FRIDAY
Patchy rain nearby
High 38F
Low 22F
Bike
  • 08m 06s
  • 2.40 miles
  • 17.78 Mi/hr

I went over to the lake today to practice an OWS swim after work. Wouldn't you know, as soon as I got there, it started raining, and I heard a big thunderclap overhead. So I decided to pass on the swim. There were quite a few people swimming, though. Way more than I saw practicing the swim last year, from what I can remember.

After that, I wasn't going to workout today, but I did want to do a systems check on the bike to make sure everything was up to speed. I was planning to just set it up on the trainer. But we got the girls to bed at 8:30, and it was still light out, so I just took the bike around the neighborhood a couple of times. I flipped through all the gears, tried out both rings, pedalled hard and slow. Everything seems to be tip top.

Sport
  • Transitions
  • 20m

Practiced getting on and off the bike with the pedals still clipped in. Also practiced getting in and out of the wetsuit once. That thing is hot when you're not in the water.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 5 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 1
Sport #1
  • Basketball
  • 1h 30m
Sport #2
  • Transitions
  • 10m
Probably not the smartest thing in the world to play 7 games of 2-on-2 just 2 1/2 days before the big event. But it was fun, anyway. I also worked on getting in and out of my wetsuit quickly. The Body Glide is very helpful. I checked out the swim site today. It's still in the process of being set up. I'm still worried about setting up 2 different transition zones, and all the traffic and parking issues of getting in and out of the area. I'm thinking about waking up at 4 to drive down there, but even that may not be early enough.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 4
Bike
  • 1h 10m 18s
  • 24.86 miles
  • 21.22 Mi/hr
70 degrees and 5 MPH wind from the W. Great morning for a ride. My legs were a little tired from the run last night, but not bad. Besides, I need to get used to riding after running anyway. I had my virtual partner set for 21 MPH, so I beat him by 44 sec. He sucks. After the ride, my left hamstring was really tight again. I cannot figure out why this is happening. It only happens when I ride hard though, so I'm sure it's just muscle soreness. Still, it's going to be hard to run if that happens on race day. I'll need to make sure to spin lightly for the last mile or so to try to loosen it up.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 4
Run
  • 29m
  • 4.00 miles
  • 07m 15s /Mi
I gave myself a 5 for this workout because I was able to do exactly what I set out to do. I went out and ran the hilliest route I could think of in my neighborhood. I wanted to run 7:15 pace (45 min. 10K pace) despite going up and down all the hills, since that's what we're going to be dealing with on Sunday. This 4 mile route included 230 feet of ascent and descent. That averages to about 2.2% grade one way or another. It's still not as hilly as the race route will be, but it's probably pretty close. Splits: 7:14 7:20 7:15 7:11 Conditions were 70 degrees and calm. I absolutely know I could have kept up this pace for another 2.2 miles, and hopped on the bike with energy to go. I want to get one more good bike ride in tomorrow. Then I'll do a light, easy run on Thursday, and a light ride on Friday morning, or maybe nothing Friday. Saturday will be a rest day.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5
No workout tonight as I begin my taper. My legs are pretty sore today, so I need this day off anyway. Instead of working out, I went to the peds residents' informal graduation dinner (just the guys). We went to Rube's Steakhouse. I had the 12 oz. ribeye and the 16 oz. bacon-wrapped filet. I love cows.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Sick: 2
Bike
  • 52m 29s
  • 18.60 miles
  • 21.26 Mi/hr

65 degrees and 10 MPH wind from the SW. I felt pretty good for the first 10 miles or so, but then I could start to feel the legs were tired from the run 9 hours earlier. I decided to turn in at the 3/4 mark instead of finish the whole 40K this morning.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3
Run #1
  • 20m
  • 0.82 miles
  • -----

Pre- and postrun stretching, and warmup.

Run #2
  • 43m 52s
  • 6.20 miles
  • 07m 05s /Mi

I was going pretty hard tonight. I wanted to prove to myself that I could put up a decent time, so that a 45 minute goal for the first 10K was reasonable. It was a pretty warm and muggy (and buggy) night.

Splits:
6:55
7:02
7:04
7:17
7:21
6:49
1:24

All right, I'm starting to accept the "dry-tri," AKA duathlon, AKA not a triathlon. I printed off the maps for the runs and bike, and then I drove out after work this afternoon to see the routes for myself. I hope you're all ready to run some hills! There are a lot, and I mean a lot, of hills for both runs. I'm not real crazy about this major of a change in course, but again, what can you do, they're doing the best they can. I haven't been training for hills mostly becuase of my knee, but also because the original route didn't have any hills except for the end. In addition to the hills, there are 4 different spots along the 10K where we do a 180 turnaround. Most of the route will see runners running in both directions. I hope everything is well marked, because this is no simple out and back. The 5K run is just a shorter version the 10K, and I hope none of the last group is still on the 10K course when the leaders are coming around to finish. I imagine the AG winner will be somewhere around 1:48 (32, 58, 16, 2 min. trans). There is about a 30-minute delay from the first wave to the last wave, assuming we're doing waves, so if any of the old guys take over 1:15 to finish their 10K, it could be an issue. Now that I write this, I've gone back and looked at times from last year, and I think this will indeed happen. That will be interesting, especially if the leaders are coming in close together. I haven't scouted the bike ride yet, but I'll do that eventually. It's mostly in the newly-developing Jordan Creek area, and the mostly rural area south of Jordan Creek. Going from memory, there will be some hills early and late as we leave the area, and then cross over I-35, but then it should be fairly flat for the rest of the route. I could be wrong about that, though, so I'll have to check it out to be sure.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 4

robfornoff's Training Log

June 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Time
Distance
  • June's totals
  • May's totals