The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Sunny High 96FLow 66F
  • Temp: 78F
  • Hum: 87%
  • W: 9mph S
WEDNESDAY
Light rain shower
High 80F
Low 60F
THURSDAY
Sunny
High 82F
Low 57F
FRIDAY
Patchy rain nearby
High 81F
Low 63F
SATURDAY
Partly Cloudy
High 82F
Low 62F

Monday - May 5

Swim
  • 28m 30s
  • 1640.42 yards
  • 01m 44s /100 yards

Pretty solid swim today. Ordinarily, this workout would just be a 3 or 4, but I gave myself a 5 for the effort while dealing with my injury. Splits were 9:35, 9:35, and 9:20.

The knee continues to improve, but it's not quite back to running condition yet. I may try to ride tomorrow or Wednesday, and hopefully run again before the end of the week.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 5

Sunday - May 4

Sport #1
  • Basketball
  • 30m
Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 1h 15m
I won't be counting my mowing as workouts this year, but I wanted to include this one as it was at least some activity, as compared to no activity for the past week. Also fertilzed the lawn in the evening. The court reduces mowing time by roughly 10 minutes, I'd guess. Basketball was just shooting around, FT contest (22-25 = winner), 3 point contest (8-25 = tie, very windy for shooting distance). Still, it was nice to do a little activity and enjoy the nice weather, finally.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 5 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 2

Saturday - May 3

Had to work today, and then had Kaylee's birthday party. That was a workout as much as any other. No S/B/R today as the knee is still too sore to do anything strenuous.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Sick: 3

Friday - May 2

Swim
  • 20m 45s
  • 1093.61 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards

First time in the water for about a week and a half. Nice easy pace, done mostly without kicking or pushing off from the wall. I decided that since I couldn't do much in the way of cardio, I could work on other things like practicing sighting and breathing every 3rd stroke.

I got my preliminary results from the MRI from Wednesday. The radiologist's interpretation was that everything was structurally intact, i.e., no meniscus tear or ligament damage. There was an intraarticular effusion (which I already knew), which explains why it hurts to fully extend or flex the knee. There was also a ruptured Baker's Cyst, which may be the source of my pain. Baker's Cysts can be big or small, very painful to not at all painful, isolated or recurrent. Sometimes they need to be aspirated or excised, sometimes they go away on their own. I'm still a little skeptical of this as the cause of my chronic, episodic knee pain over the past 6 months, but we'll see what Nick says on Monday. At least I know the knee is structurally sound.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 5 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 1

Thursday - May 1

Knee is still too sore to workout, but improving. No word on the MRI yet, hoping to find out tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Sick: 3

Wednesday - April 30

Knee is starting to improve. I thought about swimming today, but I decided that even that might irritate it more and be counterproductive. So rest again. MRI is scheduled for 8:15 tonight. Hopefully I'll know exactly what I'm up against soon. Update: OK, just got back from the MRI at 9:30. That's quite an experience. I've seen plenty of them done before, from behind the glass window, but it's way different as the patient. People sometimes complain about the enclosed space or the loud noise, but for me the worst part was lying absolutely motionless for 40 minutes. I'm a little bit of a fidgety person, so it's hard for me to stay still for so long. I should know what's up by Friday.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Sick: 3

Tuesday - April 29

No workout due to injury. The good news for the day is that I got my bike back from the shop, and the new bars look MUCH better. I think I'm going to enjoy this new bike fit a lot better. I just wish I could try it out...

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 1 Sick: 4

robfornoff's Training Log

May 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Volume

Time
Distance