The question is: will this make me faster?

Ankeny,IA 
Today
Partly Cloudy High 81FLow 60F
  • Temp: 69F
  • Hum: 57%
  • W: 12mph SSW
MONDAY
Patchy light drizzle
High 74F
Low 40F
TUESDAY
Sunny
High 64F
Low 47F
WEDNESDAY
Patchy rain nearby
High 66F
Low 51F
THURSDAY
Sunny
High 69F
Low 48F

Tuesday - June 15

Bike
  • 1h 18m 27s
  • 24.90 miles
  • 19.04 Mi/hr

75 degrees and windy. It was a nice day for an easy ride around the north end of Ankeny. I never really pushed hard, just out to get the miles in today.

Monday - June 14

No workout today as this was a recovery day. I really didn't feel bad physically, but I was pretty tired from the early morning on Sunday, plus I was teaching Bible School at the church this morning, and leading 8 4-year-olds around is exhausting.

Sunday - June 13

Swim
  • 11m 06s
  • 546.81 yards
  • 02m 02s /100 yards
Bike
  • 36m 58s
  • 13.06 miles
  • 21.20 Mi/hr
Run
  • 22m 42s
  • 3.10 miles
  • 07m 19s /Mi
Sport #1
  • Transitions
  • 03m 11s
Sport #2
  • Transitions
  • 01m 47s
Hy Vee Triathlon Overall Time - 1:15:42 It was a strange day for a race. It was a little warm and muggy early in the morning as we drove to the shuttle site. When we got to the park, water temp was officially 75, so wetsuits were a go. Then we got the news - a storm was brewing of to the west and heading right at us. The race was going to be shortened to a sprint. That was a bummer for everyone because we had trained for an Oly. In the end, everyone agreed that it was the right call, because not more than 10 minutes after we were done, the rains came pouring down, including lightning. I guess I should just be happy that there was a race and that I could even compete at all, considering what I went through last year with my surgery and rehab. I would have liked to have seen what I could have done at the Oly distance, because I think a 2:35 was within reach. I know I didn't train as much as I should have this year, but I was ready for a good showing today. Maybe I'll try Big Creek this year so I can get an Olympic distance race in. Congrats to Doug and Tyler who blew me away this year. I have a lot of work to do if I want to keep up with you young guys. :) Also, congrats to Jeremy for another strong showing. You have gained significantly since the last time we raced together. It was great to see everyone again. We'll have to be sure to continue to make this a featured event on our calendars every year.

Saturday - June 12

Bike
  • 30m
  • 9.11 miles
  • 18.22 Mi/hr

Nice easy spin on the trainer this morning, to try to adjust to an early morning workout. I would have liked to have ridden outside, but the monsoon cancelled those thoughts.

Friday - June 11

No training today, but I did clean my bike chain. It gets dirty so slowly that it's easy to forget about it. But I love the way the bike feels and sounds after cleaning the chain.

Thursday - June 10

Run #1
  • 10m
  • -----
  • -----

5 min. warmup, 5 min. cooldown.

Run #2
  • 32m 33s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 08m 08s /Mi

Easy run on a nice night. I did have an "oh crap" moment when I was crossing from a sidwalk to the street and a stepped in a little depression in the grass. My knee hyperextended a little and hurt for a bit, but I think everything is OK.

As an aside, this is why I refuse to run in the grass. The theory is that it's softer and better on your ankles/knees/hips, which is certainly true for long-term, overuse injuries. But in my experience with my running, the uneven terrain is much more likely to cause and actue injury like this or an ankle sprain that the risks outweigh the benefits. Even 4 steps in the grass were enough to persuade me on this run.

Wednesday - June 9

Swim
  • 40m
  • 1640.42 yards
  • -----

3 laps around the practice course with Tyler. They said the course was 500m.

After the first lap, I made some adjustments to the wetsuit, and then I felt great. The suit wasn't quite far enough up over my shoulder on the left and it was causing a little strain. Once I fixed that, everything went very well.

Unfortunately for those of us who really want to get some use out of our wetsuits, the temp was 76 today. I don't know how it went from 73 yesterday at noon to 76 early this morning on a day that only got up to 84 and the low was in the 60's. So at this point, with two days projected in the mid-80's and two in the high-80's, wetsuits may not be allowed. On the other hand, we are also scheduled to get rain two days, so perhaps that will keep things cool. Keep your fingers crossed.

robfornoff's Training Log

June 2010 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30   

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned