The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Sunny High 82FLow 57F
  • Temp: 75F
  • Hum: 69%
  • W: 6mph ENE
THURSDAY
Sunny
High 81F
Low 60F
FRIDAY
Sunny
High 83F
Low 69F
SATURDAY
Partly Cloudy
High 83F
Low 67F
SUNDAY
Sunny
High 78F
Low 58F

Monday - April 28

Knee is sore today. No workout.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 1 Sick: 4

Sunday - April 27

Sport
  • Basketball
  • 45m
OK. There is something seriously wrong with my knee now. It really hurts just to walk on. It was fun to play basketball, but now I'm feeling it. I've spent most of this year so far trying to figure out what's wrong with the knee and rehabbing. Then I go out and play basketball (half-court, just messing around) and I can't walk. I'm going back to ortho and hopefully we'll do an MRI and find out what's really wrong. Very frustrating. Otherwise, it was a nice day. Had brunch with Thornburghs, Borkowskis, Van Thommes, Paul Doucette, and Jay Hoover before everyone left.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 4 Soreness: 1 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 4 Overall Workout: 2

Saturday - April 26

Sport
  • Basketball
  • 1h 30m
The new hoop went up on Friday, so we got out to play some ball today. Finally! It's funny - when you don't play anymore, you lose skills. Hm, how about that. We just messed around at first on the adjustable hoop, then played a couple games of 2 on 2, followed by some HORSE. It was a lot of fun. Then we grilled some food, watched the draft, played some cards, drank some beer. It was good to see old friends again. Unfortunately, my knee didn't care too much for the basketball. It was pretty sore for the rest of the day.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 5

Friday - April 25

Strength
  • 18m

Core and leg strengthening and stretching while watching the Cubs game.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 4 Sick: 2

Thursday - April 24

Day off today for rest. I was thinking about swimming, but I just decided to take the whole day off. Today and Friday are our big pediatrics conference in town. Dinner at Des Moines Golf was nice, too.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Sick: 2

Wednesday - April 23

Bike
  • 1h 23m 20s
  • 24.80 miles
  • 17.86 Mi/hr

I finally got out for my first ride of the year. A decent ride, 70 degress and windy (20-25 MPH). A smart person would have gone in the morning while there was still no wind, but I putzed around doing other things and didn't get out until 12:30.

I was just glad to get the Time In The Saddle and get the miles under me. No land speed records today with the crazy wind. But even though I didn't go too fast, this was about 16 minutes faster than my first 40K ride last season, so that's encouraging. I did a loop through the countryside for the first 10 miles. Then I stayed in town (where it was slightly less windy) and rode a couple of my running routes. The one I ran Saturday was 4.35 miles, so I'll update that. My 10K route is right on. Then I just kind of tooled around the neighborhood for the last 4 miles.

Bike goes into the shop today to get new aerobars installed. They're also going to tighten up the gearing and brakes and whatever else needs to be done. Then I'll be ready to go!

Strength
  • 19m

• EXERCISE

Sets
    Min
    reps
    Max
    reps
    Min
    wt.(lb)
    Max
    wt.(lb)
  • ABS - Sit-Ups, Flat
  • CHEST - Pushups

Also did planks, single leg squats, and stretching.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 5 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

Tuesday - April 22

Run
  • 46m 30s
  • 6.20 miles
  • 07m 30s /Mi

Absolutely fantastic night for a run - 55 degrees and calm. Moderate pace for 10K. This was 3 1/2 minutes faster than 2 weeks ago, and probably 3 minutes slower than what I could have done if I was pushing myself.

I didn't run much harder than the last time I ran this route, but I just didn't slow myself down whenever my HR bumped above 150. Besides the last 0.3 mile or so when I was trying to hit the 46:30 mark (7:30 pace), my HR was never over 155. As you can tell, I'm still getting used to this whole HR training style.

Strength
  • 10m

Pre- and post-run stretching.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

robfornoff's Training Log

April 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30   

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned