MONDAY
Cloudy
High 32F
Low 21F
TUESDAY
Sunny
High 33F
Low 26F
I was going to swim today, but lack of motivation and the long drive to the Bell Center stopped me.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Sick: 2
Sport
  • Basketball
  • 1h 00m
This was not ideal conditions for basketball as it was about 85 degrees and it must have been 100% humidity. We were drenched when we were done. I didn't play particularly well either. It was still fun, though.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Sick: 2
Bike
  • 57m 13s
  • 19.07 miles
  • 20.00 Mi/hr
Easy ride in the morning. I even wore a loose fitting shirt to remind myself to take it easy today. Of course, in the last few miles, I didn't listen to myself, as I pushed hard to get to a 20 average. But that's OK, I was only riding hard for maybe 10 minutes or so. Nice morning for a ride.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3
Run
  • 24m
  • 3.00 miles
  • 08m /Mi
Still deciding whether I'm going to press on this year or call it a season. It would kind of suck to be done after just 2 races.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 2
One more day off, and then I'll get back at it tommorrow.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Sick: 2
Sport
  • Walking
  • 40m

Walked about 2 miles pushing the stroller over to the new office and then a nearby park. There is still a lot of work that needs to be done, and we're opening tomorrow! I spent some time over there moving boxes, putting tables together, cleaning, etc. It'll be good enough to open, but it's nowhere near finished. I'll still be putting tables together between patients tomorrow.

I really don't feel too bad today - just the usual achiness in the knee. I'm going to take a few days and decide if I'm going to still try to do 1-2 more races this year or shut it down and head back to see my ortho again. I'd like to get at least one more USAT race so I can get the ranking they give for people who have done 3 or more. We'll see.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Sick: 2
Bike #1
  • 14m 45s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 13.22 Mi/hr

First part of warmup was a bike ride around the trail.

Run #1
  • 04m 24s
  • 0.50 miles
  • 08m 48s /Mi

Easy jog to warm up.

Swim #1
  • 05m
  • 218.72 yards
  • 02m 17s /100 yards

We made sure we got our warmup swim in to better prepare ourselves this year.

Swim #2
  • 10m 39s
  • 546.81 yards
  • 01m 57s /100 yards

I figured I needed to get around to doing this. Distances for warmups from yesterday and today are copied from Doug's log.

My swim was no better than last year's, which is quite disappointing. I started in a bad spot near the inside. I swear there were a few guys who had no idea where they were going, because they swam right in front of me at about a 45 degree angle. A smarter starting spot would have been on the outside like at Hy-Vee, or right in the very front, and then swim hard to the first buoy.

Checking the race results, I had the 30th fastest swim time among the men. If I would have just swum 1 minute faster, I would have been 14th. I can swim 9:39 in my sleep in the pool, so that should be reasonable for me in the OW. The problem was, I couldn't even swim hard because of all the congestion. I couldn't even put my head in the water for about the first 100m, and I never got enough space to be comfortable until about the last 200m. Lesson learned for next year: start on the outside, and swim hard right off the gun.

Edit - after checking the facts (I try not to let those get in the way of a good story), it turns out that this swim actually was about a minute faster than last year's swim. So that's encouraging, although I still know I would have been much faster with a better position and better starting strategy.

Bike #2
  • 37m 39s
  • 13.24 miles
  • 21.10 Mi/hr

Well, my goal of 37:30 was right on. I pushed pretty hard on the bike, but held back enough to fight through the run (I thought). I had the 10th fastest bike time, and it clearly saved my overall time.

This was the one area where I thought I could make up ground against Doug "AG Champion" Schaefer, but it was not to be. This was totally his day, and it was great to see him do so well.

I have to say, this was a very fun bike course. It's not one where you can put your head down and just mash all the way through - it's very technical when you wind through the trail, then basically jump a curb, and head to the streets. Then the streets are constant ups and downs, varying speeds between 13 and 35 MPH.

I always love the bike segment when my bike isn't broken. I passed probably 12-15 people on the first lap, then there was constant lapped traffic on the second and third laps. Lots of fun.

Run #2
  • 24m 30s
  • 3.00 miles
  • 08m 10s /Mi

Ouch. That's about all I can say. The run was all about pain. I had only run 11 miles since Hy-Vee, all in pain, and these 3 were no different. To top it off, I forgot to take my naproxen before the run, so it was that much worse. In addition to the knee pain, my legs were simply out of shape for running. Each 10th of a mile felt like a mile.

This time was very disappointing. Consider I ran a 3 mile run after a 40K ride in 22:29 (7:15 pace) back in early June. Also consider I ran a 47:35 10K (7:40 pace) at Hy-Vee. If I had been able to run like I wanted (needed) to, there is no reason I would have done any worse than 22:00. I was still hoping to tough it out in 22:30 or so, but my legs just wouldn't go. This was the 34th fastest run time.

Note that the guy who finished right behind me ran a 17:38. That is an amazing pace. If that guy learns to ride well, he will be a serious contender. I didn't have any idea he was behind my until Doug yelled to me that I had a guy pushing me. I gave it all I had for the last 40 yards or so, and just edged him at the line. Thanks to Doug for the assist there.

Sport
  • Transitions
  • 02m 39s

About as expected for transitions. I had trouble getting my shirt on over my shoulders again. I guess I should practice putting an under armour shirt on while I'm wet. I put my bike shoes on before leaving T1 because the bike ride goes uphill almost immediately, and I wanted to be strapped in for that. I did get my feet out of my shoes before getting into T2, so I think that helped some.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about this event. Obviously, I'm much happier than I was last year. I do feel like I did almost as well as I could have, considering my inability to run over the past month. Some of my problems were out of my control, but some of them were poor decisions that could be improved upon. 19/166 individuals, 18/106 men, 5/23 in AG. Looking more closely at the results, 3rd in our AG was just 46 seconds ahead of me. Both 3rd and 4th place passed me on the run. Considering how bad my run was, there were only 4 people who passed me, and I passed 1. So you can look at it as I only lost 3 spots, but it did cost me an AG medal. So yes, mixed feelings today. If you figure I can take off a minute on the swim, shave a minute off the bike, and knock off 3 minutes on the run with a healthy knee, that puts me down into the 1:10 range, which is definitely contention for an AG medal, and top 10 overall. Lastly, I want to congratulate Doug on a fantastic race. It was totally his day today, and I was proud to see him win the ashtray. I guess the race directors decided it would level the playing field if the top finishers in each AG took up smoking. Also, take a look at the top 4 finishers - all over 40. And the winner was 51! Amazing.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3
  • RACE DAY: Papillion Mayor's Triathlon

robfornoff's Training Log

August 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
Distance
  • June's totals