The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Sunny High 83FLow 63F
  • Temp: 77F
  • Hum: 58%
  • W: 12mph SSE
FRIDAY
Sunny
High 91F
Low 73F
SATURDAY
Sunny
High 83F
Low 66F
SUNDAY
Sunny
High 79F
Low 57F
MONDAY
Partly Cloudy
High 80F
Low 54F

Tuesday - September 25

Swim
  • 25m
  • 1312.34 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards
So there are 6 lanes in the Bell Center pool, right? Three of the lanes were roped off for lap swimming, the other 3 are usually just for general swimming, or sometimes people doing rehab. How were the lanes being used today? Lane 1 - some woman holding the diving platform doing some kick drill Lane 2 - a guy swimming laps Lane 3 - two women walking the shallow end Lanes 4-6 - two women's basketball players doing some water training or rehab Some obvious solutions here: Option 1 - have the two walkers move to lane 1, since they didn't need the deep end Option 2 - move the two walkers to the non-roped lanes, since they didn't need the deep end Option 3 - have the two rehabbers move over to lanes 5-6 (or really just lane 6) to do their (stationary) drills Did any of this happen? Of course not. So I decided to swim lane 4 and try to get past the flounders. They saw what I was doing, and made no attempt to get out of my way. A few times I stopped short and just turned around without getting to the wall. A few times I weaved between them to get to the wall in lane 5. Eventually I got fed up and quit. All I really needed was about 4 feet right next to the rope. I'm sure they would have moved over if it was just them, but their idiot coach, complete with whistle, was not of a mind to really give a crap about anyone else. College coaches can really be idiots ("Come after me! I'm 40!" or "It's Division 1 football!"). The real solution is that if sports teams want to do pool work, they should do it at a time separate from the few hours out of the day that the rest of us can use the pool. But we all know that will never happen. I guess this is the price you pay when you get a membership at a gym at a university. I try to console myself with the fact that I didn't have to pay very much for my membership, but even if Anisa didn't work there and I paid full price, I'd still get the same treatment. OK, that's the end of the rant. Hopefully I'll make up for this with a good workout tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 2

Monday - September 24

Rough day today. My neck and back were sore all day - possibly from sleeping wrong, possibly from the race on Saturday. I'll take today off and see how I feel tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 1 Stress: 2 Soreness: 1 Sick: 1

Sunday - September 23

Run
  • 42m 30s
  • 5.63 miles
  • 07m 33s /Mi
Easy recovery run today. Splits were 21:30 and 21:00. I was almost going to skip this workout because my right knee felt a little gimpy last night, but it felt fine this morning.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

Saturday - September 22

Run
  • 19m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 12s /Mi
Well, I didn't quite get 19, but I was pretty close. The above time is unofficial. I'll update it with the official time when it is posted at beaverdash.org. I was planning to go out for the first mile at 6:00-6:05. Then if I could get to the second mile by 12:10, I thought I could probably cover the last 1.1 in 6:50 to get home in 19. The first mile felt quick but controlled. I was shocked to hear the guy bark out 5:52...5:54! I knew that was faster than I wanted to be, but remembering yesterday's research, I thought maybe that was where I should be after all. The second mile started to hurt when I got to about 8 minutes. I hit the split for 2 miles at 12:14, or 6:20 for the second mile. I didn't hear my third mile time because by then I was in too much pain. Judging by my finishing time, it must have been around 6:20 again, with the last .1 going in 40 seconds. I was a little sorry to get passed by about 3-4 guys in the last 30 yards or so. But they were all guys I had just passed at about the 3 mile mark, so it evens out. With today's result, I am left to wonder what would have happened if I had run the 10K instead. Using the running calculators I've found on the internet, this time would translate to something right at 40 minutes for a 10K. I don't know how accurate those are, but I'm guessing they're pretty close. This is something to ponder, but I can't worry about it. I consciously chose to do the 5K instead. I'll just know exactly what my goal will be when I do get around to running a 10K. All in all, I'm pretty happy with today's result. I don't think I'm quite ready to break 19, as I put in about as good an effort as I could do today. I know I'll get there soon, and next year, I'll be trying to break 18. Update: Results are posted. 29th place overall, out of a total of 760 finishers. 27/329 men; 11/106 in age group (30-39). It looks like 2 of the 3 guys that passed me at the end were in my AG. The guy right behind me was also in my AG, but I had an advantage over him. I wasn't pushing a stroller! That is an unbelievable time considering he pushed a stroller for 5K.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 1 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5

Friday - September 21

Run
  • 12m 43s
  • 2.00 miles
  • 06m 22s /Mi

Well, you know me, I can't just run easy. I ran a hard mile in 5:50. Then I felt like I really shut it down for the second mile, but that was still 6:53. I'm hoping to go out at about 6:10 pace to start off tomorrow. It's tough to know just how hard that is.

I found a very interesting article on 5K pacing. Check it out here: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-259-11738-0,0...

and here: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-259-11404-0,0...

It's a very small sample size, and female model, but still interesting. Basically, what it's telling me is if I want to run my best 5K time, I shouldn't try to hit the first mile at 6:10 if I think I could maintain that pace. Rather I should start out at 5:47 or so (6% faster) and just try to hang on. In other words, do the first mile exactly like I did today, and then just try to keep it going. I don't know if that sounds right, but it's something to think about. Maybe I'll shoot for 6:00 pace for the first mile.

I think I'm going to take today off as well. I might go for a light jog this evening, but it's supposed to be hot today, so we'll see. I might just do 1-2 miles on the treadmill, nice and easy, this evening.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

Thursday - September 20

Rest day.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Sick: 2

Wednesday - September 19

Bike
  • 36m 13s
  • 13.00 miles
  • 21.54 Mi/hr

First brick since the Belmond tri. It was a little windy, but not too bad. Temp was low 60's.

Bike went pretty well. I was trying to go fairly hard. Now stop me if you've heard this before, but the seat was a little uncomfortable today. I have to try the comfy seat again. I need to figure something out because I'm starting to get to the point of not wanting to even take the bike out because of the seat. Prediction?.....Pain.

Run
  • 19m 18s
  • 3.00 miles
  • 06m 26s /Mi

The run was great. I didn't hurry through a transition, so I'm sure that helped me recover a bit. I was probably off the bike for 3-4 minutes before starting the run. Splits on the run were 6:32, 6:26, and 6:20. Don't get too excited about the negative splits. They're mostly a product of 1. brick legs for the first quarter mile, and 2. the big hill I go up on the last quarter of the first mile (and therefore down the first quarter of the last mile). This was actually a very hilly route for a 3 mile course.

I'm pleased with the 19:18 for the 3 miles as part of a brick. I'm thinking with a day off on Friday, and a proper warmup, (and no 36-minute bike ride right before) I might actually be able to do the 5K in 19:00 on Saturday.

Sport #1
  • BMX Freestyle
  • 30m

Just kidding. I didn't do any "freestyle" today. I did take out the mountain bike to verify mile markers and other distances on today's route. Today's run was basically half of the 5.6 mile run I sometimes do, so I also continued down to the intersection and made a note of where the turnaround would be for doing a 10K (just a few extra blocks). Nice, easy, comfortable ride for about 6.5 miles total.

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 1h 15m

Just kidding. I didn't do any "freestyle" today. I did take out the mountain bike to verify mile markers and other distances on today's route. Today's run was basically half of the 5.6 mile run I sometimes do, so I also continued down to the intersection and made a note of where the turnaround would be for doing a 10K (just a few extra blocks). Nice, easy, comfortable ride for about 6.5 miles total.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 1 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5

robfornoff's Training Log

September 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned

Time