The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Sunny High 72FLow 51F
  • Temp: 70F
  • Hum: 49%
  • W: 8mph SSW
TUESDAY
Sunny
High 70F
Low 53F
WEDNESDAY
Partly Cloudy
High 70F
Low 54F
THURSDAY
Sunny
High 79F
Low 58F
FRIDAY
Sunny
High 79F
Low 58F

Wednesday - May 7

Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • 2624.67 yards
  • -----

200m warmup
1000m drills
1000m - 18:55
200m cooldown

I hadn't done any drillwork for a while, and I could tell my form was deteriorating a bit. Next week, I think I may go for a long endurance swim sometime.

Bike
  • 25m 02s
  • 8.52 miles
  • 20.42 Mi/hr

I was debating whether my knee felt good enough to go for a ride. I decided that I was just too anxious to pass up an opportunity, so I took the bike out for a quick spin.

I thought the bike was fast before, but now I think I'll really be moving. The new aerobar setup is SOOOO much better. I was able to stay in the aero position for the entire ride today, except for cornering, of course. The positioning of the forearm rests and the extension of the bars still need some tweaking. The guys at the bike shop also tuned up the gearing and brakes, and re-positioned my bike computer so it's in the center of my bars, thus easier to read. I couldn't really push hard with the right leg, so I was getting a little cramping on the left side, from compensation. I think it was important for me to keep this ride short because of that.

I was able to maintain a 20 MPH average, despite a 20 MPH wind and a bum wheel (mine, not the bike's). Granted it was only for 8.5 miles. But still, I'm very excited to see how this bike performs in calm conditions.

LATEST UPDATE ON RIGHT KNEE 2008 Here is what we talked about with regard to the knee. He thought the cartilage looked "pristine." He was not so concerned about the Baker's cyst, but more about the effusion. He was wondering why the effusion was there - usually there is something that causes it. Sometimes you can have minor damage to cartilage or bone that the magnet doesn't pick up. He thought we could either 1. leave it alone, 2. inject steroid for temporary anti-inflammatory purposes, or 3. scope the knee to see if there is some minor fraying or tearing somewhere. I'm going to go in to look at the MR with him, and then we'll decide. I feel like I've already been doing #1, so I'm leaning toward #2 right now. If we can get the inflammation under control, I can get back to training and competing throughout the summer. Then, if I'm still having trouble in the fall, we could scope it then. We'll see.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 4

Tuesday - May 6

Every day, the knee is slightly better than the day before. I actually did a little jogging while pushing the kids in strollers. It still hurts to go up and down stairs. I also feel a little popping now and then. We'll see how tomorrow goes - I'll either swim or ride depending on how it feels.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Sick: 3

Monday - May 5

Swim
  • 28m 30s
  • 1640.42 yards
  • 01m 44s /100 yards

Pretty solid swim today. Ordinarily, this workout would just be a 3 or 4, but I gave myself a 5 for the effort while dealing with my injury. Splits were 9:35, 9:35, and 9:20.

The knee continues to improve, but it's not quite back to running condition yet. I may try to ride tomorrow or Wednesday, and hopefully run again before the end of the week.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 5

Sunday - May 4

Sport #1
  • Basketball
  • 30m
Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 1h 15m
I won't be counting my mowing as workouts this year, but I wanted to include this one as it was at least some activity, as compared to no activity for the past week. Also fertilzed the lawn in the evening. The court reduces mowing time by roughly 10 minutes, I'd guess. Basketball was just shooting around, FT contest (22-25 = winner), 3 point contest (8-25 = tie, very windy for shooting distance). Still, it was nice to do a little activity and enjoy the nice weather, finally.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 5 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 2

Saturday - May 3

Had to work today, and then had Kaylee's birthday party. That was a workout as much as any other. No S/B/R today as the knee is still too sore to do anything strenuous.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Sick: 3

Friday - May 2

Swim
  • 20m 45s
  • 1093.61 yards
  • 01m 54s /100 yards

First time in the water for about a week and a half. Nice easy pace, done mostly without kicking or pushing off from the wall. I decided that since I couldn't do much in the way of cardio, I could work on other things like practicing sighting and breathing every 3rd stroke.

I got my preliminary results from the MRI from Wednesday. The radiologist's interpretation was that everything was structurally intact, i.e., no meniscus tear or ligament damage. There was an intraarticular effusion (which I already knew), which explains why it hurts to fully extend or flex the knee. There was also a ruptured Baker's Cyst, which may be the source of my pain. Baker's Cysts can be big or small, very painful to not at all painful, isolated or recurrent. Sometimes they need to be aspirated or excised, sometimes they go away on their own. I'm still a little skeptical of this as the cause of my chronic, episodic knee pain over the past 6 months, but we'll see what Nick says on Monday. At least I know the knee is structurally sound.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 5 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 1

Thursday - May 1

Knee is still too sore to workout, but improving. No word on the MRI yet, hoping to find out tomorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Sick: 3

robfornoff's Training Log

May 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Volume

Time
Distance