The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Partly Cloudy High 72FLow 60F
  • Temp: 56F
  • Hum: 93%
  • W: 8mph ESE
WEDNESDAY
Moderate or heavy rain shower
High 73F
Low 60F
THURSDAY
Moderate or heavy rain shower
High 69F
Low 49F
FRIDAY
Sunny
High 53F
Low 40F
SATURDAY
Sunny
High 60F
Low 44F

Thursday - May 15

Sport
  • Basketball
  • 1h 15m

A little 2 on 2 in the backyard. Actually, we played 5 games to 11, so it was more than just a little. The knee felt good, but a little weak - I'm sore in the muscles around the knee, probably from not using them too much in the past 3 weeks. But the knee itself feels pretty good.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

Wednesday - May 14

Bike
  • 1h 14m 38s
  • 25.49 miles
  • 20.49 Mi/hr
I was hammering pretty hard today. It was a great day for a ride - 60 degrees, 10 MPH wind out of the NW. I wore my watch on the ride, so I set it to give me 3-mile splits: 9:08 8:25 9:23 8:29 8:58 8:46 8:53 8:24 4:09 I don't know how helpful the splits are - the variance is mostly a function of the wind and hills. At times I would push harder or coast a little, but over the long haul, it's mostly environmental, from my perception, at least. The knee feels pretty good today. I could push just about as hard with my right leg as with my left. I did start to tire out quite a bit after about 18 miles, so I really need to work on my endurance in this discipline. Overall, though, I'm really happy with today's ride. If things go well, I'm hoping to go for a 2-3 mile run on Thursday or Friday, just to try out the knee.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 4

Tuesday - May 13

Ortho Appointment First we looked at the MRI. The menisci and ligaments were all intact. The effusion was obvious, but not really a revelation. He wasn't so concerned about the Baker's cyst because it's more of a consequence of the effusion, most likely. The bones looked great, except for an incidental (and inconsequential) finding of a small bone cyst in the metaphysis of the tibia. The surrounding musculature (including the IT band) all looked normal as well. He thought a redundant plica was unlikely due to the location of the pain, and the appearance of the MRI. Despite intact cartilage, he thought it was still possible a small area of cartilage damage was possible. Otherwise, he thought my condition was "curious." We elected to go with the steroid injection today. He injected 5cc of a kenalog/marcaine solution into my knee. The knee felt better right away from the marcaine, and tonight, it continues to feel better, although not 100%. He said full effect won't take place for 2-3 days. We'll see - I'm trying to remain optimistic.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Sick: 3

Monday - May 12

Swim
  • 36m
  • 1531.06 yards
  • -----

200m warmup
1000m drills
200m cooldown

I'm hoping to do a long swim on Wednesday.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 3

Sunday - May 11

Sport
  • Basketball
  • 15m
Played a game of HORSE with my dad, and then shot around for a while with Tony. Other than yesterday morning's ride, this weekend was mostly consumed with taking down, transporting, and rebuilding a swingset for the girls. One of our nurses has children age 9 and up, so they were looking to get rid of theirs. It's still in good condition, so it works well for us. It was quite a project, though. The knee is pretty sore from the weekend. I'll try to get to the gym to swim tomorrow, then I have my appt. on Tuesday morning with Dr. Honkamp.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 1 Sick: 3

Saturday - May 10

Bike
  • 53m 25s
  • 17.48 miles
  • 19.63 Mi/hr

Not a bad ride, but fairly chilly at just 50 degrees. If I ride this temperature, I should get some of those shoe covers becuase my toes are freezing!

I'm still pushing more with the left leg due to the soreness in the right knee, so I got a little cramping in the left hamstring. So I need to work on that. But mostly, I just need more Time In The Saddle, if you know what I mean.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 3

Friday - May 9

Sport
  • Basketball
  • 20m

Shooting around with my dad in the evening. I really like having a hoop. I don't know why it took us this long to get one.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Sick: 3

robfornoff's Training Log

May 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Volume

Time
Distance