The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Sunny High 68FLow 47F
  • Temp: 65F
  • Hum: 54%
  • W: 22mph N
MONDAY
Sunny
High 71F
Low 51F
TUESDAY
Sunny
High 68F
Low 56F
WEDNESDAY
Partly Cloudy
High 71F
Low 53F
THURSDAY
Sunny
High 77F
Low 54F

Monday - August 18

Day off today. I did mow the lawn so that counts for something. :)

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Sick: 2

Sunday - August 17

Sport
  • Basketball
  • 1h 00m
An hour of 2 on 2 at the church gym tonight. We're hoping to get a little Sunday night basketball going, which would be pretty cool. I'll try to do this as often as I can, at least until I have my knee fixed.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

Saturday - August 16

Bike
  • 1h 10m 11s
  • 24.86 miles
  • 21.25 Mi/hr
Another beautiful morning. As bad as our weather was for the first 7 months of the year, this is the nicest August I can remember. OK, here are some observations from the first week of the Olympics: 1. Michael Phelps is a fish with arms. 2. The USA basketball team is playing really well, and they're actually a fun team to pull for. Specifically, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, and Chris Bosh have made me a fan of all of them. I might even become more of an NBA fan because of this. 3. Usain Bolt looks like he is in a class by himself in the 100. He basically jogged to a 9.92 last night. There is nobody who is going to touch him in that event unless he does something to lose it. He could go 9.60 in the finals. 4. Triathlon events are scheduled for Sunday night (women) and Monday night (men). I'm going to try to watch those if they're on.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

Friday - August 15

Run
  • 21m
  • 1.30 miles
  • 16m 09s /Mi
MRI results: there is a small (6mm x 9mm) piece of the lateral meniscus that has torn off and found a new residence in the anterior joint space. This was not evident on the first MRI. The tear was near the lateral femoral condyle, which presents two possible scenarios: 1. the floater is just cartilage, or 2. there is a small bone fragment attached to the cartilage. In scenario 1, the procedure would simply be to remove the perpetrator. In scenario 2, where there is a piece of bone, he could re-attach the offending piece to the existing bone, and because bone heals to bone, it would grow back just as if nothing had happened. Theoretically. I suppose this is good news. Honestly, this is what I was expecting, and it's really what I wanted to hear. I'm glad to know that there really is something physically wrong in the knee, and it can be fixed. It's been nearly a year of recurrent/chronic knee pain for me. So I'm just happy we can move on toward a solution. We'll talk one more time during the last week of August, and then plan to scope sometime after that. Obviously, I won't be racing anymore this year. I'll keep biking and swimming up until the scope, assuming I can do so without pain, like I have been. Then after the procedure, I suppose there will be some rehab period, and then hopefully I'll be back good as new in 2009. I guess I can be happy that I got a top-20 finish at Papio with a torn meniscus. The knee is a little sore today still, after the injection yesterday, so I'm taking today off. I did walk to work and back today, so that's something. :)

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 2 Sick: 3

Thursday - August 14

MRI #2 today, this time, with contrast. Dr. Choi injected my knee with 40cc of lidocaine/saline/gadollinium. It's a little sore now. The second radiologist was Dr. Waddell. Here was our exchange: CW: Hey, Rob, how's it going? RF: Pretty good, you? CW: Good; what's new with you? RF: Just my knee, it hurts whenever I run. CW: Then don't run... RF: Gee, thanks, "doc." CW: That's what I'm here for! It was good to see Chris. I hadn't seen him since he moved back from Chicago. Lindsay reads a lot of the peds stuff we do, but he said he's seen a lot of orders from Tyler. He was talking about possibly getting season tickets for Drake basketball this year. Anyway, hopefully I'll know the results tomorrow, and then we can come up with a plan to deal with it.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Sick: 2

Wednesday - August 13

Bike
  • 2h 05m 57s
  • 40.80 miles
  • 19.44 Mi/hr
I had two options in mind for today's workout: 1. ride to the Bell Center for a swim and then ride back home, or 2. go for a long ride and skip the swim. I decided on option 2. I thought option 1 would be kind of cool, since I haven't done that before. The problem is I wasn't sure about the best way to get there, or exactly how far it would be. So I went out and rode the route I thought would be best for getting to the Bell Center, so I can do this sometime in the future. It's about 7 miles from my house to the Neal Smith trail, which heads downtown. It was about 7.5 more miles to the access point near MLK Drive. It's about 3 more miles from there to Drake, for a total of 17.5 miles each way, by bike. Someday, that'll make for a nice B-S-B workout. It was another great day for a ride. This was not a day to put the hammer down and try for PR's, it was a day to enjoy the scenery and have a nice workout. I turned around at the MLK access point and headed back north. Seeing how if I went straight home it would only give me about 29 miles, I went further north after I got back to Ankeny. Alleman is a very small town. It is the most recently incorporated town in Polk County (1973). Population 439. Median age is 37. Median household income of $66,458, which is higher than I would have guessed. Most impressively, there is a TV tower there that is tied for the 6th tallest structure in the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_masts

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 4

Tuesday - August 12

Swim
  • 28m 50s
  • 1640.42 yards
  • 01m 45s /100 yards

I've lost some fitness in the pool, due to the fact that I haven't really been swimming much lately. Hopefully, I can get back on track in the next few weeks.

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Overall Workout: 3

robfornoff's Training Log

August 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned