The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Partly Cloudy High 81FLow 59F
  • Temp: 67F
  • Hum: 97%
  • W: 8mph SW
SUNDAY
Sunny
High 84F
Low 70F
MONDAY
Sunny
High 80F
Low 57F
TUESDAY
Sunny
High 80F
Low 59F
WEDNESDAY
Sunny
High 88F
Low 70F

Saturday - April 19

Run
  • 30m 17s
  • 4.35 miles
  • 06m 58s /Mi
I'm pretty happy with this run. It was a little chilly (45 degrees) and a light wind at 10 MPH, but not too bad. For this run, I had always been using 4.5 miles as the distance last year. That is what I got when I drove it. On Google Maps it's 4.32, on the BT route tracker, it's 4.4. According to my GPS watch, it's 4.25. I trust the GPS the most, but I wonder if it keeps a tight watch on all the turns. What I mean is if you run up to a corner and make a turn, does it realize you went all the way to the corner, or does it think you cut across the grass? Does it spot your location continually, or does it just check every few seconds? I need to investigate further. For now, I'll call this a 4.3 mile run. At 4.3 miles, it's 7:02 pace. At 4.25 miles, it's 7:08 pace. at 4.5 miles, it's 6:44 pace. I know I wasn't running that hard. But it's funny how a small discrepency in the distance can make such a difference in the pace calculation. One thing I can say for sure about today's run - I've come a long way since last year. The tracking devices may change, but the geography doesn't. When I ran this same route last spring, I was usually in the 34-36 minute range. So I've certainly improved.

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 4

Friday - April 18

Swim
  • 38m 25s
  • 2187.23 yards
  • 26m 21s /1500 yards

I haven't given myself a 5 for a workout for a while. I thought this was as deserving as any. I was able to stay below 2:00/100m pace for the entire distance. Splits were 9:40, 9:45, 9:30, and 9:30. I only really pushed myself for the last 200m or so.

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 40m

This will probably be my last PT appt. for a while. She gave me about 15 different drills to work on (not all on the same day, necessarily), that I can do at home, so I'll keep it going on my own.

At the ortho appt., he thought my flexibility and strength was improving, and my pain seems to be lessening, so we're going to continue the current course of action. Ideally, of course, I'd take a month off, keep the PT going, then gradually work my way back into running. With my first tri 7 weeks away, that won't work, and since the pain is less, I'm OK with toughing it out for now. My running has only slipped a little. If I can make it through this season, I'll take some time in October/November to rest and recover. Unfortunately, the marathon in October might not be possible. I might be able to train for the half, but we'll see. In the meantime, I'll just keep going and hopefully things will continue to slowly get better. Something else that is interesting: my weight has gone up about 5-7 pounds in the past few months. I find it odd because I've continued to workout regularly, and my eating habits have remained the same (not great, but at least better than they were a year and a half ago). Furthermore, my waist is 2 inches smaller than it was before I started training, and really just the same as it was 6 months ago. The only thing I did differently over the past 6 months is the weight training for about 2 months, and the PT. Perhaps I've added muscle mass? I'm inching back up toward Clydesdale territory.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5

Thursday - April 17

Bike
  • 45m
  • 14.77 miles
  • 19.69 Mi/hr
Motivation to ride in the basement is weakening. It's getting really hard to workout when the weather sucks so bad. And on top of it all, my knee has been pretty sore today. PT and ortho appt's in the morning tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 2

Wednesday - April 16

Run
  • 36m 53s
  • 5.00 miles
  • 07m 23s /Mi

OK, this makes up for not working out yesterday. I got up at 6:30 to run. This is something I'm going to be doing more of now that the sun is rising earlier, and it will (hopefully) be warmer.

Huge winds today! 25-30 MPH! This was "knock you off the sidwalk" wind. Here are my splits:

7:21
7:42
7:30
7:27
6:50

It's easy to keep splits with the GPS. About half of mile 2 was directly into the wind, and I was struggling to keep above 8:30 pace.

Now if I can still get my swim done today, I'll be back on track.

Strength
  • 05m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Sit-Ups, Flat
Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 40m

Might be second to last PT appointment. More to follow later.

Well, I didn't make it to the pool today, but I finally got something done that has been needed for months now - I fixed my bike position problem (I think). I took the bike in and told them how the seat is so uncomfortable in the aero position. The 6" drop from seat to elbow pads is just too far - it puts tremendous pressure on my seat and too much weight on my arms. Plus, my knees come up so close to my chest that they flare out to the sides. The guy says, "we can fix it, but it won't be cheap." Basically my two options were to 1. get a new fork and head tube, or 2. get a new stem, handlebars and aerobars. I opted for choice two. I was thinking he meant it was going to be a ton of money, but the final bill should be $250-$300, so that's manageable. I think to solve the comfort issue, it's well worth it. Plus, you guys won't have to hear me complain about my butt hurting anymore.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 4

Tuesday - April 15

No workout today. Big turd in the punchbowl for me. I was planning to run about 6 miles today, but between work, stuff at the house, company coming over, etc., etc., etc., I didn't get any time. I'll just have to make up for it later in the week. On a lighter note, here is what last year's workout was: The much anticipated first time getting the bike on the road did not quite go according to plan. After about 2 miles, all I could think of was "Holy ****, my butt hurts." I only made one loop around the neighborhood before I had to turn in. I didn't even feel like I got a decent workout in. Next priority is a new seat!!! So since that was last year on April 15, I feel at least a little better about not having been out for a road ride yet.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 1 Soreness: 4 Sick: 2

Monday - April 14

Swim
  • 15m
  • 820.21 yards
  • 01m 50s /100 yards

There was a malfunction with the heater at the pool. The water was 89 degrees. Have you ever tried to swim laps in 90-degree water? It was extremely hard to do any sort of workout. But any workout is better than no workout.

Strength
  • 34m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Sit-Ups, Flat

Also did a more extended version of the PT exercises.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 2

Sunday - April 13

Strength
  • 25m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Sit-Ups, Flat

Did PT exercises as well.

Planned day off before I ramp things back up again tomorrow. I have to say I'm very pleased that my knee doesn't hurt AT ALL today. I mean, it still hurt when I would squat down for extended periods, such as fixing Kaylee's dress at her dance class pictures. But my knees have always been like that. I had to get up at 4:30 this morning to take Anisa to the airport for a conference she's going to in Pheonix. It's 90's there all week. My mom is here to help with the girls (or "grills" as Kaylee says). She's all about the grandma time, so I should have plenty of time to get workouts in. One last comment - I officially signed up for the Copper Creek Tri on June 8. I think it'll be a perfect tune-up/practice run for Hy-Vee. Plus, I seem to do better at the sprint distance anyway. So now I've saved 20 dollars on entry fees with my USAT membership, which after the 10 dollar deduction from last year's Hy-Vee, means that I only need one more USAT sanctioned event to recoup the total cost of a yearly membership ($39). Plus, three events gets you a national ranking. Just like back in the days of playing Command and Conquer online (early days of online gaming).

• Health data: Sleep: 1 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Sick: 2

robfornoff's Training Log

April 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30   

Volume

Time
Distance