"GET TO MILE 18 on the run!"

Sunday - November 11

Run
  • 3h 34m 07s
  • 26.20 miles
  • 08m 10s /Mi

Harrisburg Marathon course, Harrisburg, PA

What a GREAT day for a marathon! A bit chilly to start but that changed once we got running the first few miles. Bright sunshine, temps in the low 60s later, really not much in the way of wind, and low humidity! Running weather doesn't get much better! I will write more tomorrow or the next day when I get a chance (still have to finish my IM distance Race Report!), but I just wanted to let all know that as you can see, I did quite well during this marathon though I missed qualifying for Boston by 4 min. Oh well....another year perhaps. Don't think I could've gone anyway if I actually got in. However, I pretty much blasted my previous fastest marathon time of 3:43 that I set in 2006 by 9 minutes, which is pretty huge in marathon time. My overall pace was right around an 8 until the last few miles when I unfortunately faded after mile 22. Just couldn't keep going as fast as I was. Still, my fastest pace previously was 8:36 and did 26 seconds per mile overall better than that here. I also happened to look at my watch at 13.1 and saw I was just under an 8 pace arriving there in 1:44, which is also a PR for me. So, it was a great day all around despite having some issues in the last few miles. Preliminary results based on the number of folks who had finished last I looked is that I came 345 out of 1346, but that number will probably be higher as the course hadn't closed yet when I looked. I also finished 20th in AG but they didn't list yet how many were in my AG, so kinda didn't mean anything. Still, really pleased with my standing overall! Thanks once again for all your support and well wishes!

• RACE DAY: Harrisburg Marathon

Saturday - November 10

Well, in just under 24 hours, I'll be running in my 4th supported marathon! Hopefully I'll be closer to 100% than I am now. My left knee of all things is sore and I may have to wear my brace for the marathon just for some added support. Another day of rest will help it and I'll gauge how it's doing tomorrow morning. Usually, I don't need the brace, but it's my weak knee and after all the IM training plus the last 3 weeks of training, it's kinda telling me that I need to rest after this. Will put pain cream on it too and stretch today, tomorrow morning. Interestingly, it usually doesn't bother me until after a race like it did after TGF. Now I'm still going for a PR tomorrow unless parts of my body just say "no". Will adjust to just finish and enjoy the experience if that happens. So, I'd like to finish with an 8:20 - 8:30 pace. But, if I'm feeling up to it, I will attempt to push towards an 8 pace to qualify for Boston. That's a secondary goal here. Need a 3:30 finishing time which would be pretty huge for me. I may talk to the 8:12 pace guy and see if I can stick with him, though it often takes me a bit to get up to speed. Still, 8:12 would be something too. I don't think I can hang with the 7:49 pacer quite honestly, until maybe later in the race once I got up to speed. Well, here's to hoping for achieving my secondary goal: "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?" ...Robert Browning Weather is looking super for the race! Sunny skies, no rain, low humidity, light winds, temps 46 to start and low 60s to finish! Just perfect! If I'm doing well, I'll have to watch my hydration needs later as temps around 60 may be a tad warm for a quicker pace. More after the race tomorrow!

• Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Hours slept: 8

Friday - November 9

Run
  • 20m 54s
  • 2.34 miles
  • 08m 56s /Mi

Quick out and back to test new socks before race on Sunday.

Sport #1
  • Aqua Jogging
  • 20m

digging, hauling/shoveling dirt/stones for drainage project

Sport #2
  • Yard Work
  • 2h 00m

digging, hauling/shoveling dirt/stones for drainage project

A light day today before the race on Sunday. I bought some new Feetures socks with a bit more padding/cushioning and wanted to try them out. So ran for the time indicated at Ft D. Seem to be okay and will use them on Sunday. Then 20 min of deep water running before the pool closed. Will take stats later this evening. Still have to go out and do some work on this drainage project and will do so in just a little while. More later... Yeah, a couple more hours on this drainage project. I'm getting there and hopefully will be done on Monday when I get another chance to work at it. Tomorrow is a rest day before the race. While I'm still excited about racing in this particular race, I'm not confident on my abilities at present as there's a lot of me that's just mildly sore or not 100%. But, with a day of rest, might bounce back one more time and race day always gets the adrenaline flowing. I think I may take an entire week off and just do nothing after this. Sat: travel to race site and packet pickup Sun: RACE!

• Health data: Soreness: 3

Thursday - November 8

Run
  • 58m 12s
  • 6.76 miles
  • 08m 37s /Mi

Looping around Ft D

Bib numbers are posted - number 1297! Getting excited about racing in what will be only my 4th supported marathon! Now note that I've done 4 ultras, several unsupported marathons training for the ultras i.e. it's just me without aid stations, etc, and one marathon now as part of TGF. Still, it's exciting to be part of a supported event with all the rest of the folks running and the crowds cheering you on! Weather is looking to be nearly perfect too - low 40s to start and mid 50s to finish, bright sunshine, light winds, and low humidity! I'm looking forward to it! More later... Stats taken after run and before dinner, %water 61.1. See, I wonder if the BF and water readings are not registering quite right. I'll have to check into this. Anyway, I did intend of this also being a light run. But, after the first mile, I started to feel pretty good about running and got into a fast cadence. Not sure what my pace was but it must've been in the low 8s or even sub-8 every now and then. Overall pace is okay, but note that this is my best marathon pace. Still, I felt pretty good during the run and felt I could've kept it going for a while. So, if I want a PR (and especially if I want to qualify for Boston), I've got to up the bar here a bit. At least I'll have mile markers and possibly pacers not too far away to let me know how I'm doing. They won't have an 8 pace group and I think the sub-8 might just wear me down too early. There is an 8:12 group that I might see if I can tag along with them. See what happens as adrenaline from the race plus the crowds usually keep me pumped. Tomorrow: easy 3 mile run and 1/2 water running after spending time on my drainage project (groan!) Sat: drive to race site and packet pick up. Sun: RACE!

• Calories out: 3090 From lifestyle:2386, From activities:704
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Hours slept: 6.5 Overall Workout: 4

Wednesday - November 7

Stats taken before dinner, %water 61.1. I had an appointment that ran over what I expected and I just didn't feel like doing anything after that as it was cold and dark out plus I was hungry. So, I'm just taking a down day. Think it's okay as I'm just tapering before the race on Sunday anyway. I will definitely run tomorrow after work, perhaps the 6.76 loop at Ft D. Then on Friday I have to attempt to complete this drainage project. But, no matter what, I should go to the pool and do deep water running or else a light spin. Sat: drive to race site Sun: RACE!!

• Calories out: 2420 From lifestyle:2420, From activities:0
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 6.5

Tuesday - November 6

Sport
  • Yard Work
  • 2h 00m

Digging and hauling dirt & stones, might've been more time but this was a bit off and on, taking breaks here and there.

I attempted to finish my drainage ditch project, but got very frustrated by the fact that I couldn't get the drainage slope correct for one section. A lot of digging without getting much closer to finishing. I at least got the whole trench dug, I just need to get the water slope correct now. A couple of possible solutions came too late for me to try them out. I'm tired and it's cold. So, nothing else today. I will definitely run the next two days, probably 7.37 and then 5+ miles on Thursday. On a positive note, my gluteus medius felt much better today :) Friday, I going to try and finish this project. Sat: off Sun: race Mon: off and if I don't finish this project on Friday, I will on Monday as it's looking like the rain will hold off until after that.

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 3 Soreness: 3

Monday - November 5

Well, legs feel fine after the 20 miler yesterday but I strained my gluteus medius working this landscape project. This happens sometimes when biking too, though it hasn't bothered me in some time now. It's better tonight, but in some ways unfortunately I've got to get this landscaping project done. Now, taking 1/2 day of work and will attempt to get this done tomorrow. I'll wear a back support so I don't strain this any further. If I can get the landscape project done tomorrow, I have the rest of the week for the area to recover. Usually doesn't affect my run too much, but I really need this back to like 90% so I can put forth the effort on Sunday. Of course will take IB and warm baths as needed to get it to heal. Tomorrow is actually an unknown due to the landscape project. I'll either get out for a light run or spin easy on my bike trainer for an hour to get some active recovery in. I could also go to pool and do some water running as the cool water would help any inflammation. That actually sounds like the best idea. More tomorrow....

• Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Sick: 2 Hours slept: 6

sbrdave's Training Log

November 2012 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races