High 51F
Low 37F
Rest day.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Sick: 2
Bike
  • 36m 13s
  • 13.00 miles
  • 21.54 Mi/hr

First brick since the Belmond tri. It was a little windy, but not too bad. Temp was low 60's.

Bike went pretty well. I was trying to go fairly hard. Now stop me if you've heard this before, but the seat was a little uncomfortable today. I have to try the comfy seat again. I need to figure something out because I'm starting to get to the point of not wanting to even take the bike out because of the seat. Prediction?.....Pain.

Run
  • 19m 18s
  • 3.00 miles
  • 06m 26s /Mi

The run was great. I didn't hurry through a transition, so I'm sure that helped me recover a bit. I was probably off the bike for 3-4 minutes before starting the run. Splits on the run were 6:32, 6:26, and 6:20. Don't get too excited about the negative splits. They're mostly a product of 1. brick legs for the first quarter mile, and 2. the big hill I go up on the last quarter of the first mile (and therefore down the first quarter of the last mile). This was actually a very hilly route for a 3 mile course.

I'm pleased with the 19:18 for the 3 miles as part of a brick. I'm thinking with a day off on Friday, and a proper warmup, (and no 36-minute bike ride right before) I might actually be able to do the 5K in 19:00 on Saturday.

Sport #1
  • BMX Freestyle
  • 30m

Just kidding. I didn't do any "freestyle" today. I did take out the mountain bike to verify mile markers and other distances on today's route. Today's run was basically half of the 5.6 mile run I sometimes do, so I also continued down to the intersection and made a note of where the turnaround would be for doing a 10K (just a few extra blocks). Nice, easy, comfortable ride for about 6.5 miles total.

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 1h 15m

Just kidding. I didn't do any "freestyle" today. I did take out the mountain bike to verify mile markers and other distances on today's route. Today's run was basically half of the 5.6 mile run I sometimes do, so I also continued down to the intersection and made a note of where the turnaround would be for doing a 10K (just a few extra blocks). Nice, easy, comfortable ride for about 6.5 miles total.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 1 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5
Swim
  • 30m
  • 1640.42 yards
  • 01m 50s /100 yards
Considering this was my first swim in almost 3 weeks, I'm pretty happy with the results. It seems we are all getting reacquainted with the water this week. I had been putting off renewing my pass at the Bell Center for the past 2 weeks. I finally got that done. Spouse membership for 1 year = 55 bucks. Can't beat that. There were a bunch of idiots from TC or Phi Delt or somewhere practicing for their Anchorsplash synchronized swim. It was a little nostalgic to see them doing their routine. I intentionally picked the lane closest to them so there would be more waves to simulate an OWS. Every so often, they would all jump in at the same time, creating some huge chop. I even had to sight a few times to make sure I wasn't going to crash into any of them. I need to work on my swim endurance. My aerobic endurance was fine, but I could tell my arms were out of shape. My form was becoming very erratic at the end. And I'm pretty sore in the shoulders now. So I was talking with Jeremy Haack on Sunday - I think he graduated with you guys in '99, if you remember him from Drake. He ran track and CC there with Matt Gabrielson and Jason Lehmkuhle and those guys. The reason I know him is because he got married to Sally Hanson (6'4", friend of Anisa), and she is an assitant pharmacy professor at Drake, like Anisa. Anyway, we sometimes talk about the triathlons and running. I knew that he was an outstanding runner, so I was asking him what his best times were for various distances. I told him that I've been working toward getting down to 40 minutes for the 10K. I asked him what his best 10K was, knowing he'd be somewhere in the 30's. I was expecting the answer to be 36 or 37 something. Imagine my amazement when he said thirty......TWO! I just thought, holy crap, that's barely over 5-minute pace. He said his best mile time was 4:08. I told him I train at around 7-minute pace. So he said he'd run with me if I wanted to because that's the pace he usually runs for training. That'd be cool, but I'm a little nervous to run with someone that much faster. Granted, he's not in 32-minute 10K pace, but I'm sure he could still go 37 or so. I think he'd be good at tri's. Maybe I'll try to talk him into them.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 4
Run
  • 29m 16s
  • 4.10 miles
  • 07m 08s /Mi
This was supposed to be an easy jog around the neighborhood tonight. And it was for the first 3.1 miles. When I got a mile from my house, I decided to turn it up and ran the last mile in 6:16. I have a hard time resisting the urge to go faster when I feel like I can. I'm planning to get up early tomorrow to ride. We'll see how that goes.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3
Run
  • 1h 13m 47s
  • 10.00 miles
  • 07m 23s /Mi
Stretching out the miles again today. I can't ask for anything better from the weather - it was actually a little chilly when I started at 6:15 (45), but once the sun started to rise it warmed up to around 50 or so by the end. I did 3 laps on my 3.2 mile course that I run around the neighborhood. I thought this would be helpful so I could check some splits. I've run it enough that I know about where each mile ends, and even 10ths of a mile (roughly), so here are my splits: 1st lap - 23:47 2nd lap - 24:13 3rd lap - 23:10 last 0.4 - 2:37 By mile: 1 - 7:11 2 - 7:31 3 - 7:36 4 - 7:23 5 - 7:32 6 - 7:28 7 - 7:47 8 - 7:26 9 - 7:02 10 - 6:49 It was a pretty steady effort all the way through. The variance in the first 8 miles is just due to either going up or down the hills on the route. I did kick it up a notch for the last mile and a half, so that's why the last 2 splits are quicker. I felt like I had plenty left in the tank when I was done. I think I'm ready for the 1/2 marathon right now. I will continue to train for the next month to optimize my performance, but I know I could have continued today's run for another 3.1 if the race was today.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5
I had to work today, so this worked out well as a rest day for the long run scheduled for tomorrow morning.

• Health data: Sleep: 1 Stress: 2 Soreness: 3 Sick: 2
Run
  • 25m 27s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 06m 22s /Mi
Daddy night at our house, as Anisa was at her girls' night out. This means run on the treadmill, or don't run. So, with the trend of the week, I ran hard on the treadmill. I started out at 9 MPH, and gradually worked my way up - 9.3, 9.5, 9.8, 10. Splits were 6:32, 6:27, 6:19, 6:09. My time at 5K was 19:55. But if I work backward for the last 5K, it was 19:34. I mention the 5K times because I'm considering doing the Beaverfest 5K next weekend instead of the Ankeny 10K. The Beaverfest Run is kind of a big deal (usually > 500 runners), while the 10K in Ankeny is usually only 30-40. There is also a 5K in Ankeny, which draws maybe 40-50 (the two runs in Ankeny are at the same time). I'm thinking I could do 19:30 with a warmup and competition, and only going 3.1 instead of 4 miles, but adding some time for the more difficult road running vs. treadmill. That would have been good for 24th place out of 522 last year.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 1 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5

robfornoff's Training Log

September 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Time
Distance
Time
  • June's totals
  • May's totals