The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Sunny High 80FLow 53F
  • Temp: 62F
  • Hum: 93%
  • W: 6mph NW
WEDNESDAY
Sunny
High 85F
Low 73F
THURSDAY
Thundery outbreaks in nearby
High 88F
Low 71F
FRIDAY
Light rain shower
High 71F
Low 54F
SATURDAY
Sunny
High 72F
Low 49F

Friday - September 28

Run
  • 41m 58s
  • 6.20 miles
  • 06m 46s /Mi

New PR by 40 seconds. I really wasn't running too hard until the last mile, when I was trying to get home in under 42. It's starting to get a little chilly for the morning runs - 45 degrees (and dark) at 6:30 AM.

Splits were 21:09 and 20:49.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 30m

Went for a walk with the family in the evening.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 5

Thursday - September 27

Recovery day. I was going to do a light run tonight, but Anisa isn't getting home until late, so I'll just take the day off. I'm planning on 5-6 miles in the morning, and then maybe 8 on Saturday. Speedwork Sunday? Or possibly I'll do a bike ride one of these days. I don't want to get too far out on that discipline.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Sick: 1

Wednesday - September 26

Run
  • 1h 38m 12s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 07m 30s /Mi
This is the first time I've covered this distance since Grandma's in '01. I basically ran my 10K route twice, plus added 0.7 at the end. I did stop for about a minute after the first out and back to grab some gatorade and a gel pack. Splits: 5K - 23:37 10K - 47:28 (23:51) 15K - 1:10:52 (23:24) 20K - 1:33:36 (22:44) 21K - 1:38:12 (4:36) This is one of the best runs I've ever had. Temp was 55-60 while running, very light breeze. It was good to take the last 2 days off from running, as my legs felt energized for today's run. I felt strong for the first 11 miles or so, but then the last 2 were tough. I'm still building my endurance for this distance though. I think I should be able to break 1:35 for the 1/2 marathon, which is now less than a month away. I need to do some more endurance and LT training these last few weeks.

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Stress: 5 Soreness: 5 Fatigue: 1 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 5

Tuesday - September 25

Swim
  • 25m
  • 1312.34 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards
So there are 6 lanes in the Bell Center pool, right? Three of the lanes were roped off for lap swimming, the other 3 are usually just for general swimming, or sometimes people doing rehab. How were the lanes being used today? Lane 1 - some woman holding the diving platform doing some kick drill Lane 2 - a guy swimming laps Lane 3 - two women walking the shallow end Lanes 4-6 - two women's basketball players doing some water training or rehab Some obvious solutions here: Option 1 - have the two walkers move to lane 1, since they didn't need the deep end Option 2 - move the two walkers to the non-roped lanes, since they didn't need the deep end Option 3 - have the two rehabbers move over to lanes 5-6 (or really just lane 6) to do their (stationary) drills Did any of this happen? Of course not. So I decided to swim lane 4 and try to get past the flounders. They saw what I was doing, and made no attempt to get out of my way. A few times I stopped short and just turned around without getting to the wall. A few times I weaved between them to get to the wall in lane 5. Eventually I got fed up and quit. All I really needed was about 4 feet right next to the rope. I'm sure they would have moved over if it was just them, but their idiot coach, complete with whistle, was not of a mind to really give a crap about anyone else. College coaches can really be idiots ("Come after me! I'm 40!" or "It's Division 1 football!"). The real solution is that if sports teams want to do pool work, they should do it at a time separate from the few hours out of the day that the rest of us can use the pool. But we all know that will never happen. I guess this is the price you pay when you get a membership at a gym at a university. I try to console myself with the fact that I didn't have to pay very much for my membership, but even if Anisa didn't work there and I paid full price, I'd still get the same treatment. OK, that's the end of the rant. Hopefully I'll make up for this with a good workout tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 1 Overall Workout: 2

Monday - September 24

Rough day today. My neck and back were sore all day - possibly from sleeping wrong, possibly from the race on Saturday. I'll take today off and see how I feel tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 1 Stress: 2 Soreness: 1 Sick: 1

Sunday - September 23

Run
  • 42m 30s
  • 5.63 miles
  • 07m 33s /Mi
Easy recovery run today. Splits were 21:30 and 21:00. I was almost going to skip this workout because my right knee felt a little gimpy last night, but it felt fine this morning.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

Saturday - September 22

Run
  • 19m 15s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 12s /Mi
Well, I didn't quite get 19, but I was pretty close. The above time is unofficial. I'll update it with the official time when it is posted at beaverdash.org. I was planning to go out for the first mile at 6:00-6:05. Then if I could get to the second mile by 12:10, I thought I could probably cover the last 1.1 in 6:50 to get home in 19. The first mile felt quick but controlled. I was shocked to hear the guy bark out 5:52...5:54! I knew that was faster than I wanted to be, but remembering yesterday's research, I thought maybe that was where I should be after all. The second mile started to hurt when I got to about 8 minutes. I hit the split for 2 miles at 12:14, or 6:20 for the second mile. I didn't hear my third mile time because by then I was in too much pain. Judging by my finishing time, it must have been around 6:20 again, with the last .1 going in 40 seconds. I was a little sorry to get passed by about 3-4 guys in the last 30 yards or so. But they were all guys I had just passed at about the 3 mile mark, so it evens out. With today's result, I am left to wonder what would have happened if I had run the 10K instead. Using the running calculators I've found on the internet, this time would translate to something right at 40 minutes for a 10K. I don't know how accurate those are, but I'm guessing they're pretty close. This is something to ponder, but I can't worry about it. I consciously chose to do the 5K instead. I'll just know exactly what my goal will be when I do get around to running a 10K. All in all, I'm pretty happy with today's result. I don't think I'm quite ready to break 19, as I put in about as good an effort as I could do today. I know I'll get there soon, and next year, I'll be trying to break 18. Update: Results are posted. 29th place overall, out of a total of 760 finishers. 27/329 men; 11/106 in age group (30-39). It looks like 2 of the 3 guys that passed me at the end were in my AG. The guy right behind me was also in my AG, but I had an advantage over him. I wasn't pushing a stroller! That is an unbelievable time considering he pushed a stroller for 5K.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 1 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5

robfornoff's Training Log

September 2007 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned

Time