The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Sunny High 67FLow 46F
  • Temp: 69F
  • Hum: 33%
  • W: 15mph NNW
TUESDAY
Sunny
High 61F
Low 42F
WEDNESDAY
Sunny
High 62F
Low 50F
THURSDAY
Light rain shower
High 68F
Low 51F
FRIDAY
Sunny
High 73F
Low 54F

Friday - May 2

Swim
  • 20m 45s
  • 1093.61 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards

First time in the water for about a week and a half. Nice easy pace, done mostly without kicking or pushing off from the wall. I decided that since I couldn't do much in the way of cardio, I could work on other things like practicing sighting and breathing every 3rd stroke.

I got my preliminary results from the MRI from Wednesday. The radiologist's interpretation was that everything was structurally intact, i.e., no meniscus tear or ligament damage. There was an intraarticular effusion (which I already knew), which explains why it hurts to fully extend or flex the knee. There was also a ruptured Baker's Cyst, which may be the source of my pain. Baker's Cysts can be big or small, very painful to not at all painful, isolated or recurrent. Sometimes they need to be aspirated or excised, sometimes they go away on their own. I'm still a little skeptical of this as the cause of my chronic, episodic knee pain over the past 6 months, but we'll see what Nick says on Monday. At least I know the knee is structurally sound.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 5 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 1

Thursday - May 1

Knee is still too sore to workout, but improving. No word on the MRI yet, hoping to find out tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Sick: 3

Wednesday - April 30

Knee is starting to improve. I thought about swimming today, but I decided that even that might irritate it more and be counterproductive. So rest again. MRI is scheduled for 8:15 tonight. Hopefully I'll know exactly what I'm up against soon. Update: OK, just got back from the MRI at 9:30. That's quite an experience. I've seen plenty of them done before, from behind the glass window, but it's way different as the patient. People sometimes complain about the enclosed space or the loud noise, but for me the worst part was lying absolutely motionless for 40 minutes. I'm a little bit of a fidgety person, so it's hard for me to stay still for so long. I should know what's up by Friday.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Sick: 3

Tuesday - April 29

No workout due to injury. The good news for the day is that I got my bike back from the shop, and the new bars look MUCH better. I think I'm going to enjoy this new bike fit a lot better. I just wish I could try it out...

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 1 Sick: 4

Monday - April 28

Knee is sore today. No workout.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 1 Sick: 4

Sunday - April 27

Sport
  • Basketball
  • 45m
OK. There is something seriously wrong with my knee now. It really hurts just to walk on. It was fun to play basketball, but now I'm feeling it. I've spent most of this year so far trying to figure out what's wrong with the knee and rehabbing. Then I go out and play basketball (half-court, just messing around) and I can't walk. I'm going back to ortho and hopefully we'll do an MRI and find out what's really wrong. Very frustrating. Otherwise, it was a nice day. Had brunch with Thornburghs, Borkowskis, Van Thommes, Paul Doucette, and Jay Hoover before everyone left.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 4 Soreness: 1 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 4 Overall Workout: 2

Saturday - April 26

Sport
  • Basketball
  • 1h 30m
The new hoop went up on Friday, so we got out to play some ball today. Finally! It's funny - when you don't play anymore, you lose skills. Hm, how about that. We just messed around at first on the adjustable hoop, then played a couple games of 2 on 2, followed by some HORSE. It was a lot of fun. Then we grilled some food, watched the draft, played some cards, drank some beer. It was good to see old friends again. Unfortunately, my knee didn't care too much for the basketball. It was pretty sore for the rest of the day.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 5

robfornoff's Training Log

May 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned