Practice Love

Saturday - June 7

Bike
  • 1h 30m 45s
  • -----
  • -----

Half of it zooming around the neighborhood on mixed terrain, half on trainer. Really solid effort, not spinning or cruising. Also on the foldie with sneakers, where the hell are my bike shoes in that Hades Transition Area I call a room?!

Run
  • 32m
  • -----
  • -----
Swim
  • 1h 40m
  • 4200.00 meters
  • -----

I may come to hate Indonesia Masters Swimming as much as I hate Sheila ... OK, OK, I realize they need a female butterflyer, and the amount of stroke is nowhere near some of Sheila's real specials, but still ...

The pool does make me nostalgic about the old Indonesian national team swimming days, though. Shallow 50m pool, no gutters (WAVEPOOL), copra lane ropes attached to buckets filled with water at the ends of the pool, murky green smelly water, weird stuff floating at the edges, wondering if there's a body lurking on the bottom somewhere (this really did happen, TWICE, at the national pool). Anyway the middle lanes have the least crap floating in them so it's a big impetus to be a faster swimmer.

WU: 500 as 25 scull/25 catch-up long
MS1: 8x100 @2:00 75 free/25 fly
100 EZ
MS2: 8x50 fly @1:30 25 fly/25 fly kick
100 EZ
KS: 4x50 sprint flutter kick @1:30
100 EZ
MS4: 3x200 free @4:00, 2x150 free @3:00, 4x100 free @2:00
PS: 5x100 pull breathe 3, then 4 (off side), 5, 4 (off side) 3. Rest as needed for control.
CD: 200 IM EZ

Strength
  • 20m

Dryland bodyweight strength training with the traveling competition team for Indonesia Masters Swimming before the swim session. A lot of the same stuff I do for strength yoga, but I was wondering why it was before ... I'm used to doing it after (or late in the day when the body's been moving). Then we did the swim session and I realized why we do the strength stuff beforehand! You can't move afterward!

Sport
  • Walking
  • 06m

OK, I know 6min is ridiculous but so is walking the dog at 5 dark o'clock and not wanting to be late for your first swim practice.

Friday - June 6

I did JACK SHIT today!!!

(He's an awesome guy. We should all do him once in a while).

Physically, anyway. Lotta lotta other stuff to get done on my last working day (YAY!) in Jakarta and some of it involved hauling Mutti around. I also run up and down our stairs all day--that's 25 up, and 25 down, so 50 per trip! Not small dainty steps either. Phew!

I may have picked the wrong night to stay up late eating cheese cookies and nougat, considering my first workout with the Indonesian Masters Swimming traveling team is tomorrow (at 5:30am! WTF), but, what the hey :)

3 Items of Gratitude
1 - Scooter!
2 - loved watching Mutti eat ice cream at the mall after we ran errands (she's like a kid -- well duh, I'm like a kid -- our treat for surviving errands was to have ice cream)
3 - the ice cream itself!

3 Things Done Well
1 - Got all of Mutti's business stuff done efficiently (most importantly for her, the efficiency)
2 - Even got some of my stuff done
3 - Didn't push myself today physically beyond what I should

3 Things to Work On
1 - More broccoli, less cookie
2 - Eating more good stuff throughout the day so I'm not hungry at night
3 - Sticking to good bedtime habits (consistency)

BEST SWIM PICTURE EVER. Look carefully :)

Thursday - June 5

Bike
  • 1h 20m 30s
  • -----
  • -----

Super fun! Zoomed around the hood on my foldie the Green Machine, maiden road voyage, then finished it up on the trainer.

Run
  • 16m
  • -----
  • -----

Wee tranny run.

Swim
  • 1h 25m
  • 3400.00 meters
  • -----

Mostly 50s, which took a lot of mental focus as there were purposes to everything. Not physically tough; just takes a huge amount of effort and concentration to stay in an ever-changing game 50 after 50 after 50. Incredibly effective.

WU: 400 @1:00R as 200 fr/50 kick/100 fr/50 kick
PS: 6x50 pull @1:00 odds EZ evens build to near-sprint
100 EZ
MS*: 12 x 50 @1:15 stroke count. 4 x (EZ/mod/near-sprint)
MS2: 2 rounds
2 x 50 recovery drill (NOT recovery!) @:10R
2 x 50 kick @1:30
4 x 50 @1:05 Tarzan/free/dogpaddle/free
4 x 50 IM @1:10
PS: 4 x 150 pull @3:00, neg split by 75
CD: 200 stroke/free

*the other three times I've done this set, pretty much same stroke count at all efforts. This time a slightly higher stroke count for mod and more for sprint, at faster speeds.

Feeling much better today (obviously). My dentist is nuts. He's got free candy and free soft drinks in the waiting room. A fucking dentist?! Then I realized that's actually very, very smart. Ha!

3 Items of Gratitude1 - wonderful workouts today
2 - I'm becoming a person who thinks of others (sometimes :) )
3 - I'm also becoming more honest

3 Things Done Well
1 - got a ton of receipts in for reimbursement
2 - made sure Mutti got out to pottery class and visit her friend at the zoo
3 - bunch of errands done

3 Things to Work On
1 - was probably a little overenthusiastic on the workouts
2 - answer texts when I get them or I'll forget
3 - prioritize instead of procrastinate organization

Wednesday - June 4

Run
  • 32m 10s
  • -----
  • -----

Tough day. All I could do today. Felt lousy today, but no lousier on the run and actually a bit better by 30min ... just as it was ending. Heh.

Yesterday was actually a super busy day, so I'm sure today's tiredness is fallout from that. Also, because I've been receiving the rabies vaccination series and am on antibiotics, I'm a little worn down and have mild fever. (Or that could all be unrelated, but just how I feel).

Mutti came along to the mall and we went to a booth at the food court ... she was NOT impressed with this particular offering! NASI KUCING translation: CAT RICE. Even though it was a buy-3-get-1-free (4 paws?)

s

And for the lighter side of Alzheimer’s: anyone who’s experienced dementia (yourself, or someone close) knows there are precious few positives, so you have to embrace the funny, the good, and the poignant however you can. At SOS Clinic yesterday, we saw a doctor pass by whom our family’s known for a long time. Mutti says really loudly, “OH MY GOD, HE’S GOTTEN SO OLD!”

When we saw her neurologist, the doc said to me, “I am so, so sorry. Please forgive me. You see, just recently, my own grandmother who lives with us is diagnosed with dementia, possibly Alzheimer’s as well. And until it was so close to me, I had no idea what the families go through. I had no idea how painful, insane, and disruptive it is to all involved. I’ve thought of you and your mother so much the last few weeks, and I wish I had been more understanding and able to tell you how to get treatment too.”

I was deeply touched. I told her that nothing will be the same again, and nothing will be quite fine; but everything IS OKAY.

3 Items of Gratitude1. Kathleen, our new caretaking & household manager. She only comes 2 days + 1 night a week but she is a real professional, trained in the U.S., and smart as a whip. By having her check on things, manage and maintain them regularly, we don't have to be here so often.

2. That Mutti is happy and healthy.
3. That I'm happy :)

3 Things Done Well.
1-3 Pretty much every-fuckin'-thing today and I got a LOT of shit done despite feeling shitty

3 Things to Work On1. Some days, I do it really, really well. Today was one of those days. Ha!

Tuesday - June 3

Bike
  • 30m 10s
  • -----
  • -----

Watching the news in German with Mutti before dinner.

Run
  • 17m 15s
  • -----
  • -----
Swim
  • 1h 10m
  • 3000.00 meters
  • -----

I don't know what the hell I did for this but it was a bunch of stuff that's on a card somewhere. It's a Sheila special, so I probably suppressed the memory.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 1h 00m

Scooter walking! Day's total.

Monday - June 2

Run
  • 16m
  • -----
  • -----

Maybe I'll do more today. Maybe I won't!

Strength
  • 35m

Yogaaaah

Sport
  • Walking
  • 15m

Scooter-trottin'!

Sunday - June 1

Swim
  • 45m
  • -----
  • -----

Total swimming time for the day inc. warmup, events, cool-downs, open swimming after

Sport
  • Walking
  • 40m

Scooter walking!

Scooter is a dog.

You know it was spectacular when the meet director himself comes up to you afterward (out of 300+ swimmers) and tells you what a walking disaster you are.

Then invites you onto the traveling competition team :)

I gots hardware. It was fun. There were shenanigans!

• RACE DAY: Indonesia Masters Swimming Inaugural Meet

IndoIronYanti's Training Log

June 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Volume

Time
Distance

Actual vs Planned

Time

Upcoming races

• MetaMan Bintan Triathlon - Half Course (Triathlon)
    8/23/2014 Bintan,
  • Ironman Malaysia (Triathlon)
    9/27/2014 Langkawi Island,

Totals

• July's totals
  • June's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals