It's all about the journey

Monday - June 16

Rest day today. Taking bike in for back tube replacement, cable check, and to get some info on changing the back tire tube. The thing I worried about was putting the chain/bearings(?) on the ground while doing that. Want to see what I should do to protect the bike. Think I might get a different back tire too.

Got to bed relatively early last night and tried to sleep. But headache (from beer) and heat in the house kept me awake. Get a bit more sleep on the train hopefully.

Back at it tomorrow.

Sunday - June 15

Run
  • 2h 02m 46s
  • 13.51 miles
  • 09m 05s /Mi

Z1 run looping around Ft D

Bike #1
  • 10m
  • 2.99 miles
  • 17.94 Mi/hr

Warm up on CT, last half or so at 100 rpm, Z1

Bike #2
  • 1h 00m 01s
  • 17.51 miles
  • 17.51 Mi/hr

55 min at 100 rpm Z1, c/d 5 min

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

Stats taken after run and before getting something to drink/eat, %water 61.9. Plan today calls for 2 hour Z1 run and 1 hr Z1 spin at 100 rpm. Got the run done first and will do the spin much later after dinner in the evening. Full day today as I'm leaving soon to treat myself to a short Roman bath and then 30 min full massage. It's an hour drive but well worth it! Then will spend dinner with my daughter to celebrate the day as well as her birthday that's coming up later this week. I'll attempt to the bike spin while watching a movie later this evening. More then...

As planned, Roman bath & massage, dinner with my daughter (ate FAR TOO MUCH!), and then ended it with a Z1 1 hr 100 rpm spin on the trainer.

Tomorrow - day off/rest. Have to take bike in to get a bit of instruction of changing the back tire, perhaps get a new tire, check cables, get a couple of 80" stem tubes, maybe a couple more CO2 cartridges.

Substituting week 21 with week 22 so that I have a bit of a taper before Syracuse. Think I'll use week 23 for 22 for a bit of recovery, put week 21 for week 23 and pick back up on week 24.

So, this week:

Tues: weights and 1 hr Z2 with 5 x (1 min PU, 1 min jog) at 10 minutes into run. OWS in the evening depending on weather

Wed: Hopefully I have time after work for a Z2 brick w/45 min ride on trainer and 30 min run due to the fact that I have my tri club meeting at 7. Should be able to get this in.

Thurs: last weights before race. 1hr Z1 ride on trainer. At 15 min, 5 x (1 min PU, 1 min spin).

Friday: morning swim and 40 min Z1 run and @ 10 min (5 x 1 min PU, 1 min jog). Might make 1 last stop into bike shop for once over. Pack for race.

Sat: leave early morning for race site and usual prep once there.

Sun: RACE!

• Calories out: 4354 From lifestyle:2176, From activities:2178
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 5 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4 Hours slept: 8.5 Overall Workout: 4

Saturday - June 14

Bike
  • 2h 37m 04s
  • 38.86 miles
  • 14.84 Mi/hr

Along route 40 but cut short due to flats

Run
  • 51m 32s
  • 6.22 miles
  • 08m 17s /Mi

Alternate run after failed bike

Sport
  • Walking
  • 35m

Walking bike after 2nd flat, time estimated

Stats taken after run and before dinner, %water 61.4. The original plan called for 4 hours riding and 45 min running. Well, thought perhaps I should get a bit more running done since I have the HIM next week. So, perhaps 3.5 and over an hour run. Thought a double out and back on route 40 starting from Myersville might just be the ticket because of the long uphills and downhills. Unfortunately, things/errands took too long this morning and so I didn't get out early enough, plus I forgot something and had to go back for it. When I started it was real late, but still had plenty of daylight for the plan. And things were going okay for the most part. I was definitely getting in good uphill work and then zooming on the downhills! I finished lap 1 around 1:45 and headed off for lap 2. I was almost at the 1st turnaround when my back tire went! Okay, see if I can do this since I hadn't changed the tube on the back tire. Though slow, doing okay and I managed. But, I had not brought the longer stem tube needed for the back wheel and I can see this is going to be required even if the front goes. Now the only thing was, something was still wrong near the stem as the tire wasn't seated correctly and the first CO2 didn't seem to completely work. So I used the other but the incorrect part was still there. What I should've done was let the air back out and seated the tire correctly. But, I didn't :( Started back and the tire is thumping! Well the ride is definitely done if I can get back. Alas, 2 miles left and the spare tube went as well. Nothing to do but walk. At least it wasn't raining or near dark. Got back to the car and was going to run but decided to just head home and run from there. I had enough of route 40 and also there was a picnic at the park where I was going to use the facilities and didn't want to interrupt. Got home and did a usual route in Z2. Good run and it continues to be a positive part of tri for me.

Tomorrow calls for a 1 hour spin at 100 rpm Z1 plus a 2 hour Z1 run. Will see if I can fit all of this in as I have to also get to my massage appointment way over in Berkeley Springs and then dinner with my daughter late afternoon. Might do the spin in the evening while watching a movie. That certainly would free up some time.

Monday - off. Get bike checked again as it fell over at the park :(

The next week I'm substituting the week before the HIM in the BIF2 for the one called for so I get a taper before the race.

• Calories out: 4486 From lifestyle:2148, From activities:2338
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 7 Overall Workout: 2

Friday - June 13

Swim
  • 31m 27s
  • 1476.38 yards
  • 02m 08s /100 yards

w/u 300 free easy
20 x (25 easy/25 hard) free
c/d 50 breast

Run
  • 1h 16m 26s
  • 9.48 miles
  • 08m 03s /Mi

Z2 run with 10 @ Z4 after an hour

Strength
  • 14m

arms, abs, upper body

WELCOME TO FRIDAY THE 13TH! Stats taken after run and before dinner, %water 61.6. Decided to try and add a little bit more interval work to my swim. So after a w/u, decided on some easy/hard 50s. This is more like intervals on the track I think and will continue to see about doing more of these and maybe as 50s later. Upper body strength after that.

Then a Z2 run outside later in the heat before any storms came. Most at Z2 with a Z4 effort after an hour. I'll tell ya, I'm getting fast on the run, even for Z2.

Tomorrow I plan for a 3-3.5 hour ride and then 8 mile run for over an hour on route 40 which should provide some nice hill work for both disciplines.

Sunday: 1 hour Z1 100 rpm spin inside and a 2 hour Z1 run. Then off to WV for a Roman bath and massage - how I'll enjoy that! Then Father's Day dinner with my daughter.

Monday: off

• Calories out: 3571 From lifestyle:2262, From activities:1309
  • Health data: Sleep: 3 Stress: 4 Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 6 Overall Workout: 4

Thursday - June 12

Bike
  • 1h 00m 23s
  • 14.64 miles
  • 14.55 Mi/hr

On the CT:

w/u 10 min 40-60% FTP
Half of 5 X 10 Power intervals:
- 6 min w/u,
- 4 min up to 92%
- 4.5 min rest
- 2 x (10 min hold 92% 5 min, up to 109%, 4.5 min rest)

Was supposed to repeat 3 more times but...see log text

Strength
  • 26m

Legs and abs

Sport
  • Elliptical Training
  • 10m

w/u before strength

Qualified for USAT 2014 Olympic distance Nationals again! But... not going this time. I don't really need to go back to Milwaukee again and I'm already traveling a lot this year. I've also got other goals this season and it's a few weeks prior to IM Louisville. So, see where Nationals are next year since they should move after this year and perhaps try again, especially if they're closer. More later after training for the day.

Stats taken after workout and before dinner, %water 62 (think this is the lowest %BF I've seen so far. Hope I can keep the trend up). The plan called for Z4 intervals: start in Z2 and @15 min do 8 x (4 min Z4, 2 min spin), end in Z2 for 1:30. But, I kinda messed up a bit on time getting prepared and so thought this CT session of 5 x 10 min power intervals would work instead. But, I started late and these were pretty tough without a few more gears as I only had my 11-23 on the back. When I started the 3rd one, I was shaking a bit and decided to call it quits. I hadn't eaten yet either and it was after 9 PM. So, best to end, refuel, and recover. Next time plan a bit better. I should've also made this perhaps a bit easier for the gears which I can do and just didn't. Will know better next time. Still 10 weeks to go and many more workouts fer shure.

So tomorrow: swim, weights, and 1:15 hr run starting in Z2. At 1 hour, 10 min of Z4.

Sat: 3 hours biking in Z2 (may try the route 40 idea) and then 8 miles running

Sun: easy 1 hour spin in morning on trainer, followed by 2 hour Z1 - Z2 run around Ft D. Then treat myself to Roman bath and massage followed by going out for dinner with family.

Mon: off

• Calories out: 3141 From lifestyle:2279, From activities:862
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 RHR: 45 Hours slept: 6 Overall Workout: 2

Wednesday - June 11

Bike
  • 48m 48s
  • 13.75 miles
  • 16.91 Mi/hr

Z2 effort, ride portion of brick

Run
  • 35m 40s
  • 4.47 miles
  • 07m 58s /Mi

Supposed to be Z2 effort, run portion of brick

Stats taken after run and before dinner, %water 61.9 (though this is a trend reading I think. Still, like the fact I'm seem to be staying more in the mid 140s now :) ). Despite the weather, followed the plan, though it didn't go quite according to what I wanted. Got everything ready last evening and this morning only to forget both Garmins :( I could've done without them but wanted to continue to gather data when I could. So, had to go back home after work and get them. And unfortunately, weather was continuing to deteriorate with storms advancing from the south. Still thought I had enough time to at least get the ride in and would take another look at the radar when I got back. Chose to go where I did those 11 hill repeats last Friday just to see how I could do up that hill. Though the bike does weigh a bit less as well as me, I still don't seem to have much momentum up hills :(. Now going downhill is a different story and the bike definitely moves and is easy to ride as well as responsive. I'll continue to work on it.

Got back, checked the radar, and thought I had just enough time to fit my run in. It did start to rain a bit during the run and thunder was getting closer as I continued. But, got back just before the real fireworks started. Decent brick.

Tomorrow looks like weights and then trainer day as I'll be able to control things more on the trainer than going outside. Do leg work and abs first at the gym. Will note plan then.

Friday: swim, weights, and run. Will note plan then.

Sat: 3 hour Z2 ride followed by 8 mile run.

Sun: easy 100 rpm Z1 trainer session followed by easy 2 hour Z1 run. Then time for Roman bath, massage, and go out to dinner for Father's Day.

Mon: rest.

• Calories out: 3313 From lifestyle:2272, From activities:1040
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 6 Overall Workout: 4

Tuesday - June 10

Run #1
  • 07m 17s
  • 0.68 miles
  • 10m 42s /Mi

Run to gym

Run #2
  • 06m 51s
  • 0.70 miles
  • 09m 47s /Mi

Run back from gym

Run #3
  • 1h 00m 09s
  • 7.02 miles
  • 08m 34s /Mi

Mostly Z2 effort with 4 x (4.5 min Z4 by 1.5 min jog) after 10 min

Swim
  • 27m 28s
  • 1640.42 yards
  • 01m 41s /100 yards

OWS practice at Ft Ritchie. Garmin has problems there.

Strength
  • 13m

Light arms, upper body, abs

Welcome to Ironman training week 20!

Plan for today is first strength and then 1hr Z2 run. @10 min insert 4 x (4.5 min Z4, 1.5 jog). Then if weather cooperates, OWS practice a Ft Ritchie. More later...

Stats taken after OWS and before dinner, %water 61.9. Followed the plan today and got out in the heat to essentially do four fairly long Z4 intervals with a rest interval. I also used my new K Swiss shoes which I ordered sometime ago and they bothered me on the latter part of the run. Guess they need breaking in. I will decide before Syracuse which pair to use as my others are still okay. It's just been nearly a year now using them. I also ordered some Zoot Ultras but will start using those after Syracuse. The gym was closed due to an event and so I did some light upper body/arm weights at home plus some abs.

Finally OWS tonight. My Garmin has issues there and so estimated the distance. Water was 78 and really didn't need a wetsuit but swimming with it in case Syracuse is still wetsuit legal. Won't need it soon I see.

Tomorrow if weather cooperates, I'll do a short brick on route 40 out of the park at Myersville so I can get some more hill work in. If weather is not so good, I will possibly do an hour on the trainer and then either run outside or go to the gym and hit the treadmill.

Thursday: Might be best on the trainer with 1:30 in Z2 and insert 8 x (4 min Z4, 2 min spin)

Friday: swim, weights, and 1:15 Z2 run. At 1 hr insert 10 min at Z4

Sat: Plan calls for brick of 4 hour ride and 45 min run. But, I'm thinking 3 hr ride and 6-8 mile run.

Sun: busy day as it's Father's Day and I have plans. So, get up relatively early for easy 100 rpm spin on trainer followed by easy 2 hour Z1 run on Ft D. Then heading out to same place I went to last year for 15 min Roman bath and 1/2 massage. Dinner with family after that.

Mon: off/ rest

• Calories out: 3461 From lifestyle:2257, From activities:1204
  • Health data: Sleep: 4 Stress: 4 Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 6.5 Overall Workout: 4

sbrdave's Training Log

June 2014 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30     

Volume

Time
Distance

Upcoming races

• Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon (Triathlon)
    10/25/2014 Wilmington, North Carolina

Totals

• October's totals
  • September's totals
  • 2014 totals
  • 2013 totals