Bike
  • 55m 36s
  • 17.73 miles
  • 19.13 Mi/hr

Week 5, Q1
88.2 RPM

I looked at the session - 5 X 3' - and thought, "Ah, Jorge is giving us an easy session to start this week. WRONG!" 5 X 3' looks so easy on paper :)

My mind and spirit is craving a Long Run badly.  Between the fiasco in the woods, and the freezing rain, it just wasn't happening yesterday.  (Plus my in-laws were over so I didn't want to be too rude.)  I'd run Long today, but I kept my daughter home.  Her breathing was horrible last night.  Her asthma acts up terribly when the temperatures plunge.  I'll go Long sometime this week.  :) 

Drainer tonight.  Week 5, Q1. 

• Health data: Soreness: 3 Fatigue: 4
Bike
  • 45m 41s
  • 7.47 miles
  • 9.81 Mi/hr

So I went Mountain Biking and the strangest thing happen. (Follow me here. I promise it'll be worth it and I'll keep it as short as possible.)

So I ride through my neigborhood and cut through to the main road and onto the New York State Mountain Biking Trail: a parcel of woods wedged between a surburban neighborhood and the Calverton National Cemetery. A HUGE cemetery where all the war veterans, including my Grandpa, are layed to rest. I go bolting into the trail, and in the little dirt cut-out of a parking lot are two mountain biker dudes with three dogs. I say hello, the dogs are friendly, I enter the trail.

30 minutes later and five miles deep into the woods I hear some noise and I see the other mountain bikers on a main wide Fire Trail and their dogs start barking and whining in a disturbing manner. I think nothing of it, I keep riding this little off-shoot course off the Main Loop called "Roller Coaster". I'm going on my 3rd time riding this loop, it's got three good climbs and descents, and I'm getting a good workout in. All of a a sudden I hear this noise -- a distant chorus of barking and yelping. It gets closer. I look over at the other Mountain Bikers around 50 yards away throught the trees and woods and they start screaming like they are hurding cattle. The yelping reaches a fever pitch instantly and the cries of a dozen dogs screams through the woods. I look and see a pack of 8 or 10 white dogs attacking the mountain biker dudes dogs!

I think, "Oh my God. What do I do?"

The Mountain Bike dudes are frantically, desperately screaming "Get away" "Go!" Dogs are screeching and hollering, and this massive pack of dogs are yelping and darting all over the thick woods. My first instinct is to 'help', but then I realize I don't know these guys, I don't want to get mauled by a rabid pack of coy dogs, I'm sorry but I'm hightailing it out of here. What the heck am I gonna do against a wild pack of dogs who live in the woods anyway!?

So scared, I feverishly pedal up the first climb on Roller Coaster, and sure enough the dogs are chasing the other dog and they are coming right at me!! Scared shitless, I ditch my bike and climb 20 feet up a tree. A dozen dogs go flying by me and I realize they look like purebreds who are very well taken care of. The dogs pass, I drop out of the tree, and then standing right before me is a HUGE white horse. Atop this massive beast is a man dressed in a red English outfit, fitted with a tall black hat and giant crescent-shaped horn.

I looked at him, cursed him out, and then asked if he had permission to be in the woods. He said, with an obviously fake English accent, "The dogs are harmless. They make lick you to death." And then he rides past me.

The other mountain bikers and a new mountain biker dude come up to me -- we're all trading disbelieving looks -- and at the bottom of the Roller Coaster course are ATLEAST 20 other horses with people all dressed in the same crazy get-up just sitting there. The one-mountain biker guy said the dogs chased his dog away. He was pretty distraught.

Another crazy guy on a horse rides up to us and I gave him the verbal business, too. I told him this is a NY State Bike course, No Hunting is permitted and he says, with another weird, awkwardly faked English accent, "I believe we have permission to be here. And we're not hunting. We're practicing following scent." He then takes off.

I told the other guys on bikes that I've had enough of this shit and I'm calling it a day. I wished the other guy luck finding his dog. The one dude with the horn starts blowing it and all you hear are the dogs yelping. I hightail it out of there and cut straight through the woods to the road.

Back at my house, in my garage, I'm contemplating calling the DEC. Throughout my whole neighborhood you could here this loud, hideous elk horn and dogs barking. Suddenly, the pack of hound dogs comes bounding out of the woods and they fly into my neighborhood!! The one red coat dude comes galloping out of the woods, sees that it's a residential neighborhood, turns around and goes back into the woods. He then sits at the woodline blowing this stupid fucking horn for close to an hour straight. So I dial 911 and I'm telling the girl that answers what happening. She's not believing me. She passes me to the desk sargeant and he hangs up on me. I call the DEC, and no one answers the phone.

Not wanting to go back into the woods, I throw on my running shoes and start my icy cold, rainy run. For an hour I listened to this idiot blowing his horn and watching neighbors come out of their houses and wonder what the heck was going on. I heard a bunch of sirens and then no more dogs yelping and no more horn.

The whole ordeal was like something out of a movie. What a day. I got the shit scared out of me and it turned out I was in the middle of a Fox Hunt with a bunch of crazy men. Sigh.

Run
  • 1h 08m
  • 8.39 miles
  • 08m 06s /Mi

MLSD

This was supposed to be a LSD but it's cold and raining and the "event" in the woods had eaten up a lot of time.

I had 4 consecutive miles at exatly 8:10 mile, and one mile was 8:13 so I basically had 5 consecutive miles of perfect pacing and it wasn't a flat course either. Thanks to the Garmin, I know this :)

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 10m

Stretching, foam rolling. Fun fun :)

Bike
  • 1h 01m 45s
  • 20.23 miles
  • 19.66 Mi/hr

Jorge Week 4 Q3

10' Intervals are hard. I really wanted to just 'phone' this workout in, and do a moderate to EZ tempo for an hour, but what is that going to get me? That'll just help me "maintain"... and quite frankly, I don't want to maintain. I want to get faster. I want to compete and maximize my potential. So in order to do so I am convincing myself to follow this plan and give it everything I got. I'm so nauseous right now, I feel like throwing up all the cake, cookies and coffee I ate and drank today.

Slept in this morning.  I have my son's birthday party today. I rented out an indoor sports court where him and his friends are gonna play DODGEBALL!  Then I have my whole family coming over tonight.  Yay.  Hopefully I can kick them out early enough so I can jump on the trainer. 

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 3 Hours slept: 10
Swim
  • 50m 23s
  • 2550.00 meters
  • 01m 59s /100 meters

1 X 550 WU
1 X 600 EZ
1 X 550 EZ
1 X 350 Tempo
1 X 500 Moderate

I'll jump on the Trainer in the morning. Then LSD Sunday after Mountain Biking.

Day #5: Daughter is fine now.  But it's 25 degrees out, with a real feel temp of 10 degrees, so I kept her home one last day.  Next week I plan to get in a lot of Swimming.  I refuse to let my Swimming fall to the way side.  I may even Swim tonight and just do my Jorge Session on an exercise bike at the Y gym.  We'll see. 

Run
    • 46m 38s
    • 5.89 miles
    • 07m 55s /Mi

Aerobic
    Baby it's COLD outside!

Run
    • 40m 36s
    • 5.60 miles
    • 07m 15s /Mi

Once again started Aerobic and went Tempo. Since I have to wait for the wife to get home to run, I'm not left with a lot of light. Perhaps tomorrow I'll get a LSD in.

Bike
    • 55m 42s
    • 17.26 miles
    • 18.59 Mi/hr

Jorge Week 4 Q2
    88 RPM AVG

I feel like I did something wrong, and these sessions are punishment.

Part of me wants to release the tension atleast one turn on my trainer (I've got it cranked as far as it can go) but something tells me, come Spring I'll be happy I didn't. Meanwhile, I am sHreDding my quads :)

Day # 3 of the Ear Infection.  I actually think she may have been well enough to go to pre-school today, but it's raining buckets, it's cold and it's windy ...so I'll just keep her home one more day to be safe ;) :)  Plus I can't go running or mountain biking anyway due to the rain.  I'm debating joining the gym so I can run indoors; I'll probably just wait till the New Years Special to join. 

Trainer tonight.  Yippee!

Before I know it (I'm told) she'll be a teenager and want nothing to do with daddy.  So while she is little, I will love her and snuggle her and keep her home and close to me :)

• Health data: Fatigue: 4
    Bike
    • 1h 00m 04s
    • 18.16 miles
    • 18.14 Mi/hr

Coach Troy LP Training Video

91.7 RPM Avg ... which is very high for me. Normally around 83. I like more power than spin, but Coach Troy says this will help me spin faster in the lower gears. I'll give it a whirl.

Day #2: Home with a little girl who has an ear infection.  Once again no Swim.  Actually, I probably would've thrown on my Sugoi ski mask-thingy and gone Mountain Biking!  Maybe tomorrow.  Have to wait till the wife gets home and then I can Run (with the few minutes of light that are left) and maybe jump on the Trainer.  I should, I will get on the Trainer. 

There was a good article by Andy Potts in last months Triathlete Magazine where he pretty much says he came to Triathlon as a Swimmer.  While some people told him to put his Swimming to the side and focus on Running and Biking, he decided against that advice and instead kept Swimming just as much, and brought his running and biking up to the level of his swimming.  I would like to try that.  I would really like to maintain my running (as it's never been at this level before) and I'd like to get my biking and swimming up to that same level.  If I could do that, I'd be sitting pretty.  And I do realize this means I must commit a lot more time to Biking and Swimming -- and I plan to do just that... once my daughter is better :) 

• Health data: Soreness: 4 Fatigue: 4

Dream Chaser's Training Log

December 2009 
    SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
       1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    13 14 15 16 17 18 19
    20 21 22 23 24 25 26
    27 28 29 30 31  

Time
    Distance
    • October's totals