 Mi/hr

The bike segment was awesome. My bike served me very well. I probably passed 4-5 people on the first mile alone. I kind of felt bad for the guys on the mountain bikes. I knew exactly how they felt when I went by. My biggest concern was the wet roads. I was extra cautious on all the turns, as I was not interested in dumping my bike.

The bike was even longer than I thought it would be. I kept picking guys off one by one throughout the whole ride. Only one rider passed me. Wind was a factor: head wind on the way out kept my average speed at 20.0 MPH.

When I got to the turnaround, I was counting how many riders were ahead of me. The first guy went by when I was at 4.5 miles, so he was only roughly 1.5 miles ahead of me. I had myself in 10th place at the halfway point.

I continued to sneak past a few more guys on the way back. Riding with the wind was obviously much easier. I must have averaged over 23 MPH on the way back because my overall average was 21.6. I think I was in 7th place overall when I finished the bike.

T2 was weird. I was able to get my feet out of my shoes to speed up the transition. I had an excellent transition spot, so that helped, too. I took off my helmet, sunglasses, and socks, and off I went.

I forgot only one thing: goggles. I realized this about halfway to the pool. Now, if this was a normal length swim, I definitely would have gone back for them. But with only 160m in the pool water, I figured I would just fight through it without them. Remember from yesterday: the transition was moved over by a block, which meant we had to run that far to the pool. I'm estimating my T2 at 1:15 because of this. I think that move of the transition zone cost everyone about half a minute.

Run
  • 19m 33s
  • 3.00 miles
  • 06m 31s /Mi

Pre-race: I got up at 6 in the middle of a thunderstorm. Lightning was crashing all around, and I thought there was no way this tri was actually going to happen. I checked the radar online, and it looked like the storm would pass soon, so Tony and I went down to register.

The lightning persisted up to the starting time of 7:30, so they pushed back the start to 8. The roads were very wet, and there was still a little drizzle, but not too bad. The good news is that the temperature was like 58, so that was perfect.

The run felt really good. I pushed myself a bit, but not too much, as I wanted to save my legs for the bike.

After settling into a pace group, I was only passed by 2 guys, one of which I got back later in the race. I probably got 4-5 other guys on the last mile, too.

I finished the run at 19:33, and there were probably 20-25 people ahead of me at that point. My T1 was pretty good: 1:14. I had a hard time getting my right foot clipped into the pedal, but once I did I was off and flying.

Swim
  • 03m 04s
  • 174.98 yards
  • 01m 45s /100 yards

Remember to read this Run, Bike, Swim, as this was a reverse-order tri.

Estimated time, because I forgot to check my watch before getting in the pool.

I was struggling without my goggles. Chalk this up to inexperience of doing a reverse-order triathlon.

I still think I did fairly well, considering the naked eyes. There was a 16 (or so) year old kid who passed me in the pool, which I believe wouldn't have happened if I would have been able to put my head in the water.

Final overall time: 54:08.

Overall commentary: All in all, this was a great experience. I was nervous about the wet roads for the ride, but they didn't factor in too much. There weren't that many 90 degree turns (4, plus the turnaround), and when I did get to one, I just slowed way down, and took a wide angle. I was also nervous at the start, I think just due to the fact that this is just my 3rd tri, and the 2nd one didn't go well (REMEMBER PAPILLION). All the jitters went away once the race began. I knew I could do well at this level of competition. When I started going by people on the bike, I knew a top ten was possible. Unofficially, I think I got 8th place overall, and I won my age division (30-34). Interestingly, there were two age group that were very competitive: 25-29, and 40-44. I thought of it as the young guns, and the lifers. For once, I was actually very happy to be over 30 - if I was 2 years younger, I wouldn't have even been top 3! I think this will be my last tri of the year. I was hoping to end on a good note. If things didn't go well here, I was considering doing Portage next weekend. But after this, I can put to rest the Papillion debacle and move on. Plus, I'm looking forward to next weekend being fun and relaxing. I won't have to worry about hauling my bike all the way up there and back. I won't have to worry about getting back in time for the auction (Saturday, 11 AM). And there is talk of touch football or golf before and/or after the auction. I hope this doesn't sound too self-congratulatory. I'm just very excited right now and happy that this had a good ending. A big thanks goes out to Anisa's parents for letting us use their house as a staging area. And of course, a very big thank you to Anisa and the girls for supporting me as I have started out on the new endeavor in my life. And thanks to Doug, Tyler, and Chad for motivating me throughout the year. I'll keep working out and trying to improve. I hope you do the same.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5
  • RACE DAY: Dog Days Triathlon

Friday - August 17

Bike
  • 14m
  • 3.00 miles
  • 12.86 Mi/hr
Rode from the Hansens' house to the pool and back. Also went to the local grocery store to get some cash and a bottle of Gatorade. It looks like the transition area has been moved a block north of the pool. Becuase the run is a loop, that segment won't be affected at all. The bike is an out and back, away from the direction of the movement of the transition area, so the ride may have been lengthened by .10-.15 miles or so. No big deal. The part that is not going to be fun is after the bike ride, we'll have to run a block to the pool in our barefeet. I'm not too excited about that. Of course, I had another problem with my bike tonight. The front derailleur was rubbing on the teeth of the crank, causing a grinding sound. I was able to bend it up so there was no contact, but there is no guarantee for tomorrow. I'll have to make sure to just leave the shifter on that side alone and only adjust the rear gears. Time to get to bed now. We'll be getting up at around 6 to head over to the registration at 6:30. I hope the rain holds off until at least 8:30 or so.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 5 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 2

Thursday - August 16

Bike
  • 42m 16s
  • 15.00 miles
  • 21.29 Mi/hr
Nice, easy ride through the bug soup this morning. I really just wanted to get in the saddle for a few miles and make sure I didn't forget how to ride. GI system feels fine so far. With Belmond just 2 days away, I will probably take the rest of today and tomorrow off from workouts. I may ride the run course tomorrow evening just to see it once again before race day. That reminds me - I don't know if I mentioned this last weekend, but the street that goes past the pool (basically the entrance/exit for the transition area) is completely torn up under construction. And it's been that way for over a month, according to the locals (Anisa's parents). I don't know if they are planning to divert the bikes in a different direction or what. I really hope they aren't going to expect us to ride through the grass around the pool to the next street over because I don't have a mountain bike. Well, I do, but I'm not using it. And I can't use it anyway, because I'm letting Tony use it. I guess this is what you get in these small tri's in small towns. It's not like this is Belmond's lifeblood, so I can't hold it against them. You should see it though - it's quite a mess.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

robfornoff's Training Log

August 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned