The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Sunny High 64FLow 40F
  • Temp: 48F
  • Hum: 71%
  • W: 7mph SE
WEDNESDAY
Partly Cloudy
High 63F
Low 52F
THURSDAY
Sunny
High 71F
Low 46F
FRIDAY
Cloudy
High 71F
Low 52F
SATURDAY
Sunny
High 74F
Low 52F

Wednesday - April 23

Bike
  • 1h 23m 20s
  • 24.80 miles
  • 17.86 Mi/hr

I finally got out for my first ride of the year. A decent ride, 70 degress and windy (20-25 MPH). A smart person would have gone in the morning while there was still no wind, but I putzed around doing other things and didn't get out until 12:30.

I was just glad to get the Time In The Saddle and get the miles under me. No land speed records today with the crazy wind. But even though I didn't go too fast, this was about 16 minutes faster than my first 40K ride last season, so that's encouraging. I did a loop through the countryside for the first 10 miles. Then I stayed in town (where it was slightly less windy) and rode a couple of my running routes. The one I ran Saturday was 4.35 miles, so I'll update that. My 10K route is right on. Then I just kind of tooled around the neighborhood for the last 4 miles.

Bike goes into the shop today to get new aerobars installed. They're also going to tighten up the gearing and brakes and whatever else needs to be done. Then I'll be ready to go!

Strength
  • 19m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Sit-Ups, Flat

Also did planks, single leg squats, and stretching.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 5 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

Tuesday - April 22

Run
  • 46m 30s
  • 6.20 miles
  • 07m 30s /Mi

Absolutely fantastic night for a run - 55 degrees and calm. Moderate pace for 10K. This was 3 1/2 minutes faster than 2 weeks ago, and probably 3 minutes slower than what I could have done if I was pushing myself.

I didn't run much harder than the last time I ran this route, but I just didn't slow myself down whenever my HR bumped above 150. Besides the last 0.3 mile or so when I was trying to hit the 46:30 mark (7:30 pace), my HR was never over 155. As you can tell, I'm still getting used to this whole HR training style.

Strength
  • 10m

Pre- and post-run stretching.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

Monday - April 21

Swim
  • 40m
  • 1859.14 yards
  • -----

Mostly drill work today in the pool.

200m warmup
1000m drills
500m in 9:45 - first 450m easy, then last 50m in :45

Strength
  • 27m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Sit-Ups, Flat

Also did hamstring and IT band stretches, bridges, heel drops, hamstring curls, single leg squats, and sidesteps

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

Sunday - April 20

Bike
  • 1h 08m 40s
  • 24.80 miles
  • 21.67 Mi/hr
So...the temperature was 70 degrees, sunny skies, light breeze...perfect day for a ride, right? Well, here is how the day goes. Wake up at 6:30 for church. Church and SS from 8-10:30. Get home at 11, go to lunch at 12 with Anisa's family. Company at our house until 3:15. Leave to go to some friends' house for a dinner/party starting at 4. Return home at 7:45. Baths for the girls and get them to bed at 8:30. Workouts are secondary thoughts around here. I'll get outside for a ride someday. I'm still waiting for the aerobars to arrive so they can be installed and my bike setup fixed. There are still 2 months left to get used to the open road.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 4

Saturday - April 19

Run
  • 30m 17s
  • 4.35 miles
  • 06m 58s /Mi
I'm pretty happy with this run. It was a little chilly (45 degrees) and a light wind at 10 MPH, but not too bad. For this run, I had always been using 4.5 miles as the distance last year. That is what I got when I drove it. On Google Maps it's 4.32, on the BT route tracker, it's 4.4. According to my GPS watch, it's 4.25. I trust the GPS the most, but I wonder if it keeps a tight watch on all the turns. What I mean is if you run up to a corner and make a turn, does it realize you went all the way to the corner, or does it think you cut across the grass? Does it spot your location continually, or does it just check every few seconds? I need to investigate further. For now, I'll call this a 4.3 mile run. At 4.3 miles, it's 7:02 pace. At 4.25 miles, it's 7:08 pace. at 4.5 miles, it's 6:44 pace. I know I wasn't running that hard. But it's funny how a small discrepency in the distance can make such a difference in the pace calculation. One thing I can say for sure about today's run - I've come a long way since last year. The tracking devices may change, but the geography doesn't. When I ran this same route last spring, I was usually in the 34-36 minute range. So I've certainly improved.

• Health data: Sleep: 5 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 4

Friday - April 18

Swim
  • 38m 25s
  • 2187.23 yards
  • 26m 21s /1500 yards

I haven't given myself a 5 for a workout for a while. I thought this was as deserving as any. I was able to stay below 2:00/100m pace for the entire distance. Splits were 9:40, 9:45, 9:30, and 9:30. I only really pushed myself for the last 200m or so.

Sport
  • Physical Therapy
  • 40m

This will probably be my last PT appt. for a while. She gave me about 15 different drills to work on (not all on the same day, necessarily), that I can do at home, so I'll keep it going on my own.

At the ortho appt., he thought my flexibility and strength was improving, and my pain seems to be lessening, so we're going to continue the current course of action. Ideally, of course, I'd take a month off, keep the PT going, then gradually work my way back into running. With my first tri 7 weeks away, that won't work, and since the pain is less, I'm OK with toughing it out for now. My running has only slipped a little. If I can make it through this season, I'll take some time in October/November to rest and recover. Unfortunately, the marathon in October might not be possible. I might be able to train for the half, but we'll see. In the meantime, I'll just keep going and hopefully things will continue to slowly get better. Something else that is interesting: my weight has gone up about 5-7 pounds in the past few months. I find it odd because I've continued to workout regularly, and my eating habits have remained the same (not great, but at least better than they were a year and a half ago). Furthermore, my waist is 2 inches smaller than it was before I started training, and really just the same as it was 6 months ago. The only thing I did differently over the past 6 months is the weight training for about 2 months, and the PT. Perhaps I've added muscle mass? I'm inching back up toward Clydesdale territory.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5

Thursday - April 17

Bike
  • 45m
  • 14.77 miles
  • 19.69 Mi/hr
Motivation to ride in the basement is weakening. It's getting really hard to workout when the weather sucks so bad. And on top of it all, my knee has been pretty sore today. PT and ortho appt's in the morning tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 2

robfornoff's Training Log

April 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30   

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned