WEDNESDAY
Cloudy
High 33F
Low 25F
Bike
  • 40m
  • 12.88 miles
  • 19.32 Mi/hr

Easy spin recovery session. I also took the opportunity to clean my chain, inspect the tires, adjust my seat bag, change the cleats on my shoes, and study up on race nutrition.

Bike
  • 1h 33m 35s
  • 30.00 miles
  • 19.23 Mi/hr

Nice easy bike to allow for a good transition to the run. HR was in the 115-125 almost the whole time.

Run
  • 31m
  • 4.00 miles
  • 07m 45s /Mi

With the weather cooperating (75 degrees, calm, overcast), I felt very strong on the run. I had plenty left in the tank to go farther, which is very reassuring for race day.

This run was a very good run for me. I compared this run to the first 4 miles of my Drake Relays half marathon. I ran those 4 miles about a minute faster, but with a HR of about 160, and with near-ideal conditions, and without a 30-mile bike ride preceding it. I am very encouraged by today's workout.

Furthermore, I ran in my regular cotton socks, and my feet felt fine. I will probably try the technical socks some other time, maybe during the winter. But right now is probably not the best time to be experimenting with new equipment.

Run
  • 28m 55s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 07m 14s /Mi

New distance shoes, hopefully in time to get them properly broken in for Pigman.

4 miles on the treadmill, negative splits:

7:30
7:23
7:08
6:54

OK, question for you guys: what kind of socks do you run in? I have always ALWAYS run in regular cotton socks that I wear all the time for ordinary use. When I bought these shoes, the guy who sold them to me was practically laughing at me because I wear cotton socks. He asked my how often I get blisters. Um, never. He said I'm lucky, and it's only a matter of time.

OK, fine, I'll try out your synthetic technical fiber socks. Guess what? My feet are killing me today. I have never had a problem with cotton socks; I switch to this other kind of socks and after just 4 miles my feet are quite upset with me.

Bike
  • 2h 47m 21s
  • 56.00 miles
  • 20.08 Mi/hr

Great day for a long ride! It was actually pretty hot again today, despite a relative cooldown (high of 90 instead of 100). I waited until 11 AM to ride so I could continue to acclimate to the hot weather. No going soft for me!

I noticed my HR was really drifting upward over the last 15 miles or so. I think that was because it was getting hotter, and I ran out of gatorade/water with about 12 miles to go. I need to practice better hydration, especially in preparation for race day.

Also, I went to Kyle's Bikes to get some new running shoes. I did the stride analyzer, and he confirmed my neutral gait with high arches, and fitted me with 4 different types of shoes. I went with the Mizuno because I felt like they had the best fitting upper and softest sole. I'll have to get a few runs in between now and Pigman to break them in and make sure I like the fit.

Run
  • 08m
  • 1.00 miles
  • 08m /Mi

Ran on the treadmill at the store while trying out several different kinds of shoes.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 20m

Day off between long run and long bike. Legs (and knees and ankles) are pretty sore today...I think I'm ready for some new running shoes.

Run
  • 1h 44m 43s
  • 12.00 miles
  • 08m 44s /Mi

The first half of the run went fine. The second half was predictably hot and humid, as it has been every day for the past month. It was already 80 degrees and HI of over 90 by the time I finished running at about 8 AM. I really started to tire out on the last 2 miles, probably because I wasn't drinking enough water. I only stopped back at the house once for a 20 oz. bottle of gatorade, which was not nearly enough.

I'm still holding out hope for a miraculously cool day on August 21, but I doubt it'll happen. I think we'll just have to be prepared for another sweltering day and try to get through it the best we can.

robfornoff's Training Log

August 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Time
Distance
  • June's totals
  • May's totals