The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Sunny High 83FLow 60F
  • Temp: 67F
  • Hum: 93%
  • W: 15mph SW
TUESDAY
Sunny
High 80F
Low 61F
WEDNESDAY
Sunny
High 87F
Low 71F
THURSDAY
Moderate or heavy rain in area with thunder
High 83F
Low 72F
FRIDAY
Sunny
High 89F
Low 63F

Sunday - August 10

Bike #1
  • 1h 06m 22s
  • 24.86 miles
  • 22.48 Mi/hr

New PR by over 2 minutes. I started out hard like I planned to do, and I was able to maintain the intensity for the whole distance. I still think I could have ridden harder as my average HR was lower than on Friday. Even though I've ridden this distance many times, I'm still getting a feel for the ideal intensity. It was a great morning for a bike ride - 65 degrees and a light wind from the NE.

Bike #2
  • 15m
  • 3.00 miles
  • -----

2 mile warmup and 1 mile cooldown, plus some stretching.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5

Saturday - August 9

Had to work today. And with Anisa's family in town, I decided to take the day off. I'm going to try for a 40K PR on the bike on Sunday.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Sick: 2

Friday - August 8

Bike
  • 47m 57s
  • 18.15 miles
  • 22.71 Mi/hr

Feeling it today!!! Man, I wish I could have done 6.7 more miles, because I know I could have kept up this pace, but unfortunately I needed to get back to work. I was just hammering, and it went very well. I think my problems with why I've plateaued is that I need to start out harder instead of saving myself. If I start out pushing hard, I can kind of settle into a groove and just hold it there. I think I can keep my HR around 150-155 for the whole hour+ it takes to ride a 40K.

At this pace, I was looking at less than 18 more minutes to finish 40K, which would have put me at 1:05:40 or so. I know I have that in me. Maybe I'll see how I'm feeling on Sunday and try for it.

Ortho appointment today. He noticed an effusion again, which was not present prior to the basketball incident. I told him how I felt much better after the steroid injection, and then after 5-6 weeks it wore off. There wasn't much else besides the effusion on exam. So we're going to do another MR, this time with contrast, next Thursday. This is preparatory for likely arthroscopy in the next month or two, depending of course on the findings.

• Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 5

Thursday - August 7

Swim
  • 38m
  • 1640.42 yards
  • -----

Finally made it back to the gym for a swim.

250m warmup
1000m drills
250m cooldown

Ortho appt. tomorrow morning. I wonder how it will go.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

Wednesday - August 6

Bike
  • 2h 46m 30s
  • 56.00 miles
  • 20.18 Mi/hr

Half-iron distance ride.

I started out planning to do 50 miles. I just started out into the countryside, following whatever paved roads I could find. There was one part where I wasn't really sure where I was or how far away from home. As I got close to 50 miles, I started thinking it'd be cool to do 56 miles so I could notch a half-iron distance, so that's what I did.

Here's a riddle:

Q: What stinks in August?

A: Pigs.

I was trying to keep my HR in the 130's, and it was for most of the first half of the ride. It was in the 140's for most of the second half. I drank 2 water bottles and ate 3 gel packs. After about 45 miles, I was really starting to feel pretty bored. There's not a lot to think about when you're riding your bike.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 2 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 5

Tuesday - August 5

I must have forgotten where the gym is?? I didn't have time to get over to swim, yet again. This is becoming too frequent of a situation. I'm thinking about joining the Y up here in Ankeny for several reasons: 1. it's a lot closer to our house, 2. it has much more extensive pool hours, and 3. with our new office in Ankeny, I'll be working much closer to this pool most of the time. The downside is that is $50/mo. instead of $70/year. But considering all the costs involved in training, that's not that big of a deal. I'm still planning to do a long ride tomorrow morning, and the weather looks to be perfect. Weather.com lists the forecast for tomorrow at 8 AM as 67, sunny, and calm. I might just have to see what 50 miles is like.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Sick: 3

Monday - August 4

Bike
  • 49m 40s
  • 16.00 miles
  • 19.33 Mi/hr
Disgustingly hot today with the heat index touching 110. Did you know that in places with low humidity (desert, mountains, etc.), the heat index can actually be lower than the real temperature? I don't think I've ever experienced that. Whenever I hear the heat index mentioned, I always think to myself, "I'll be the judge of that," as if I can tell the difference better than the research. Anyway, I was able to get out in the evening when the heat index was a mere 95. In all honesty, it's not nearly as bad to ride in these conditions as it is to run in them. My goal was a nice 45-60 minute ride, keeping it nice and easy. I want to save my legs for later in the week. I kept my HR in the 120's almost the whole time. This made for a very pleasant ride, despite the temperature. I'm planning to hit the pool tomorrow, then go for a nice, long ride on Wednesday. Possibly 40-50 miles? depending on the conditions, how I'm feeling, etc. On the health front, I got another ortho appt. for Friday. We'll see what new news I have then.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 5 Sick: 3 Overall Workout: 3

robfornoff's Training Log

August 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned