FRIDAY
Overcast
High 35F
Low 21F
Run
  • 19m
  • 2.00 miles
  • 09m 30s /Mi
The knee was feeling good enough, so I decided to give it a try with a run. NICE AND SLOW is what I kept telling myself. At this level of effort, you can pretty much name your pace. So I decided to go for 9:30 pace and see how that felt. My legs were actually a little sore from the bike on Wednesday and basketball yesterday. But I am happy to report that the knee was completely pain-free throughout the run. I was definitely stiff in my form and strides, considering I haven't run at all for 3 weeks now. I'm going to do some stretching and call it a night. I'm hoping to get up early tomorrow and ride. We'll see how that goes.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 5 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3
Sport
  • Basketball
  • 1h 15m

A little 2 on 2 in the backyard. Actually, we played 5 games to 11, so it was more than just a little. The knee felt good, but a little weak - I'm sore in the muscles around the knee, probably from not using them too much in the past 3 weeks. But the knee itself feels pretty good.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3
Bike
  • 1h 14m 38s
  • 25.49 miles
  • 20.49 Mi/hr
I was hammering pretty hard today. It was a great day for a ride - 60 degrees, 10 MPH wind out of the NW. I wore my watch on the ride, so I set it to give me 3-mile splits: 9:08 8:25 9:23 8:29 8:58 8:46 8:53 8:24 4:09 I don't know how helpful the splits are - the variance is mostly a function of the wind and hills. At times I would push harder or coast a little, but over the long haul, it's mostly environmental, from my perception, at least. The knee feels pretty good today. I could push just about as hard with my right leg as with my left. I did start to tire out quite a bit after about 18 miles, so I really need to work on my endurance in this discipline. Overall, though, I'm really happy with today's ride. If things go well, I'm hoping to go for a 2-3 mile run on Thursday or Friday, just to try out the knee.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 4
Ortho Appointment First we looked at the MRI. The menisci and ligaments were all intact. The effusion was obvious, but not really a revelation. He wasn't so concerned about the Baker's cyst because it's more of a consequence of the effusion, most likely. The bones looked great, except for an incidental (and inconsequential) finding of a small bone cyst in the metaphysis of the tibia. The surrounding musculature (including the IT band) all looked normal as well. He thought a redundant plica was unlikely due to the location of the pain, and the appearance of the MRI. Despite intact cartilage, he thought it was still possible a small area of cartilage damage was possible. Otherwise, he thought my condition was "curious." We elected to go with the steroid injection today. He injected 5cc of a kenalog/marcaine solution into my knee. The knee felt better right away from the marcaine, and tonight, it continues to feel better, although not 100%. He said full effect won't take place for 2-3 days. We'll see - I'm trying to remain optimistic.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Sick: 3
Swim
  • 36m
  • 1531.06 yards
  • -----

200m warmup
1000m drills
200m cooldown

I'm hoping to do a long swim on Wednesday.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 3
Sport
  • Basketball
  • 15m
Played a game of HORSE with my dad, and then shot around for a while with Tony. Other than yesterday morning's ride, this weekend was mostly consumed with taking down, transporting, and rebuilding a swingset for the girls. One of our nurses has children age 9 and up, so they were looking to get rid of theirs. It's still in good condition, so it works well for us. It was quite a project, though. The knee is pretty sore from the weekend. I'll try to get to the gym to swim tomorrow, then I have my appt. on Tuesday morning with Dr. Honkamp.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 1 Sick: 3
Bike
  • 53m 25s
  • 17.48 miles
  • 19.63 Mi/hr

Not a bad ride, but fairly chilly at just 50 degrees. If I ride this temperature, I should get some of those shoe covers becuase my toes are freezing!

I'm still pushing more with the left leg due to the soreness in the right knee, so I got a little cramping in the left hamstring. So I need to work on that. But mostly, I just need more Time In The Saddle, if you know what I mean.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 3

robfornoff's Training Log

May 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Time
Distance
  • June's totals
  • May's totals