It's all about the journey

Sunday - September 1

Bike
  • 2h 28m 54s
  • 33.94 miles
  • 13.68 Mi/hr

The Half Full 40 Tri bike course in Columbia, MD

Welcome to September! Gosh, where did Summer go???

Just a quick note this morning that I received an email from USAT that, based on my performance at the Maryland Olympic Duathlon, invited me to the USAT AG National Duathlon Championship in Tuscon AZ! I'd love to go, but added up all the costs involved, thought about my finish at the USAT tri AG Nationals, paying for a new bike next year, and putting together a winter vacation. All said and done, I can't justify going. I'd much rather go to Aruba that I'm thinking about in January and I'm considering one sweet bike to celebrate my new AG for 2014 too. Gotta get priorities straight here. It's neat that I was invited considering the foot problem I had, though. Perhaps next year when I'm actually competing at that level.

Today I am planning to bike the Half Full Tri bike course with Jenn, but that may change as her daughter wasn't feeling very well last night. I still may go by myself. I thought about a long run but I think I want to give my foot a rest. Been working it rather hard and need to have it feeling great come next Sunday. More later...

Stats taken a few hours after the ride and also after getting a snack plus a pint of beer. As planned, did the Half Full Tri course with my friend Jenn. This is also the Columbia Tri bike course plus more to make it 32+ miles. As indicated, Jenn was able to go and ride the course. Jenn is timid on downhills as this is her first year with aerobars and actually she doesn't use them downhill (only on flats). Which I told her today that's a shame because she glides up the hills pretty well due to her lower weight with her fairly nice bike. I told her today that she'd be a "force to be reckoned with if she'd only go downhill on her aerobars". Her forte is also running as that's her background. Got early to the park and started off...but, had to go back to get my water bottles :( Silly me. I actually think I might've been okay because as you can tell, I was taking the course at Jenn's speed vs mine and only really taking the downhills fast. So, while I was working up a sweat, it was more from the outdoor heat than the ride. But, I wanted to ensure she was comfortable with this course as we'll both be facing it come Oct 6. And as I suspected she would, she was fine with most of the course. The only thing that got to her was the heat as it was in the upper 80s during the latter part of the course.

We grabbed a bite to eat on the way back and then visited a farm which recently opened it's own brewery! That was cool and the beer was very nice after the ride. Enjoyed it in the hot sun - AAAAaaahh! Tasted SO good! Good carb replenishment too ;)

A couple of pics:

Tomorrow: REST DAY

Tues: swim and 5 mile easy run

Wed: ride

Thurs: easy 3-4 mile run

Fri: morning swim, pack and leave for race site.

Sat: Race site activities. Might do a short practice swim.

Sun: RACE!

• Calories out: 3539 From lifestyle:2301, From activities:1238
  • Health data: Sleep: 2 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 8.5 Overall Workout: 4

Saturday - August 31

Swim
  • 35m 33s
  • 1968.50 yards
  • 01m 49s /100 yards

OWS Practice at Ft Ritchie
I think 12 x 150m

Bike
  • 2h 26m 54s
  • 44.30 miles
  • 18.09 Mi/hr

Out and back on WMRT

Run
  • 46m 46s
  • 6.00 miles
  • 07m 47s /Mi

Out and back on WMRT from parking lot to MP 3, might be just a tad longer from parking lot.

Stats taken a while after getting done with the brick and after getting something to drink, %water 60.2. As planned, probably the last OWS practice of the season because Ken Racine gets pretty busy this time of the year with all the events he's involved in plus his family life as well. Water was a comfortable 74 today and so wetsuit was okay the whole time. LOTS of folks here today because there are a good number of races either next weekend or the following ones and folks were taking advantage of it like myself. So, a bit more like conditions in a race. I actually did pretty good and was pushing here and there. Lost count, though, and wasn't sure if I really did the 12 laps I set out to do or not. But, I checked my pace from last Tues and it looked like I should've completed the 12 based on that and my time today.

Then move on to the brick. I had kinda made up my mind to take care of some errands first and then do a 52/7 on 194 this afternoon since it would be hot and humid, which I train in so I can adapt to such conditions for upcoming races if they're also hot. But, Ken decided that he would like to join me to get a good flat ride in as he had time and wasn't going to ride with the other guy that's coming with us out to Rev 3. Though the distance is a bit shorter (and I could've done 6 more miles on the bike for 50), agreed to meet Ken at the eastern trailhead. It's not really hot but it is humid and quite warm with sun and temps in the low 80s. So sweating just preparing to ride. The trail is well shaded but even so, one can still work up a good sweat especially if it gets humid which it did. Kinda nice having someone to ride with during training for once. So Ken and I talked about next Sunday's race as he was the one that convinced me to go since his sister (or cousins?) live practically 10 min from the race venue. It was good intel and I'm starting to get excited about going!

After we were done on the bike, we talked for a bit more and then Ken had to get back to family business for the rest of the day. Said goodbyes and I headed out on the run portion of the brick. Now, I would like to do 7:30s on the run course or at least sub-8s since I did 8:05 pace during my best half. So, after the first mile, I kicked things up. But, this was much too soon and I'm going to have to remember this during the race if I don't feel comfortable doing it. Probably the humidity I wasn't exactly used to either but after mile 2, I was having difficulty maintaining. Reached MP 3 under 16 which meant I was at least sub-8. But at mile 4, I decided I couldn't maintain and no sense in killing myself here. So throttled back until mile 5 where I picked things up again but not to the pace I was earlier. Decent pace overall, but I just wish I could feel comfortable going a bit faster. See what race day holds because I'm a different person when I'm racing it seems.

Sunday: If the rain holds off, I'm going to preview the Half Full bike course with Jenn. It's more for her than for me because the course is similar to Columbia Tri which I've done.

Monday: OFF...I really do need it and will be taking this week taper seriously so everything's fresh come Sunday.

Tues: swim and easy run 5 miles

Wed: easy bike

Thur: easy run 3-4 miles

Fri: morning swim, pack, leave for race site, and arrive later that night

Sat: At race site..might convince Ken to do a short practice swim but more important to drive the bike course

• Calories out: 5012 From lifestyle:2225, From activities:2787
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 7.5 Overall Workout: 4

Friday - August 30

Swim
  • 33m 10s
  • 1452.00 yards
  • -----

w/u 1 x 66 breast
10 x 99 free RI :10
6 x 66 kicking w/fins

Run
  • 15m 06s
  • 1.46 miles
  • 10m 20s /Mi

Jog to and from gym

Bike
  • 1h 13m 34s
  • 19.31 miles
  • 15.75 Mi/hr

From home out to Mountaindale and back.

Strength
  • 14m

Quick strength session exercising major groups, 2 sets each, 15 - 20 reps, RI :30 if needed

First up, last swim session in the outdoor pool (yea!). As I have OWS practice tomorrow morning, kept it a bit lighter per se by only doing 99s for the first set with a bit of rest in between. I did get one down to 1:47, though. So pushing here and there. Then switched to a bit of kicking w/fins and my swim snorkel. Left calf complained here and there but I'm hoping I can get the ankles strengthened as well as flexing a bit more. My Z2 Zoomer fins will hopefully help as well. As I have been a promoter of Doug Saar's Swim 4 Purpose clinics, he offered the next one at a discount on Sept 15. So, I signed up for it this time at the later session so hopefully it will be warmer in the pool this time. Next up today, weights and easy bike...

Stats taken after ride and before dinner, %water 60.5. Stuck to the plan with strength and bike plus threw in the short jog to and from the gym. Nice evening for a ride as it was sunny and warm! Getting dark early though and I can see I'm going to have to start getting out earlier for rides.

Tomorrow: OWS practice in the morning then it's now looking like a brick on the WMRT as Ken has changed his plans and wants to go with me. I had pretty much already decided on 194 but I had been going back and forth on that thought. WMRT will work just as well and perhaps better considering how my muscles are feeling lately. It would help if I got done a bit earlier in the day anyway.

Sunday: Preview the Half Full Tri course with Jenn. Will take this real easy and at her pace

Monday: Off

Tues: swim and easy run, 6 miles

Thurs: easy run, 4 miles

Fri: swim in the morning, pack and go to Ken's to leave for race, arrive at race site in the evening

Sat: pre race activities...

Monday: off, pizza and beer on tap if we don't do that on Sun

• Calories out: 3616 From lifestyle:2324, From activities:1292
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 6.5 Overall Workout: 3

Thursday - August 29

Run
  • 39m 09s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 09m 47s /Mi

Run to gym
On treadmill, 2 min jog then 11 intervals, 1 min 6:27 pace x 1 min 17:06 pace
2 min cool down
Run back to home

Stats taken after workout, %water 60.2. As I had to stay late at work, decided to do a short run interval session on the treadmill at the gym before it closed. Had a bit of a problem starting the intervals but worked out after a bit and think I got 11 in consisting of what I wrote above. Then just ran back to the house. I probably shouldn't have done that fast a pace given my left foot but I taped it and it was doing okay. Won't do those again next week.

One issue that cropped up is that my right hamstring is sore. Gosh, I certainly don't need to pull a muscle there. Will take the hamstring machine easy tomorrow.

Tomorrow: swim, weights, and easy ride. Last time at the outdoor pool (yea!)

Sat: OWS practice in the morning and then last long brick. After reviewing my HIM training in the logs I'm leaning towards 44 and 8 on the WMRT. But, for the heat training, I may still do 52/7 on 194. Will decide on Sat.

Sun: if weather cooperates, will preview the Half Full Tri course with Jenn

Mon: taking the day off, but perhaps will do either yoga or stretching

Tues: swim and easy run

Wed: easy ride

Thur: perhaps an easy brick

Fri: swim in the morning and that might be it. Pack and leave for race site with my friends.

Sat: At race site.

• Calories out: 2844 From lifestyle:2393, From activities:452
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 7 Overall Workout: 4

Wednesday - August 28

Swim
  • 38m 05s
  • 1518.00 yards
  • -----

w/u 66 breast
1 x 792 free
10 x 66 kicking w/fins

Bike
  • 1h 37m 26s
  • 24.19 miles
  • 14.90 Mi/hr

Longer loop from home on Putnam and back through Lewistown on Hessong Bridge.

Finally posted my race report for the Maryland Olympic Duathlon on July 14....working on AG Nationals

Pool session is first up today. Decided to do a 792 continuous and then work my legs kicking with fins. The latter is actually more difficult because of my left calf which cramps when I point my toes. But, the swim clinic on Sat showed that I really need to do more work in this area and see if I can get more flexibility/strengthen the area/get the calf muscles more used to this. The 792 was okay and it was more of a build set than anything else. Then did various version of kicking with fins and using my swim snorkel for the first 398. Calf was bothering me after these and I could only do 4 more while kicking on my back with fins. Will continue to work. Need to get different fins that Doug Saar and Fred H recommended (Zoomers, Z2).

Now it's raining off and on today. I had hoped to bike later but will see whether the rain clears up or not. Might just be a gym rat instead. More later...

Stats taken after ride and before dinner, %water 60.2. Most of the steady rain had stopped and moved south with only spotty showers in the area. So, while roads were wet here and there, I decided to get out for a ride rather than go to the gym. Legs are fairly tired and somewhat sore from yesterday's weights and fairly hard run. So, though I decided to do Putnam for a longer ride, I kept things low key and didn't push during the ride. Humid out after the rain today and the sun came out halfway into the ride. Also hit a light shower too around the same time, which I got out of after I was headed back. Not bad ride and glad I was able to get out.

Thurs: Run intervals on the treadmill followed by a warm down outside

Fri: swim, weights, and bike. Last outdoor pool swim - yea!

Sat: OWS practice in the morning if weather cooperates and hopefully last long brick. Debating whether I should do the same thing as last weekend only shorten the run back to 7 or do the WMRT and do a fast 6. Will decide later.

Sun: going to try to preview the Half Full Tri bike course with Jenn if weather cooperates.

Mon: Rest Day

Tues: swim and run, no weights week prior

Thur: easy run or ride, prep for trip

Fri: something light in the morning, leave in the afternoon with my friends for the race site

Sat: At race site

• Calories out: 3670 From lifestyle:2330, From activities:1341
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 5.5 Overall Workout: 3

Tuesday - August 27

Run #1
  • 15m 32s
  • 1.46 miles
  • 10m 38s /Mi

Jog to the gym and back.

Run #2
  • 54m 39s
  • 7.07 miles
  • 07m 43s /Mi

Ft D loop from home

Strength
  • 25m

Full body, 2 sets each, try for 15-20 reps, RI :30 if needed

Stats taken after the run and before dinner, %water 60.5. As planned, weights and run this evening. After weights, I decided to do a relatively fast run looping around Ft D. Now perhaps I just don't have the right motivation that I have on race day and I thought I was moving quite well, but the overall pace just doesn't match 1) what I wanted & 2) what I thought I was doing. I really was pushing too! I wasn't sprinting but I was definitely feeling it! I guess I'm just a different person when I'm racing or something. In any case, it was still a good run and in the heat and humidity to get me used to that if needed.

Wed: morning swim and afternoon bike

Thurs: I had thought of biking but because I'm probably going to get back late again from work is hit the treadmill at the gym for some fast intervals of sub-7s for 20 min and then an easy jog of 20 min. Have to monitor my toe which is doing much better. Seems if I just wrap it once with a piece of the tape, that works pretty well.

Fri: EASY bike

Sat: OWS practice in the morning, long brick in the afternoon. Might repeat last weekend because I need to continue to be out in the sun and heat.

Sun: If Jenn still wants to, will preview the Half Full Tri bike course.

Mon: Supposed to be off...will see since it's a holiday. If it rains, guess I'll take in a movie.

• Calories out: 3440 From lifestyle:2349, From activities:1091
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Injury: 2 Hours slept: 6.5 Overall Workout: 4

Monday - August 26

Rest day.

Tues: evening weights and run

Wed: swim and ride depending on weather

Thur: ride

Fri: swim, weights, run

Sat: morning OWS practice, afternoon long brick 50/8 perhaps on WMRT

Sun: previewing the Half Full Tri bike course

Mon: rest

sbrdave's Training Log

September 2013 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat