The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Sunny High 71FLow 46F
  • Temp: 47F
  • Hum: 83%
  • W: 8mph NNW
SUNDAY
Sunny
High 71F
Low 59F
MONDAY
Sunny
High 73F
Low 49F
TUESDAY
Sunny
High 55F
Low 39F
WEDNESDAY
Sunny
High 59F
Low 43F

Thursday - July 10

Sport
  • Basketball
  • 30m

Couple games of HORSE

Day off today as this would have been a day to run. I was going to try to swim after work, but I didn't get out in time.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Sick: 2

Wednesday - July 9

Bike
  • 1h 08m 31s
  • 24.86 miles
  • 21.77 Mi/hr
Doug, I think you sold an aero helmet. It was about 80-85 degrees and 10-15 MPH winds, so not ideal riding conditions, although not too bad. I decided to give it a real hard ride today with the aero helmet on. I broke my PR by 25 seconds and beat my best time from this year by about a minute and a half. I think I could probably get down close to 1:07 on a cool morning with calm winds. The aero helmet looks and feels weird. It's also really loud with the wind whipping between your ears and the ear covers, so it's hard to hear traffic. But it's obvious how much it helps to smooth your head, cover your ears, and let the air slip down to your back. I don't think I'll wear it every time I ride - in fact I'll probably only wear it every once in a while, just to remember how it feels. And of course during competitions. Doug, can you just add the cost of the helmet to whatever I owe you for FFB?

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 5 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5

Tuesday - July 8

Swim
  • 40m
  • 1859.14 yards
  • -----

100 warmup
500m repeats
8:58
9:00
9:16
100m cooldown

I was hoping to be at or under 9:00 for these, but I fizzled out at the end. I was pretty tired by the end of the third 500, but I wasn't too far away. Total time of 27:14 is actually a few seconds off my PR. I suppose that means that I've been neglecting swimming a bit for the past month or so.

My knee actually isn't very sore today, considering the run last night. Bleh.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 4

Monday - July 7

Run
  • 09m 18s
  • 1.15 miles
  • 08m 05s /Mi
The knee was feeling a little better, and it's been 9 days since my last run, so I thought I'd give it a try again tonight. I was going to try 2 miles. For the first time, it actually hurt while I was running. It's been 8 weeks since the steroid injection, and I think it's safe to say that it's worn off now. I have a small effusion again, and even light running for a short distance is painful. My only chance now is to just focus on bike and swim, and hope to gut out a 3 mile run in Papio. Then I think I have to shut it down for the season. I can't even express how disappointed I am by this. After Papio, I'll go back to get my knee checked out again, and see if we can get some solid answers.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 5 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 1

Sunday - July 6

Bike #1
  • 22m 50s
  • 3.48 miles
  • 9.14 Mi/hr

Rode the trail with Anisa. Nice and easy pace, served as a good warmup. Afterwards, she gave me the OK to go longer, so after a quick stop at the house, I went.

Bike #2
  • 46m 22s
  • 16.25 miles
  • 21.03 Mi/hr

I rode to the next town over (Alexander) and back. It turns out that it's just over 8 miles each way. A little windy, and a little hilly. I thoought about saying "rolling hill route near Anisa's parents' house," but that line is already trademarked. I was working pretty hard for the last 3 miles to get a final average above 21 - avg. HR over last 3 miles was about 165.

The knee felt good today, and continues to improve as long as I'm not running on it. I do need to get a few runs in over the next 3 weeks so I'm not completely out of running shape by Papio. But at this point at least, I think I'll still be able to compete.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 2 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 4

Saturday - July 5

Bike
  • 1h 15m 52s
  • 25.00 miles
  • 19.77 Mi/hr
Sport
  • Golf
  • 1h 45m

Not really a workout, but at least I got to get out on the course again. I didn't bring my clubs, so I had to borrow my father in law's clubs. Additionally, my back was hurting from sleeping on the couch for 2 days (kids aren't cooperating with sleeping arrangements). So that's why I shot a 50. I've got this golf excuse thing down pat!

We were going to ride together today, but Anisa wasn't feeling well last night, so I went for a ride by myself this morning. I rode the distance of the trail in town (3.3 miles), rode the run route from last year's tri (2.94 miles), and rode the bike route from last year's tri (10.5 miles). So those are all pretty close to what I though they were. Then I just kind of rode around and through town to complete 25 miles. There were a lot of stop and turn and going over bike curbs on the trail, so my overall pace was fairly slow for me compared to similar distance rides. I still need to try out the aero helmet Doug is letting me try, so maybe I can do that sometime this upcoming week.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 2 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

Friday - July 4

I would have loved to go for a run this morning as it was a beautiful morning, but I want to rest my knee as much as possible. Maybe I can run on Sunday if it's feeling a little better.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Sick: 2

robfornoff's Training Log

July 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Volume

Time
Distance