It's all about the journey

Monday - August 19

Down day. Kinda need it after Saturday's brick because my inner thighs are a bit sore.

Tomorrow: lunchtime weights and run, evening OWS practice

Wed: light gym day as I have a tri club meeting in the evening

Thur: ride

Fri: swim, weights, and run

Sat: 3-hour stroke technique and OWS clinic with Doug Saar....then probably go out for my long brick of 52/9

Sun: easy 10 mile run on the C&O

Mon: off

Sunday - August 18

Run
  • 1h 14m 13s
  • 8.45 miles
  • 08m 46s /Mi

Long loop around Ft D

Stats taken after run and before dinner, %water 59.9 (though that looks like yesterday's). Gosh it feels SOOO GOOD to be able to run again! This was really supposed to be a recovery run but I was feeling good and went a little faster than planned. I taped my toe again but unfortunately, the tape started to come off and gave me a nice blister on my second toe :( I'll have to put some lube there on Tues when I run again. My right inside thigh is a bit sore where I cramped yesterday, so good thing I'm taking tomorrow off to give everything a rest. Not too far from the end of the run, I found an ID card of a dependent here on post. So, ran over to the gate guards so they could take care of returning it to its owner. Nice evening for a run, BTW. It was raining earlier in the day and I took care of some errands. But the rain left and the sun came out later. Perfect evening for the run!

Tomorrow: off

Tues: weights and run. Evening OWS practice

Wed: forgot I have a tri club meeting so probably just a short time at the gym instead of a ride.

Thur: ride

Fri: swim, weights, run

Sat: Long brick on 194 again. This time 1:20 on run for a 9+ miler

Sun: I should try for 10 miles on the C&O if I can.

• Calories out: 3214 From lifestyle:2333, From activities:881
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 8 Overall Workout: 4

Saturday - August 17

Bike
  • 2h 52m 40s
  • 51.85 miles
  • 18.02 Mi/hr

Out and back along 194 Walkersville to Littlestown PA

Run
  • 1h 00m 16s
  • 7.16 miles
  • 08m 25s /Mi

Out and back mostly on 194 but some through Walkersville.

Stats taken a while after the ride but before the party with LARGE AMOUNTS of food and drink, %water 59.9. Long brick today on 194. I would've liked to have done this tomorrow due the fact I was a bit rushed as I had a party to get to around 4 and I knew this would take around 4 hours to complete, not including getting to the parking lot where I'd start from. But it's supposed to rain tomorrow. So, headed out today instead. Tried to get an earlier start but didn't turn out that way, unfortunately. I thought it would be cooler but it did turn out to be in the low 80s later. Far amount of sunshine too. Had a headwind going out and I did have some tailwind going back but I think the winds were shifting near the end. Still a nice ride! Then switched to the run. Taped my foot and put moleskin as pad too. Felt okay running and moving out pretty well for most of the run. But, about 7 min before I was to be back, right inner thigh cramped fairly badly and I had to walk for a bit. Worked it out and finished the run. Nice average pace too! Tired this evening, I'll tell ya! Hopefully, will be okay to do a longish recovery run tomorrow. That will be slow.

So tomorrow I'm going to try and get out fairly early to beat the rain and get about an 8 miler in I think. If I feel better, go for 10.

Mon: off!

Tues: weights and run in the morning and OWS practice in the evening if weather holds.

Wed: ride

• Calories out: 5103 From lifestyle:2213, From activities:2889
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 7.5 Overall Workout: 4

Friday - August 16

Swim
  • 36m 52s
  • 1716.00 yards
  • -----

w/u 66 breast
4 x 396 RI :30, last set easy/hard
c/d 66 breast

Run
  • 13m 29s
  • 1.46 miles
  • 09m 15s /Mi

Run up to gym and back

Strength
  • 12m

Short workout most muscle groups RI :30 if needed, 2 sets, try for 15-20 reps

No stats this evening. Planned for the swim this morning but as I had a club social event in the early evening and wasted a bit of time after work, I had just enough time to run to the gym, do some strength, and run back. So nothing really special today.

Since it will be nice tomorrow, I'm planning a long brick of 52 and 6 along 194. I have a party to get to at 4 so can't waste a lot of time with the brick. I'd do it on Sunday but looks like rain.

Sun: So will try for an easy 8 mile run today before any rain comes in.

Tues: swim, weights, run

Thursday - August 15

Bike
  • 2h 19m 49s
  • 36.06 miles
  • 15.47 Mi/hr

Whew - up Hamburg and then looping around via Catoctin Hollow.

Stats taken after ride and before dinner, %water 59.5. My friend Ed H asked me if I wanted to join him for a ride and since I had planned one for this evening, I said "SURE!" as I really like riding with Ed and folks he rides with. Now Ed decided we would go up Hamburg road to the Catoctin Mountain spine on Gambrill Park Road. Welllll, I haven't done such a climb in a few years truth be told. Oh sure I've done some climbs but Hamburg was one of those I used when I was training for Savageman! So, it's been a while. One other person joined, Steve, and we met him at the beginning of Hamburg. About half of this I took in my middle chainring. But, it just got too much during the latter part and I had to go to my small chainring and granny gear which I haven't had to do in quite some time. And geeezz! This really is getting the heart rate up there and I'm nearly panting at the last part of the climb! Thankfully, we're rewarded with some nice downhills now though there are still a few short climbs. Went down Catoctin Hollow and as usually I'm going up it, it was very weird going the other way. And it REALLY seemed like a LONG downhill too! Had to really book back since the sun was setting and light was quickly leaving. Got back just after sunset. I'll tell ya another thing...it was CHILLY going downhill! I almost could've used arm warmers! Posted on Facebook today about the fact that Summer seems to be missing! It was only in the 70s today and actually in the upper 40s this morning. Gosh, I may just go to the pool during lunch again since it's going to be chilly again in the morning. While it's good weather for doing things outside, I miss the heat and in some ways, the humidity too. Yeah call me crazy but that's better training weather than this Fall-like weather we're experiencing now.

Sat: long brick and party at Racine's afterwards

Sun: recovery longish run

Wednesday - August 14

Run
  • 55m 54s
  • 5.87 miles
  • 09m 31s /Mi

Ft D run

Stats taken after run and before dinner, %water 59.3 (probably not enough time between weight measurements since these are the same numbers as yesterday). Well, I decided to attempt a run this evening since it was so nice out and I need to get back into running here. I taped my left foot for some support but I should've put the tape that I had on during the race as it's a bit more cushioned. Decided on a bit different route as I thought it would be a little shorter, which it turned out to be but that's only because I also cut it short a bit too. Actually Fall-like this evening which does make for good running weather overall but I prefer the heat for training purposes.

My left foot was doing relatively okay but my calves and thighs somewhat are still a bit sore. So, the left foot was flopping a bit more than it should be as I was compensating for the soreness. Also, I'm switching back to my regular insoles but might put some moleskin on the forefoot area just for a bit more padding. The right one doesn't fit correctly for the shoe and I actually did get a blister there on Sat. Overall, okay, but will continue to monitor.

Tomorrow: ride after work

Sat: long brick. I'm thinking 194 so I don't waste the gas going to WMRT. I also have to head out to Hagerstown for a party with friends.

Sun: easy longish run?

• Calories out: 3047 From lifestyle:2398, From activities:649
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 6 Overall Workout: 3

Tuesday - August 13

Swim
  • 31m 49s
  • 1452.00 yards
  • -----

w/u 132 breast
3 x 396 RI :30 last 5 laps easy/hard
c/d 132 mostly breast

Bike
  • 1h 12m 16s
  • 19.23 miles
  • 15.97 Mi/hr

Just up to Mountaindale and looping back around on Sundays Lane

Strength
  • 29m

Full body routine consisting of mini circuits, 2 sets each, RI :30 if needed, try for 15-20 reps

Sport
  • Walking
  • 30m

Walking time to and from the gym, estimated a bit as forgot to stop watch at one point. Would've only taken 22 min as usual but forgot something and had to go back home to get it.

It's pouring this morning and as I'm still sore in my legs, I'm probably just going to be a gym rat today. But, I'll see whether I can swim at lunch or not. More later...

Stats taken after ride and before dinner, %water 59.3. Hah! Rain ended in time for lap swim during lunch hour. So got to the pool after all. A bit difficult getting through some of the laps just because I'm a bit tired today since I really didn't get enough sleep last night. If the weather holds and because my calves are sore, thinking gym and an hour+ ride this evening. Perhaps I can try a light run tomorrow instead. Later...

No real rain later and got in the strength session and short bike that I had planned. Didn't want to go out too long since I'm still recovering from the weekend. Actually, it's mostly my calves that are sore because I haven't run in the last 4 weeks and I ran fast on Sat.

Tomorrow I'm going to attempt a run albeit I'll be going slowly.

Thurs: ride and think I'd like to try for a longer one out to Graceham and back for 2.5 hours

Sat: I'm thinking long brick on 194...maybe 52 and easy 6

Sunday: Easy 6-8

• Calories out: 3819 From lifestyle:2330, From activities:1489
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 3 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 6.5 Overall Workout: 3

sbrdave's Training Log

August 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races

• Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon (Triathlon)
    10/25/2014 Wilmington, North Carolina

Totals

• September's totals
  • August's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals